Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9487 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Create your own Nightwing lead Outsiders team

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Munsu

Was thinking about it in another thread so I thought I might as well make a thread to get some other members' ideas. Just post who Nightwing would want on his team, why the team was formed, and maybe even possible story ideas.

Basically I would like the book to operate like an X-Force/Secret Avengers type of book. Because of all the government pressure and the formation of the JLA Batman and the JL can't operate as freely and he consults with Nightwing to form his own team to operate outside the government's sight and do things the JL aren't able to do. Maybe you could even have Batman not tell, or not tell some, of the current JL members and that could be used as an eventual plot in the main JL book. Just a lot you could do with it.

My team:

Nightwing (leader)

Black Lightning

Blue Devil

Cassandra Cain (I think a book like this would be a great fit for her or maybe Lady Shiva)

Donna Troy (Maybe retool her character some but I wanted another female character and she could fill the roll of the powerhouse of the team like a Grace Choi. Plus including a big name character who was in limbo would bring a lot of buzz to the book)

Also I was trying to go with a whole Blue/Black theme so maybe in Outsiders Nightwing could put back on the blue costume and wear the red in his solo. I mean Wolverine wears a different costume when he is in X-Force. :P

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Grifter

Nightwing

Zealot

Conner Hawke

Cheshire

King Shark

(or, just put Nightwing in either Team 7, or the Suicide Squad)

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Meh, not sure. Nightwing never really seemed like the Outsiders type to me. His team was basically the Titans.

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Munsu

He formed a lead the Outsiders before so I don't see any problem with it. Plus that Titans team that was "his team" didn't really happen anymore, or a very loose version of it did. So it would be pointless for him to lead a Titans team again when you have Tim leading the Teen Titans team and Jason basically leading a Titans team along with a JL book still going on.

Outsiders would be more in the vein of a Suicide Squad or Team Seven book, but unlike those teams it wouldn't be controlled by the government. I can't see Nightwing being on a government run team.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightwing

Connor Hawke

Doctor Light

Sebastian Faust

Geo Force

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By wessaari

Nightwing (leader)

Wally West (second in command)

Black Lightning

Donna Troy

Cassandra Cain

(Some other powerful team member that i cant think of)

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LuigiBat

If this were to ever happen I can imagine DC getting Nightwing to lead the people who were part of 'his' Titans group pre-flashpoint, who we know he knew in the New 52 but never formed any team with them, just as a way of keeping fans happy.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Munsu said:

He formed a lead the Outsiders before so I don't see any problem with it. Plus that Titans team that was "his team" didn't really happen anymore, or a very loose version of it did. So it would be pointless for him to lead a Titans team again when you have Tim leading the Teen Titans team and Jason basically leading a Titans team along with a JL book still going on.

Outsiders would be more in the vein of a Suicide Squad or Team Seven book, but unlike those teams it wouldn't be controlled by the government. I can't see Nightwing being on a government run team.

it was hardly an Outsiders team. it was the Titans and a few other legacy characters CALLING themselves the Outsiders. and Nightwing handed team leadership back to Batman because not even he belived that he was cut for it.

RedRobin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By RedRobin92

Post New 52 Nightwing (leader) Green Arrow Wally West Essence Ravager

timelord786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By timelord786

Nightwing (leader)

Wally West

Cassandra Cain

Red Arrow

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

#11  Edited By Arkhamc1tizen

nightwing

starfire

red arrow

raven

superboy

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Munsu

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Munsu said:

it was hardly an Outsiders team. it was the Titans and a few other legacy characters CALLING themselves the Outsiders. and Nightwing handed team leadership back to Batman because not even he belived that he was cut for it.

There were more non Legacy characters on the team than Legacy characters though.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Munsu said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Munsu said:

There were more non Legacy characters on the team than Legacy characters though.

how do you figure? Nightwing (Batman), Arsenal (Green Arrow), Shift(Metamorpho), Jade(Green Lantern), Thunder(Black Lightning),Indigo(Braniac), Captain Marvel Jr (Captain Marvel), Owen Mercer(Captain Boomerang),> versus Huntress, Katana, Grace (who still has connections to Wonder Woman due to being an Amazon ) and Starfire (who was also a Titan)

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Munsu

I see what you mean now. I thought you were specifically referring to Titan Legacy characters like Nightwing. Though I don't really consider characters like Shift, Grace, and Indigo legacy characters.

