Change Grayson's name...

Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

So I was talkin' to my good friend Blackstormtorrent and we both agree that next year when DC's do the annual ret-con top priority on the lsit of changes should be Dick Graysons name.
Dick is way outdated. I doubt there's any man his age going by that handle so if DC're readin' go with Rick when the next Crisis comes up.
You know it makes sense.

#1 Posted by mimschkin (626 posts) - - Show Bio

The funniest thing about this was back when there were live podcasts, there was discussion in the live chat box about Dick Grayson, only it kept coming up as '<censored> Grayson'. So we were forced to call him Richard/Ricky/Lil Richie, before coming up with creative alternatives like D!CK. I'm not saying they should change it because it's obscene, because it clearly isn't, but I agree he's in need of an update. Though I would settle for plain old Richard.

#2 Edited by NightFang (9862 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I don't know why DC doesn't goes by Richard or Ricky.

#3 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by danhimself (22270 posts) - - Show Bio

I've tried to come up with a response that doesn't come off as sounding rude but I just can't so here goes
 
That is the dumbest idea that I've ever heard

#5 Posted by Jake Fury (18116 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a real estate agent here named Dick Short. 
 
I think Dick Grayson has it easy.
#6 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: there is a real estate agent in my town named Marshall Death...but he changed it to Deeth last year...LAME.
#7 Edited by Jake Fury (18116 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085: 
 
What a pansy. why would you change something that awesome?
#8 Posted by Obtrusive (1640 posts) - - Show Bio

I like calling him dick, becasue its funny to hear batman say, "way to go dick"  "Nicely done dick" "you could work on your stealth dick"

#9 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" I've tried to come up with a response that doesn't come off as sounding rude but I just can't so here goes  That is the dumbest idea that I've ever heard "
@LT1085 said:
" "
Who come on guys.
2010. Do you know any one or are aware of any one the age of Dick Grayson who goes by the name "Dick"?
I don't think it's rude or any thing just very outdated.
#10 Posted by danhimself (22270 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas:   Richard is the #7 most common name in the U.S. around 2086175 males in the U.S. are named Richard
 
even if it weren't that common how many people do you know that are name Clark, or Peter, or Bruce


#11 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @Gylan Thomas:   Richard is the #7 most common name in the U.S. around 2086175 males in the U.S. are named Richard
 
even if it weren't that common how many people do you know that are name Clark, or Peter, or Bruce


"
Richard yeah, but who shortens it to Dick any morwe?
#12 Posted by danhimself (22270 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @danhimself said:
" @Gylan Thomas:   Richard is the #7 most common name in the U.S. around 2086175 males in the U.S. are named Richard
 
even if it weren't that common how many people do you know that are name Clark, or Peter, or Bruce


"
Richard yeah, but who shortens it to Dick any morwe? "
well I can't speak on behalf of all 2 million of them but probably a whole lot of them
#13 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas:  Would it be completely outlandish of me to assume that you live in a small town and have a very close relationship with your parents?
#14 Edited by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085 said:

" @Gylan Thomas:  Would it be completely outlandish of me to assume that you live in a small town and have a very close relationship with your parents? "

Erm....I don't get it? 
My mother's pretty great but my old man was a bit a jerk.

Would it be outlandish of me to assume you live in the fifties where people still went by the name Dick? :P
 
@danhimself said:

" @Gylan Thomas said:

" @danhimself said:
" @Gylan Thomas:   Richard is the #7 most common name in the U.S. around 2086175 males in the U.S. are named Richard
 
even if it weren't that common how many people do you know that are name Clark, or Peter, or Bruce


"
Richard yeah, but who shortens it to Dick any morwe? "
well I can't speak on behalf of all 2 million of them but probably a whole lot of them "
Hmm...I've known quite a few myself and none went by the Dick.
#15 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Dick is Short for... Dickinson?
#16 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102 said:
" Maybe Dick is Short for... Dickinson? "
Nope.
Definately Richard. 
Richard  "Dick" Grayson
#17 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas:
Dick is short for Richard? I Never fully understood why that was...
#18 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102 said:
" @Gylan Thomas: Dick is short for Richard? I Never fully understood why that was... "
Me either really.
There's no 'D' in Richard :S
#19 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

I have friends named Richard who like calling themselves Dick. They find it entertaining. 
Also, the groupies who used to be all over Bruce Wayne are now going for: "Richie Grayson". 
And I am a huge Dick Grayson fan. So I say he stays the same.

#20 Edited by roxamilli (184 posts) - - Show Bio

If people could take the former vice president (Dick Cheney) seriously , then Dick Grayson can be taken seriously in a comic book

#21 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@roxamilli: 
How old was Dick Cheney?
Dick Grayson's a young man.  I still can't think of anyone that age calling them self Dick.
 
Abd how seriously did we take Dick Cheney? :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.