Batman Fights Roadrunner in Detective Comics #877 (Review)

Posted by G-Man (31704 posts) - - Show Bio

We are in the middle of Scott Snyder and Jock's "Hungry City" storyline and it looked like Dick Grayson's career as Batman was about to be cut short.

The Good

Last issue my complaint was the villain, Roadrunner, that Batman (Dick) went up against and how easily he was trapped. After reading this issue and thinking about last issue some more, it does make sense. One of the things I always commend Scott Snyder on the way he writes Dick as Batman. Too many times we see a generic Batman in comics and even though Dick and Bruce have the different bat-emblems on their chest to quickly let us know which one it is, they aren't always written as such. Dick getting captured by this Roadrunner guy makes sense. He simply let his guard down. He's not perfect, close to it, but not there yet.

On the opening pages, we get some inner monologue dealing that gives us insight, not only into Dick's mind, but also Bruce, Tim and even Damian. What do these heroes think about going face-to-face with the criminal scum night after night? The way it's always been presented, you would think Bruce is an cold emotionless robot. But Dick tells us how it is. Which leads into when and how they can come up with ideas to fight villains and impossible odds. We also find out more about Roadrunner and Sonia Branch (hopefully you know her real name by now).

What about the art? Leave it to Jock to draw a sexy and spooky car lot like no one else could. There's also a shot of Batman in the air, you know the kind, cape extended, moon in the background, etc. We've seen this many times but Jock's rendition is pretty dang sweet. But what about the 'bad' part?

== TEASER ==

The Bad

It's no secret that I love Scott Snyder's Detective Comics. It's always had the right mix of storytelling, action, character development and suspense. Roadrunner does get a better explanation that adds a great deal to him but...he's still just an okay villain. At least so far. The real real excitement will be with Sonia Branch and the villain coming up in the next issue.

I also don't think it's a good idea for Batman to dive into the Gotham River wearing his cape. Isn't that thing super heavy in order to help deflect bullets?

The Verdict

It's almost hard to take a villain calling himself Roadrunner seriously but the added development to him makes him a little more interesting. The true hook in this issue is the mystery behind Sonia Branch and what her true intentions are. We get some great insight into the mind of Dick Grayson, courtesy of Scott Snyder, that also gives an idea of what goes on in the mind of the others in the Bat-family. Snyder continues to superbly write Grayson's character and shows that this is about Dick evolving into his version of Batman instead of just another Batman comic with Dick under the cowl. Jock manages to make even the simplest scenes pop off the pages and really establishes the mood that compliments the writing. You just can't go wrong with Detective Comics these days. This issue gets a 4 out of 5.

Check out the preview pages and pick up the issue on Wednesday, May 25.

Staff
#1 Posted by Kid_A (24 posts) - - Show Bio

wonder if thats an ACME batarang he used...

#2 Posted by G-Man (31704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kid_A:

Staff
#3 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

BEEP BEEP
#4 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats..... thats preety lame... for cool Batman.
#5 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8983 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jordanstine said:
BEEP BEEP
#6 Edited by NightFang (9962 posts) - - Show Bio
@haydenclaireheroes said:

@Jordanstine said:

BEEP BEEP

The writer most be a Looney Tunes fan. 
#7 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:

When did Dick Grayson lose his sense of humor?
#8 Posted by G-Man (31704 posts) - - Show Bio

And I should mention, there's gonna be some crazy stuff happening in issue #878. I'm preparing to have my mind blown.

Staff
#9 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Lame
#10 Posted by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

I seem to disagree with the populace, but I can't stand Batman since Morrisson has taken over the character.  I dropped all of the bat titles from my hold stack a very long time ago.

#11 Posted by VaizD (249 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
@G-Man said:
I think the fact that he makes the quip shows he totally has a sense of humor, he's just acting as a more serious, Bruce-esque Bats.
#12 Posted by yeopop (631 posts) - - Show Bio
@haydenclaireheroes: That's whay I say.
#13 Posted by yeopop (631 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid_A: LOL
#14 Posted by CrimsonInuTears (465 posts) - - Show Bio

I was totally gonna give them the benefit of the doubt that when they said Roadrunner they meant like car terms or somethin... But really, "meep meep" so stupid. Although slightly redeemin is Dick playin off his "sense a humor" to make a stupid follow up crack.

#15 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is nobody saying anything about that HIDEOUS Green Lantern Movie banner across the top. It's far bigger than it should be and it almost ruins an otherwise fantastic Jock cover. Just, UGH.