Still if Nightwing is ever going to be on a team I think a team like this would be his best bet. We don't really need a third or fourth Titans/Young Justice book, or fifth if that Raven lead teen book happens, and with the reboot and all that history gone you can use the original characters instead of legacy ones. Since everyone is a lot younger and not being used elsewhere. I mean Wonder Woman is only 23. So all those other characters don't exist probably.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Munsu said:

I see what you mean now. I thought you were specifically referring to Titan Legacy characters like Nightwing. Though I don't really consider characters like Shift, Grace, and Indigo legacy characters.

Still if Nightwing is ever going to be on a team I think a team like this would be his best bet. We don't really need a third Titans/Young Justice book, or fourth if that Raven lead teen book happens, and with the reboot and all that history gone you can use the original characters instead of legacy ones. Since everyone is a lot younger and not being used elsewhere. I mean Wonder Woman is only 23.

yeah, Grace isnt. but Indigo and Shift most definitely are. They should have given Nightwing a Titans book or put him in JLI before it was canceled and put Tim back in the Outsiders like he was before Flashpoint.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Munsu said:

Still if Nightwing is ever going to be on a team I think a team like this would be his best bet. We don't really need a third or fourth Titans/Young Justice book, or fifth if that Raven lead teen book happens, and with the reboot and all that history gone you can use the original characters instead of legacy ones. Since everyone is a lot younger and not being used elsewhere. I mean Wonder Woman is only 23.

The problem is, as Avenging X-Bolt said, Nightwing has never really been the Outsider type of character. Same goes for Donna Troy. He plays in the shadows, but he doesn't live in them. The nature of the team would really have to be changed for it to work.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

@Munsu said:

Still if Nightwing is ever going to be on a team I think a team like this would be his best bet. We don't really need a third or fourth Titans/Young Justice book, or fifth if that Raven lead teen book happens, and with the reboot and all that history gone you can use the original characters instead of legacy ones. Since everyone is a lot younger and not being used elsewhere. I mean Wonder Woman is only 23.

The problem is, as Avenging X-Bolt said, Nightwing has never really been the Outsider type of character. Same goes for Donna Troy. He plays in the shadows, but he doesn't live in them. The nature of the team would really have to be changed for it to work.

exactly, thanks for this. i was beginning to lose track of my point : )

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Munsu

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

yeah, Grace isnt. but Indigo and Shift most definitely are. They should have given Nightwing a Titans book or put him in JLI before it was canceled and put Tim back in the Outsiders like he was before Flashpoint.

They gave Jason the Titans book. It has Titan characters, covering old Titan stories and will probably be where more Titan characters eventually end up. Tim's book is basically a Young Justice book with the Titans name slapped on it, so Tim can have that. Plus I would view it as a huge step back if Dick leads a bunch of teens after finally moved on from that.

And they sort of connected Dick with JLI during that one issue of Batwing. But with Batwing and Batman both connected to JLI it would be sort of redundant to put Nightwing in there. I think the a reimagined Outsiders book would still work better, especially for those who would like to see a mainstream book sort of in the same vein of what they are seeing in the YJ show.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Munsu said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

They gave Jason the Titans book. It has Titan characters, covering old Titan stories and will probably be where more Titan characters eventually end up. Tim's book is basically a Young Justice book with the Titans name slapped on it, so Tim can have that. Plus I would view it as a huge step back if Dick leads a bunch of teens after finally moved on from that.

And they sort of connected Dick with JLI during that one issue of Batwing. But with Batwing and Batman both connected to JLI it would be sort of redundant to put Nightwing in there. I think the a reimagined Outsiders book would still work better, especially for those who would like to see a mainstream book sort of in the same vein of what they are seeing in the YJ show.

and how would what you listed be a reimagining of the Outsiders? its almost exactly what they were doing after Dick quit the team, just with some different members.

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Munsu

But you are still looking at the characters and situation like it was before the reboot. All those old teams and him not feeling he was the best person to lead the Outsiders never happened. So you can easily rework characters like Donna. If Batman asked him to form a team to help him Nightwing would do it without much question. I am not saying he shouldn't feel uneasy about the work the team does, that can be one of the themes of the book, you just need a creative writer that can make it work. I mean look at what they did with Secret Six a while ago. Who would have thought that group of villains would work together and it turn out so well?

