DC Revamp: Dick No Longer Batman, Return of Jason Todd

• 158 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

The future of Dick Grayson has been revealed- and he will no longer be Batman, at least that's the story according to DC's Senior Editor Mike Marts.

"There will be a Batman and there will be a Nightwing...And Dick Grayson will be returning to his role of Nightwing."

That's right! As part of DC's revamp, Dick Grayson will return to his former role as Nightwing, part of 52 new number one issues. The series will be illustrated by Eddy Barrows and scripted by Kyle Higgins (Gates of Gotham). However, Dick isn't the only former boy wonder getting his new series. For the many of you that have missed seeing Jason Todd's precious face, you'll be happy to hear he will be making his return in an all new title, Red Hood and the Outlaws which will be written by Scott Lobdell and penciled by artist Kenneth Rockawfort. The Red Hood will return to lead both Arsenal and Starfire. DC Editor Marts had some nice things to say about Jason Todd getting his own series once more, as well.

== TEASER ==

"[Jason Todd has] proven to be such a popular character over the last several years with our DVD and also the recent limited series," Marts said of Jason Todd. "The success of those stories helped in earning him his own new title and we're lucky to have Scott Lobdell writing that storyline and Kenneth Rocafort on art, who is a great new talent that we've brought into the DC fold. Jason Todd's group will have several different exciting characters from the DC Universe – some we've seen before and some we haven't."

I personally cannot wait to see Jason Todd return as the Red Hood- and I am really hoping to see him and Dick Grayson duke it out. Do you think this is the right move for Dick Grayson? Do you feel they should return him to the role of Nightwing? How will Dick Grayson react to Starfire teaming up with The Red Hood? Now that Dick Grayson is Nightwing, and Barbara Gordon is Batgirl, is it possible they might rekindle their former affair? Check out the covers below to the first issue of Nightwing and the first issue of Red Hood and the Outlaws #1.

Source IGN

#1 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

Creative team?

#2 Posted by CasimirAngel (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda sad about Dick becoming Nightwing again.  And looks like Roy got his arm back!  But, Starfire teaming up with Jason?  I dunno....

#3 Edited by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

YES JASON IS IN HIS COOL COSTUME(him on a team is weird), I am picking that up on my list of batman related titles XD (this is getting expensive) O_O But happy to hear the news I prefer dick as nightwing just because it's his mantle that he made to set himself apart, he can only be batman when bruce isn't around otherwise he is just bruce's back up and basically a robin in a batsuit(not far to dick's character to be seen as a second rate batman and the artists were making it difficult to tell the two of them apart)

#4 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! Dick Grayson as Nightwing! Jason/Red Hood getting his own series with Arsenal is cool! Not sure how i feel about starfire being there yet. i'll wait and see. now i ask... 

WHERE"S TIM?!

#5 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrUnknown said:
Creative team?
read. the. article. 

It's in the first paragraph.
#6 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Arsenal is wearing a baseball cap... lol

#7 Posted by The Mast (776 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad he doesn't look like Deadpool. Oh wait... 

I was pulling for Cassandra Cain to be Nightwing, to be honest. Never mind.

-The Mast

#8 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice eye

#9 Posted by JimmyOlsen1 (151 posts) - - Show Bio

Well ... come on DC ... this reboot sucks ...

#10 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a feeling they are going to make Jason more of an anti-hero that occasionally kills. I just have a hard seeing Starfire on a team with someone that kills guys left and right, Roy maybe, but not Kory.

#11 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I will miss him being Batman, but I'm glad he's Nightwing. I don't like the new costume. It reminds me too much of when he was Renegade and I hated those issues in Nightwing. 
As for Jason, it sounds pretty cool. And while I wish they would reboot Roy being a hero again, I'm glad he got his arm back at least. But why is Starfire an anti-hero now?

#12 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

This is making me wonder about the Teen Titans' revamp. And the Outsiders became the Outlaws?

#13 Posted by Project_Worm (3339 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally back to the nice Jason costume!

#14 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Dick as Batman, oh well... Jason doesn't really seem like a team player though. 

#15 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1817 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! Nightwing is back! :D

#16 Posted by Ravenjade (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited for the Ginger squad, I hope Donna will show up, seeing as she has links with all of them

#17 Posted by SupremoMaximo (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Jason a Human Shield or something. What kind of attack strategy is that?   Shouldn't bursts of flames go first then bullets and arrows to put them out of their misery?

#18 Posted by Shieldbearer (84 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally Jason Todd out of the lipstick helmet! Hopefully Jason Todd won't be the whiny B*tch he was in Batman and Robin.
#19 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

I am going to have to get both of these books. Probably none of the Batman ones though. I kinda think that Dick and Damien though made a good team and don't think Bruce and Damien will work out as much. Bruce should work with Red Robin and Nightwing should work with Robin. Course who knows if their personalities and relationships are going to be the same after the relaunch.

#20 Edited by Outside_85 (8126 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, theres something about Growly McNightwing that doesnt appeal to me, but thats based on the switch from blue to red. Dick (as Nightwing) has always stuck me as a hopeful and optemistic character...this guy appears to be more into detached gallows humor.

However, I am less than happy about Starfire getting teamed up with two dudes that are currently several degrees short of proper. The cap and the Deadpool-ripoff-mask doesnt do it any favors either.

#21 Posted by daredevil21134 (10837 posts) - - Show Bio

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS YEAHHHH

#22 Posted by laussica (80 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC: im sad too dick and damien had an amazing dynamic ):

bruce and damien just seem weird to me, bruce has basically had so little contact with damien since he came back. dick is a way better male role model for him.

