"Batman #689" Reviewed!

• 108 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

When will Dick Grayson actually start being comfortable being the new Batman? For a character who has in the past spent so much of his existence as Nightwing trying not to compare himself to his mentor, he sure does seem to spend a lot of his time comparing himself to Bruce. After reading this, it made me wonder if and when Bruce does return to take back the mantle, will Dick finally be comfortable enough to give the title back to its owner? It should be interesting to see how that will play out! Did you read the issue? Did you enjoy it?
#1 Posted by The Batman! (879 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick needs to man up a lot more...i want to see him stop F*&king smiling in the suit. it pisses me off!
#2 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Batman! said:
" Dick needs to man up a lot more...i want to see him stop F*&king smiling in the suit. it pisses me off! "

WIN.

#3 Posted by Dex (559 posts) - - Show Bio

lol at :23-:25

#4 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Judd Winick kinda made him a pussy
#5 Posted by The Solis (431 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll never feel comfortable as Bats till Bruce comes back trust me thats how it always happens and I doubt he'll stop smiling or even being so much of a show off because it's what separates him from Bruce and he wants that so much he'll keep it up in my opinion 

#6 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dex said:
" lol at :23-:25 "
dork :P
#7 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Solis said:

" He'll never feel comfortable as Bats till Bruce comes back trust me thats how it always happens and I doubt he'll stop smiling or even being so much of a show off because it's what separates him from Bruce and he wants that so much he'll keep it up in my opinion  "

But do you see how his behavior contradicts his being Batman almost entirely? He wants to be so different from Bruce, and spends the entire issue analyzing himself and how his actions are so different from Bruce's that it consumes his ENTIRE INNER MONOLOGUE! Why bother taking on the mantle? Why not just wear his Nightwing costume and relocate to Gotham? At least shut-up about how UNLIKE your mentor you are, Dick Grayson; we have to hear you talk about it in every single other Bat title.
#8 Posted by War Killer (20145 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the issue, I like how Two-Face doing things, he's just waiting for the right time to strike and how ne seeing these things that other people don't is intreting, plus I really love the new Batmobile

#9 Posted by Nelsonalot (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the superior Batman storyline is going on in Batman and Robin, with the powerhouse of Grant Morrison and  Frank Quitely, you cant beat that    
#10 Edited by ulrich200 (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey,I was mentioned in the video,yahooooo  
The issue was good. Winick is doing a great jop in showing us the difference between Dick's Batman and Bruce's Batman,but....is this how we want to see Batman? 
If we take the "Dark" out of the "Dark Knight" what do we get? 
and please make him stop smiling for God's sake.

#11 Posted by The Solis (431 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @The Solis said:

" He'll never feel comfortable as Bats till Bruce comes back trust me thats how it always happens and I doubt he'll stop smiling or even being so much of a show off because it's what separates him from Bruce and he wants that so much he'll keep it up in my opinion  "

But do you see how his behavior contradicts his being Batman almost entirely? He wants to be so different from Bruce, and spends the entire issue analyzing himself and how his actions are so different from Bruce's that it consumes his ENTIRE INNER MONOLOGUE! Why bother taking on the mantle? Why not just wear his Nightwing costume and relocate to Gotham? At least shut-up about how UNLIKE your mentor you are, Dick Grayson; we have to hear you talk about it in every single other Bat title. "
But remember even in the comics he didn't want to be Batman he doesn't want the cowl the only reason here wears it is because basically there is no one else qualified right now to Batman aside from Tim who's off looking for Bruce
#12 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Solis said:
" @Babs said:
" @The Solis said:

But do you see how his behavior contradicts his being Batman almost entirely? He wants to be so different from Bruce, and spends the entire issue analyzing himself and how his actions are so different from Bruce's that it consumes his ENTIRE INNER MONOLOGUE! Why bother taking on the mantle? Why not just wear his Nightwing costume and relocate to Gotham? At least shut-up about how UNLIKE your mentor you are, Dick Grayson; we have to hear you talk about it in every single other Bat title. "
But remember even in the comics he didn't want to be Batman he doesn't want the cowl the only reason here wears it is because basically there is no one else qualified right now to Batman aside from Tim who's off looking for Bruce "
The point is there is no need for a Batman. Nobody forced him into it.
#13 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84678 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahaha aww Babs you got soft. Nice vid but I know how you really feel :P      

@Babs
said:

"But do you see how his behavior contradicts his being Batman almost entirely? He wants to be so different from Bruce, and spends the entire issue analyzing himself and how his actions are so different from Bruce's that it consumes his ENTIRE INNER MONOLOGUE! Why bother taking on the mantle? Why not just wear his Nightwing costume and relocate to Gotham? At least shut-up about how UNLIKE your mentor you are, Dick Grayson; we have to hear you talk about it in every single other Bat title. "

This is more like it :D

#14 Posted by G-Man (32633 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand why everyone gives Dick a hard time.  Bruce basically was Dick's father.  He's dealing with the fact that his father/best friend is dead.  Trying to step into his shoes wouldn't be the easiest thing to do.  He never wanted to do it.  Why has he?  Because Gotham needs Batman.  Things went to hell when it was suspected that he was dead.  He doesn't want the job but has no choice.  

