Blüdhaven

#1 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

Can Higgins justify a return to Blüdhaven? Is it still relevant enough to catch readers interest or is Old Gotham a better fit?

#2 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: Bludhaven to me was just Gotham under another name. Some of the Nightwing stories were really good, but honestly they could have happened in Gotham without it at all affecting the tone or style

#3 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I feel if done, he should wait atleast another year after fleshing NW out and developing villains, forming allies and such. We're still only in the beginning stages of his series

#4 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

Personally I feel if done, he should wait atleast another year after fleshing NW out and developing villains, forming allies and such. We're still only in the beginning stages of his series

Regardless of time put into it, they really need to rebuild Bludhaven to make it a unique locale. Because in the past it was just Gotham with a different coat of paint (regardless of the quality of the stories therein told)

#5 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: You're not wrong. Too much of Bludhaven's vibe screamed poor man's Gotham. Nothing about it was stellar. To me, it should have been Metropolis with a blend of Gotham tossed in. Almost a hybrid of the two. Instead what we got was a dull little town on the outskirts of Gotham. Nightwing needs to thrive off a colorful atmosphere and over the top villains like Superman's rogue gallery. Leave the gritty, mind numbing stuff to Batman. Give us more Dick Tracy. Bring back the corruption and high crimerates, sure, but if you're going to replicate Batman and his turf, lean more towards Neo Gotham, than Gotham.

#6 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: That could be fun, or they could ramp up the kung fu/samurai duel/cowboy stand off style and make it a place for over the top, John Woo antics. Would fight well with Dick's acrobatic style.

#7 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: No doubt. Make it an action thriller, the beginning of Dixon's run showed that type of promise. A detective gig for Grayson is okay but he doesn't need to lend himself to it nearly as much as his bat-cohorts. His athleticism/timing skills(some may argue "luck") let him get away with so much crap that regular textbook heroes like Ted Kord or Stephanie Brown can never hope to imitate the success of. Bwahaha!

#8 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: exactly.

#9 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets face it Gotham has Batman and it always will. Dick can still rep Batman Inc by becoming Bludhaven's protector since we know backwater criminals from Gotham will try and seek refuge there. Another epiphany I just had~Nightwing representing Batman Incs initiative and choosing Metropolis, to give the city a detective/street level hero working alongside the science police. Good fit no?

lol but really, Bludhaven is the goods

#10 Posted by Z3RO180 (6718 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: wasnt bludhaven destroyed pre flashpouint but is still destroyed in new 52 ?? im just asuming since i read on a thread that batmans countinuity was mostly intacked

#11 Posted by richardjohngrayson (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle Higgins said on twitter he doesn't know if Blüdhaven exists or not but he does know Nightwing wont be going there. So I take that as Blüdhaven not existing post New 52. I like that better lets go foward not backwards.

#12 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard Higgins mention that as well. My frustration is with Nightwing being an agent for the Batman when instead he's always chosen to be his own hero. That to me is backwards thinking. If he has his own city or moves away from Gotham he has a better chance of independecizing himself similar to what Jason is doing in RHTO. The only reason I like things how they are now is because Scott and Kyle have a system where both heroes can work together and share storylines.

#13 Posted by richardjohngrayson (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Just think of it kind of like Marvel if half the roster of heros they have can share New York I think Nightwing and Batman can share Gotham.

#14 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson: New York is a popular city, I have no doubt it's a breeding ground for new villains. At the same time, Gotham has always been Bruce's city, if you want to operate within it you need his blessings b/c it's on his turf. NY is more of a melting pot and their really isn't one designated hero so everyone operates out of there. Nightwing I think eventually needs that big break, where he can do Bruce proud by claiming his own territory and moving away from the stigma of always being his wingman. Batman's always been a loner bro, if he's busted his ass to make ends meet , since year one of crimefighting.. Dick leaving to Bludhaven just means he has to work a little harder to keep the quota up(like he's done since b4 they met). That's it.

#15 Posted by _Zombie_ (10448 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@richardjohngrayson: New York is a popular city, I have no doubt it's a breeding ground for new villains. At the same time, Gotham has always been Bruce's city, if you want to operate within it you need his blessings b/c it's on his turf. NY is more of a melting pot and their really isn't one designated hero so everyone operates out of there. Nightwing I think eventually needs that big break, where he can do Bruce proud by claiming his own territory and moving away from the stigma of always being his wingman. Batman's always been a loner bro, if he's busted his ass to make ends meet , since year one of crimefighting.. Dick leaving to Bludhaven just means he has to work a little harder to keep the quota up(like he's done since b4 they met). That's it.

I honestly don't think Dick cares about having Bruce's blessing. Seems to me it's more like he genuinely just wanted to get away from Bruce when he took up the mantle, and relocating to Bludhaven was how he did that.

#16 Posted by notquitevarsity (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like for Dick to get out of Gotham. I really want him to try and break away from Batman. Bludhaven might be a step backwards, but staying in Gotham feels like a leap backwards. Is Gotham the only city with street level crime? Dick can fight the bigger monsters too.

#17 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@SmoothJammin said:

I honestly don't think Dick cares about having Bruce's blessing. Seems to me it's more like he genuinely just wanted to get away from Bruce when he took up the mantle, and relocating to Bludhaven was how he did that.

He doesn't care. If he breaks away it doesn't spell the end of Gotham, Bruce will have to put in a little more work is all. I mean Gotham and Bludhaven are practically islands, they're not states. All they have to do is cross a couple bridges whenever they visit. It's not a big d.

#18 Posted by vernierhawk001 (539 posts) - - Show Bio

How about a Dick Grayson world tour

#19 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@vernierhawk001: Bingo. More like, a Brave and the Bold book featuring Nightwing team-ups with heroes across the globe. In fact that's a great idea. DC's fourth wave deserves to include a Brave and the Bold title. Only Dick Grayson can realistically carry/pull off a book of those proportions. Please no more circus tour. If he were say... an ambassador for Batman Inc visiting different countries, and spreading the word it works nicely too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.