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Munsu

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Munsu said:

and how would what you listed be a reimagining of the Outsiders? its almost exactly what they were doing after Dick quit the team, just with some different members.

Well the whole government crack down on the JL and them forming their own JLA to combat the JL and the Outsiders being formed to help the JL work around that government pressure would be pretty different.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Munsu said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Munsu said:

Well the whole government crack down on the JL and them forming their own JLA to combat the JL and the Outsiders being formed to help the JL work around that government pressure would be pretty different.

not really. like i said thats almost exactly how the post Nightwing version of the League was formed in almost that exact manner (not counting the whole govern ment formed JLA)

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Munsu

The government formed JLA is a pretty big thing though.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Munsu said:

The government formed JLA is a pretty big thing though.

but how would it really influence make the Outsiders any different? its not like they havnt been forced into conflict with goverment sanctioned teams before (Suicide Squad, Justice Society, Force Of July)

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Munsu said:

But you are still looking at the characters and situation like it was before the reboot. All those old teams and him not feeling he was the best person to lead the Outsiders never happened. So you can easily rework characters like Donna. If Batman asked him to form a team to help him Nightwing would do it without much question. I am not saying he shouldn't feel uneasy about the work the team does, that can be one of the themes of the book, you just need a creative writer that can make it work. I mean look at what they did with Secret Six a while ago. Who would have thought that group of villains would work together and it turn out so well?

Well those old things never happened, but in terms of personality Dick's still the same character, so I can't see the situation turning out any different. I'd even say that if Bruce was going to ask anyone to lead this type of team it'd be Cassandra. Working in the dark would fit Dick just as badly now as it did before. Donna I admit can be reworked however, because she doesn't currently exist.

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Munsu

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Well first off they wouldn't create the team because of some revenge trip and the government pressure never played a large roll in the book before. It was there occasionally, but wasn't one of the main recurring plots. The book would be connected to two other large books (JL and JLA) and would be a part in telling a much larger story. Giving you insight into another side of the JL side of the conflict. Maybe even the govt. run Secret Seven and Suicide Squads would play a factor. So that is five books being used to tell this story on a huge scope and that is completely different than what the other Outsiders titles were like.

Of course what we are debating is never going to happen. :P

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Munsu

Well those old things never happened, but in terms of personality Dick's still the same character, so I can't see the situation turning out any different. I'd even say that if Bruce was going to ask anyone to lead this type of team it'd be Cassandra. Working in the dark would fit Dick just as badly now as it did before. Donna I admit can be reworked however, because she doesn't currently exist.

That's one of the reasons I wanted Cass on the team and why I thought she would fit. With all team books the leader eventually changes, so Nightwing wouldn't lead the team forever, and I would want Cass to be next in line. But this is all just fanfiction at this point. xD

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Munsu said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Well first off they wouldn't create the team because of some revenge trip and the government pressure never played a large roll in the book before. It was there occasionally, but wasn't one of the main recurring plots. The book would be connected to two other large books (JL and JLA) and would be a part in telling a much larger story. Giving you insight into another side of the JL side of the conflict. Maybe even the govt. run Secret Seven and Suicide Squads would play a factor. So that is five books being used to tell this story on a huge scope and that is completely different than what the other Outsiders titles were like.

Of course what we are debating is never going to happen. :P

you got a point, i can t deny that. i actually completely agree that its the best way to go as direction-wise. i just dont belive that Nightwing should be apart of it. but thats just my opinion. sorry if i knda derailed your thread.

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Munsu

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

you got a point, i can t deny that. i actually completely agree that its the best way to go as direction-wise. i just dont belive that Nightwing should be apart of it. but thats just my opinion. sorry if i knda derailed your thread.

Nah, that's fine. I wanted to see what people thought and seeing the other side of your opinion helps better form your own ideas.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Munsu said:

That's one of the reasons I wanted Cass on the team and why I thought she would fit. With all team books the leader eventually changes, so Nightwing wouldn't lead the team forever, and I would want Cass to be next in line. But this is all just fanfiction at this point. xD

Yeah then I could see it. I don't have a problem with Dick doing it, I just don't see him leading this type of team for the long haul. Doesn't mesh with him (Unless they wanna change his background and what he did after leaving Batman's side)

RitchieB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RitchieB

Isnt this idea basically Young Justice. Might be a little different circumstances but it still involves Nightwing leading a kind of shadow operative team that fills job the League cant because they dont want to draw attention. its the whole premise of creating young justice in the animation and its successful so it could work in comics if done a little differently.