#23 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

That is beautiful art (off-topic comment is off-topic) ^_^

#24 Posted by shiro11 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

It was inevitable, Grayson couldn't be batman forever.

#25 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I must say these changes are pretty intriguing. 
Especially the Roy Harper, Jason Todd, Starfire team.  Dammit, DC.  I don't want to like your reboot, but you're making it hard...

#26 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

"ugh, get rid of that lipstick helmet!" 
*Post FP*
"ugh, now he looks like Deadpool!"

Red Hood can never catch a break, heh. This teamup is wierd though. Could be interesting.

#27 Posted by daredevil21134 (10837 posts) - - Show Bio

NO more Morrison suit. Yes

#28 Posted by Shieldbearer (84 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Grant Morrison, everytime he makes some ground breaking changes....then the changes always go back (New X-Men, Batman). 

All he ever did that was any good in my mind was bringing Emma Frost into the main cast of X-Men and teaming up Dick Grayson and Damien Wayne. Although, All-Star Superman was pretty good, I guess I can always give him that.
#29 Posted by Alch21 (210 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS  

*Kisses everyone who reads this*
#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32677 posts) - - Show Bio
@Outside_85 said:
I dunno, theres something about Growly McNightwing that doesnt appeal to me, but thats based on the switch from blue to red. Dick (as Nightwing) has always stuck me as a hopeful and optemistic character...this guy appears to be more into detached gallows humor. However, I am less than happy about Starfire getting teamed up with two dudes that are currently several degrees short of proper. The cap and the Deadpool-ripoff-mask doesnt do it any favors either.
Its not like Nightwing has never been depicted as grim before, nearly all of his cover art he looks pissed. 

@laussica
: DO you make these coz there amazing/
#31 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix: 'm saving judgement until the issues come out, but I get what you're saying. Also am I the only one who noticed the bat on Jason?
#32 Posted by zombietag (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

sometimes i wish DC (and marvel) would keep this stuff secret until it actually happens. i would have freaked out so much more if all the sudden i was at the comic shop with issue 1 of batman and nightwing on the shelves. 

i guess thats just unrealistic though.

#33 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY for Jason Todd ongoing but BOOOOOOO no Judd Winick writing the series. I mean the main reason why Under the Red Hood and the Lost Days mini-series were so good was because of Winick's writing.
#34 Posted by daredevil21134 (10837 posts) - - Show Bio

I am Happy Nightwing has returned as well

#35 Posted by jlat89 (317 posts) - - Show Bio

this whole lack of Tim Drake is starting to frustrate me

#36 Posted by red_rover (95 posts) - - Show Bio

You know the phrase "riding on someone's coattails?"  That image of Red Hood is on the nose.

#37 Posted by laussica (80 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: nah i dont i just find them all on tumblr, which is going crazy ever since the new dc reboot was announced

#38 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick back as Nightwing = WIN!  Jason back in his good costume = WIN!   Arsenal's hat = FAIL!

#39 Edited by RaFonaRaFona (76 posts) - - Show Bio
@jlat89 said:

this whole lack of Tim Drake is starting to frustrate me

Me too.  I hope he gets to keep on being Red Robin.  I've come to really like that book.
#40 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested in picking up both these titles, and i was not expecting a red hood series. could be interesting.
As for Roy and Starfire. Well Roy i can see in this team, esspecialy after how his character has been treated after 'cry for justice' ( 'rise of arsenal' and 'titans' ) and i think he could fit into it, i mean he couldn't be made any worse :P Starfire? well last i knew (read) she was part of L.E.G.I.O.N / R.E.B.E.L.S. dose this mean that she came back? And if so why team up with Jason? Well i guess all of this will make sence later.

#41 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Roy's baseball cap for real?
It's like Jim Lee pulling a silent Wonder Woman jacket again.
Not feeling Red Hood's Deadpool-esque outfit either.

#42 Posted by johnny_spam (2031 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jordanstine: @Jordanstine said:
Is Roy's baseball cap for real? It's like Jim Lee pulling a silent Wonder Woman jacket again. Not feeling Red Hood's Deadpool-esque outfit either.
It looks like they are trying to imitate his animated appearance.
Under the Red Hood: Closeup
#43 Edited by Karlails (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Dammit, I really liked Dick as Batman... And it looks like I'm not the only one.

#44 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm assuming they're retconning all the Dick/Starfire engagement/sex stuff. Otherwise how could they explain her hanging around Jason? And if they're giving Roy his arm back and undoing Cry For Justice, I can't imagine him being around a murderer like Jason either.

Does anyone else hate the RED on Nightwing? I don't mind the bird-like logo, but the costume reminds me of THIS abomination.

You DO NOT want fans thinking about THIS, Mike Marts!!!
#45 Posted by Outside_85 (8126 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87
He doesnt usually look like X-Force Wolverine however.
#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32677 posts) - - Show Bio
@Outside_85 said:
@spiderbat87: He doesnt usually look like X-Force Wolverine however.
its not that bad what about these:
#47 Posted by Moonleming (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim is going to be associated with The Teen Titans you can't keep Damian and dump a character like Tim.  It makes no sense, if your trying to create a younger version of Batman how could he have gone through so many side-kicks already plus have a kid still?

#48 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@Moonleming: I'm not sure Batman will be made younger. It seems like they're keeping a lot of what Morrison did.
#49 Posted by VaizD (245 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that a bat symbol Jason's rocking on his chest? Is he finally going to (however begrudgingly) take his place in the Bat Family? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

#50 Edited by Outside_85 (8126 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87
None of them makes him look like he is about to kill whoever is standing in front of him. 

Well, maybe the 3rd one.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.