#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (14648 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks like a very lame villain.I'm currently not reading Detective Comics
#17 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

He should use the ACME cannons
#18 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:

And I should mention, there's gonna be some crazy stuff happening in issue #878. I'm preparing to have my mind blown.

Like a tunnel painted on a wall that Batman can run through but the Roadrunner can? Batman walking off a cliff but not falling right away? Or Batman being crushed by huge boulders? That type of crazy stuff?
#19 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio
Doesnt look deadly to me... 
#20 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, interesting that he'd use that, lol

#21 Posted by ForeignLawns (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna drive past the stop n shop with the radio on! (Radio on!)

#22 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to read this!

#23 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio
@TDK_1997
Yeah, OK. Stick to your flash books sunshine.(Funny how you diss Detective but you encourage Gates of Gotham -_-)
#24 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
@haydenclaireheroes said:
@Jordanstine said:
BEEP BEEP
 The guest be a Looney Tunes fan. 
lol
#25 Posted by The Stegman (23767 posts) - - Show Bio

does he use ACME brand batarangs???

#26 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (832 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't really like the name of the bad guy bc it sounds like Batman is fighting a looney tune but cant wait to read this.

#27 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Mighty Monarch: Oh best believe it WILL be addressed. 
#28 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

He really said "meep meep?" And Dick really said...?

I don't think I'll be reading this.
#29 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: They really missed an opportunity to cash in on a more recent pop culture reference. When I read "He's at the twenty, the ten" I dont think of the Road Runner I immediately think of  the movie Invincible with Mark Walhberg. They could have come up with something more clever then the Road Runner.
#30 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a pretty good crafted and fun issue.
And wow is Jock artwork fantastic!!

#31 Posted by Out_of_Space (720 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta read this soon.
#32 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio

LMFBO!!!

How is it possible that the story can look so dark and grim and yet I'm laughing through the whole thing? xD Great stuff!

#33 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio
@VaizD said:
@DEGRAAF said:
@G-Man said:

I think the fact that he makes the quip shows he totally has a sense of humor, he's just acting as a more serious, Bruce-esque Bats.

thanks. Yeah, after i posted this i thought about it more and was just thinkging "well it's not like they would show Batman (no matter who it is besides Terry) laughing while fighting crime"
#34 Posted by entropy_aegis (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
@TDK_1997 said:
You should read Gates then,Dealer already looks awesome.I doubt this Roadrunner guy is gonna stick for long.
#35 Posted by entropy_aegis (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Btw this issue looks good too.Meep Meep suckers.

#36 Posted by The Impersonator (5214 posts) - - Show Bio

"If you're on a highway and Road Runner goes beep-beep!
Just step aside, or you might end up in heap!

Road Runner, Road Runner runs down the road all day.
Even the Batman can't make him change his ways.

Road Runner, that Batman's after you!
Road Runner, if he catches you, you're through!

Road Runner, that Batman's after you!
Road Runner, if he catches you, you're through!

That Batman is really a crazy bat!
When will he learn that he never can mow him down?

Great little Road Runner always bother anyone.
Just running down the road is his idea of having fun!"

#37 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, when I read that Batman was fighting Roadrunner, I was picturing him on the phone with tech support, trying to get the broadband in the Batcave working.

#38 Edited by monopolyloser (74 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this issue, but the thing that annoyed me was the stupid Super 8 mini comic they slapped in the middle of the book.

#39 Posted by TDK_1997 (14648 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
@TDK_1997 said:
You should read Gates then,Dealer already looks awesome.I doubt this Roadrunner guy is gonna stick for long.

I read Gates but not Detective
#40 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio
@TDK_1997
So by not reading it, that gives you the right to judge its quality?
#41 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

The Coyote will be devastated when he finds out that someone else finally caught Roadrunner and not him :P

#42 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna be so sad, when Scott Snyder is not writing Detective Comics anymore :( 

#43 Posted by Billy Batson (57907 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Speedy Gonzales next in line?

#44 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

Detective Comics is awesome right now.

#45 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder how the Coyote feel. Coyote...Batman is after you next.

#46 Posted by G-Man (31704 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#47 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCheeseStabber said:
Doesnt look deadly to me... 
Well, THOSE are the most dangerous ones.... They LOOK  harmless... They ACT innocent and sweet... and BAMN, next thing you know you find yourself strapped to an ACME rocket smashing into a sheer rock cliff!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.