Dealbreaker:His name?

#1 Edited by SmoothJammin (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone turned off by the name Dick?lol

In our modern age, are certain names best left in the past?

I don't have any problem with it personally

#2 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

Is anyone turned off by the name Dick?lol

In our modern age, are certain names best left in the past?

I don't have any problem with it personally

I don't, but I've pretty much grown up with it.

...I've seen many a person been turned off by it. While I definitely wouldn't like it if it was changed, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed his name to another Nickname from Richard. I'd definitely hate it though.

#3 Posted by danhimself (22713 posts) - - Show Bio

I think most readers are mature enough to not care about his name

#4 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally me and most mature comic readers should be able to handle it, but there will always be the person who makes it into a joke. However there's no point in changing something which has been that way for 70 years, for a slim margin of readers and non-fans.

#5 Posted by jrock85 (2850 posts) - - Show Bio

Its no big deal.

#6 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey....chicks love Dick, don't mess with his mojo

#7 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

I always hated it when Alred called him Master Richard. Only because it always made me think that what if DC decided "Dick" was too inappropriate for young readers and started calling him Rich, Richard, Ricky, or something like that. I think Dick suits him perfectly and shouldn't be changed. People these days should be mature enough to accept the name, Dick. /rant.

#8 Edited by SmoothJammin (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally. I just sometimes get this awful sinking feeling when Alfred calls him Master Dick because Richard sounds so refined and sophisticated. Atleast with friends and family, Dick is fine. But with someone as articulate as Alfred it gives the full name some kick. But yeah. I can tolerate it. It's a cool name, very easy on the ears.

Something like Jason Todd however. That's a mouthful

#9 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

Totally. I just sometimes get this awful sinking feeling when Alfred calls him Master Dick because Richard sounds so refined and sophisticated. Atleast with friends and family, Dick is fine. But with someone as articulate as Alfred it gives the full name some kick. But yeah. I can tolerate it. It's a cool name, very easy on the ears.

Something like Jason Todd however. That's a mouthful

Very true.

#10 Posted by notquitevarsity (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I think his name is the reason he's not more popular. I personally don't mind it, but its definitely not an inviting name. Plus its getting less and less popular. I think if comics are around in 40 years they'll probably change it to Rick or Richard or something.

#11 Posted by SmoothJammin (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

@notquitevarsity: Why Rick? lol

But yea you're probably right broski

#12 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not the fact that he is named Dick, so much as the fact that he has 40 years of quasi-homosexual writing that sets Grayson back. The reason that Tim Drake is more popular is not due to overall badassedness, but the fact that he never wakes up in Bruce Wayne's bed after a long night of crime fighting.

This being said I love Grayson as Nightwing. However, all the mainstream is presented with is jokes from Family Guy referring to the retardation of Aquaman and the incompetence of Robin. None of which help to repair the fact that his nickname is now referred to as a male sex organ

#13 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how anyone can hate Nightwing.

Who doesn't love Dick?

#14 Edited by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n: Tim isn't the most popular, his costume is. they usually use Dick's name but put him in Tim's costume so you could say that Tim is the most visually recognizable to the main stream but not the most popular

#15 Posted by notquitevarsity (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: Idk Rick is an easy change I guess lol. It only takes one letter. Plus isn't Rick a nickname for Richard. I feel like it should be.

#16 Edited by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

We all like Dick dont we? I dont have a problem with Dick... In fact... Many people really much enjoy Dick. To change that would be hard to swallow... it would be quite a mouthful. Those who hate Dick is just butthurt, they should stop being such wankers, it blows that they cant just grow up, i really have a bone to pick with them. They just need to get it straight and just plow throught it.. But i guess its a hard situation for some with a floppy personality... Its a hard world, they should stop being so soft.

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

The puns begin...

#18 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skunkstein said:

We all like Dick dont we? I dont have a problem with Dick... In fact... Many people really much enjoy Dick. To change that would be hard to swallow... it would be quite a mouthful. Those who hate Dick is just butthurt, they should stop being such wankers, it blows that they cant just grow up, i really have a bone to pick with them. They just need to get it straight and just plow throught it.. But i guess its a hard situation for some with a floppy personality... Its a hard world, they should stop being so soft.

.........I can't follow you twice so take my money and my admiration, I salute you good sir

#19 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

.........I can't follow you twice so take my money and my admiration, I salute you good sir

Money and admiration is all i need, bro!

#20 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

Admiration?Pfft.

#21 Posted by SmoothJammin (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how Dick's threads bring people together :3

#22 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

It does?

#23 Posted by Ms. Omega (4538 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skunkstein said:

lmao

#24 Posted by SmoothJammin (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick can never win smh

#25 Posted by SmoothJammin (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicvine.com/dick-grayson/29-1691/dc-universe-online-gets-dickgrayson-that-is/92-421345/#43 -__-

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

http://www.comicvine.com/dick-grayson/29-1691/dc-universe-online-gets-dickgrayson-that-is/92-421345/#43 -__-

LMAO.

#27 Posted by SmoothJammin (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

-___-

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.