anyway heres my team:

Nightwing (Leader)

Wally West (second in command) - let him out of limbo and establish his friendship with NW

Donna Troy- Out of Limbo

Jade- out of limbo

Lightning- out of limbo

Ms. Martian-out of limbo

nightwing737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nightwing737

Nightwing

Kid Flash

Red Arrow

Beast Boy

Cassandra Cain

NWfanboy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NWfanboy77

Nightwing

Wally West

Arsenal

Raven

Starfire

Superboy

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Sovereign91001

Nightwing

Grace Choi

Big Barda

Black Lightning

Dr. Light

Donna Troy

Geo-Force

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By TDK_1997
    1. Nightwing

Cassandra Cain

Grifter

Black Lightning

Cheshire

KZR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KZR

@Sovereign91001: Add Wally West and you've got yourself the Outsiders. Awesome line-up btw.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sethysquare

Nightwing

Cass Cain

Black Lightning

Blue Devil

Geo Force

Cheshire

Voodoo

Katana

Metamorpho

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By ReVamp

@Gambler said:

Grifter

Nightwing

Zealot

Conner Hawke

Cheshire

King Shark

Love it.

Though I'd always thought if a new team was made, it'd be Titan-esque.

• Troy
    • Power Girl
    • Garth
    • West.
    xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By xxxddd

@Gambler said:

Grifter

Nightwing

Zealot

Conner Hawke

Cheshire

King Shark

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@KZR said:

@Sovereign91001: Add Wally West and you've got yourself the Titans. Awesome line-up btw.

fixed

DurararaFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DurararaFTW
    • Nightwing
    • Red Arrow
    • Huntress
    • Cassandra Cain
    • Ravager
    • New Character
    War07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By War07

Nightwing

Wally West

Starfire

Geo Force

Cheshire

Voodoo

Katana

Grifter

Steel

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By VampireSelektor

One could view "The Team" as version of the Outsiders.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By John Valentine

The Outsiders

• Nightwing - Leader
    • Arsenal
    • Aqualad (Kaldur'Ahm)
    • Miss Martian
    • Flash (Wally West) - Great way to introduce him into the New 52!
    • Artemis (in the style of Young Justice) / Cheshire / Ravager (Rose Wilson)
    • Huntress (Helena Bertinelli)
    • Beast Boy
    • Superboy (instead of him being in Teen Titans)
    • Wonder Girl (Donna Troy) - Great way to introduce her into the New 52!

Other additions/substitions could include Raven, Terra, Tempest, Bumblebee, Black Lightning, Katana, Speedy, Batgirl (Cassandra Cain), Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark) or Starfire. Though, Black Lightning and Katana are on the JLA.

@VampireSelektor said:

One could view "The Team" as version of the Outsiders.

My inspiration!

Writer? Geoff Johns or Judd Winnick.

Artist? J.G.Jones or Doug Manke.

I'd read the hell out of this book.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, DC!

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JamesKM716

I'm not the biggest Outsiders fan, so what I would do:

Nightwing

Wally West

Donna Troy

Raven

Cassandra Cain

Static Shock

It'd be going to separate, parallel Earths, attempting to save the day, and attempt to explain the absence of Cassandra Cain, Donna Troy, Wally West and sorta Raven.

Avatar image for deathstrokemerc
    DeathstrokeMerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DeathstrokeMerc

Nightwing

Mary Poppins

Herbert the Pervert

Tiger Woods

Donald Trump

Kate Upton

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SmoothJammin

I'll reserve judgement since Outsiders is more Batman's thing. Dick can do better for himself honestly, even if it's at the expense of giving up a leadership position. Pre52 Tim had what it took to lead a bomb ass Outsiders team imo. The current watered down version is a mess

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SmoothJammin said:

I'll reserve judgement since Outsiders is more Batman's thing. Dick can do better for himself honestly, even if it's at the expense of giving up a leadership position. Pre52 Tim had what it took to lead a bomb ass Outsiders team imo. The current watered down version is a mess

i take back all the bad things i ever said about you 0.0

doomsday31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By doomsday31

Nightwing

Katana

Red Hood

Arsenal

Ravager

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Nightwing

Black Lightning

Katana

Element Woman

Rocket

Grace Choi

Martian Manhunter

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.