Why is Dick smiling?  Because he gets to be Batman.  As much as he doesn't want the responsibility, he does get to be the Batman.  This is BATMAN we're talking about.  Who wouldn't think it was awesome to be him?  If he just stepped in and took over with no problem, that'd be ridiculous.  I like the turmoil that he has.  To me, it's more realistic.  Maybe that's just me.  Is it annoying?  Probably but I just don't see how someone could take over their dead father's role with no problems.

Staff
#15 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:

" I don't understand why everyone gives Dick a hard time.  Bruce basically was Dick's father.  He's dealing with the fact that his father/best friend is dead.  

Actually, I'm pretty sure Damien is the one crying about his Dad being dead. Dick has been pretty passive about his father's death since Battle For The Cowl. He's too busy laughing. 

@G-Man said:

Why is Dick smiling?  Because he gets to be Batman.  As much as he doesn't want the responsibility, he does get to be the Batman.  This is BATMAN we're talking about.  Who wouldn't think it was awesome to be him? 

So wait, he's damaged but he's happy about being Batman? Okay, that's a serious case of crazy if I ever saw one.
#16 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio

The Penguin is my favorite Batman villain and I'm really happy he's well written here.

#17 Posted by ulrich200 (95 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Solis said:
" @Babs said:
" @The Solis said:

But remember even in the comics he didn't want to be Batman he doesn't want the cowl the only reason here wears it is because basically there is no one else qualified right now to Batman aside from Tim who's off looking for Bruce "
When Battle for the Cowl happened Tim wasn't looking for Batman yet.I think he'd have made a better Batman. 
He's closer in Character to Bruce.
#18 Posted by Tmul501 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of have a feeling Judd is having Dick compare himself to Bruce so often in order to focus on the change he'll go through as he 'becomes' batman. If he just threw Dick in there and had him act and perform like/as well as Bruce I think that would really take away from characters (both bruce and dick) and the story. We already know Dick is going to get his ass kicked here soon based on the previous issue and I think it'll be experiences like that that will start to bring dick to bruce's emotional (or lack there of) level. We'll see Dick starting to smile a lot less, and start to take on more bruce-as-batman qualities. 

I really dig this book. Granted I like nightwing, but I think overall it's been a really cool take on the characters and I like the fact that he's a bit of a pussy right now. It makes Bruce look like more of a badass and we get character development which is always good for a story.

#19 Posted by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio

Cannot wait to see Hush raise hell next week.

#20 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@ulrich200 said:
" @The Solis said:
" @Babs said:
" @The Solis said:

When Battle for the Cowl happened Tim wasn't looking for Batman yet.I think he'd have made a better Batman. He's closer in Character to Bruce. "
THANK YOU!!!!!! Tim TOTALLY would have made a better Batman.
#21 Posted by The Solis (431 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"
The point is there is no need for a Batman. Nobody forced him into it. "
Basically everyone was telling him to be Batman everywhere he went Tim, Alfred hell the only one who wanted to be Batman for real was Jason Todd 

@ulrich200 said:
When Battle for the Cowl happened Tim wasn't looking for Batman yet.I think he'd have made a better Batman. He's closer in Character to Bruce. "
Tim may have been a better choice but he really wasn't ready cause he was pissed when the Robin look was taken away
#22 Posted by Tmul501 (598 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @G-Man said:

" I don't understand why everyone gives Dick a hard time.  Bruce basically was Dick's father.  He's dealing with the fact that his father/best friend is dead.  

Actually, I'm pretty sure Damien is the one crying about his Dad being dead. Dick has been pretty passive about his father's death since Battle For The Cowl. He's too busy laughing. 

@G-Man said:

Why is Dick smiling?  Because he gets to be Batman.  As much as he doesn't want the responsibility, he does get to be the Batman.  This is BATMAN we're talking about.  Who wouldn't think it was awesome to be him? 
 So wait, he's damaged but he's happy about being Batman? Okay, that's a serious case of crazy if I ever saw one. "
It's cognitive dissonance. He's upset about his father dying and happy about getting to be his hero. It's like when Pa Kent died, Clark was mourning his father's death while at the same time being thrilled Kandor and his people had returned.
#23 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tmul501 said:

" @Babs said:

" @G-Man said:

@G-Man said:

So wait, he's damaged but he's happy about being Batman? Okay, that's a serious case of crazy if I ever saw one. "
It's cognitive dissonance. He's upset about his father dying and happy about getting to be his hero. It's like when Pa Kent died, Clark was mourning his father's death while at the same time being thrilled Kandor and his people had returned. "
I'm not buying that. Red Robin is SO much better than "Batman" right now.
#24 Posted by G-Man (32633 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @G-Man said:

@G-Man said:

Exactly.  He's having a blast but feels like crap because of it.  He grew up admiring Batman.  Batman was the ultimate badass.  Now he gets to be him.  It's a dream come true in some ways but it comes with the fact that his 'father' had to die in order for it to happen.  I think it's great writing of the human psyche.  Again, if he just accepted it, he'd literally be a Dick because of that.
Staff
#25 Edited by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

You aren't keen on Dick Grayson as Night Wing? Well with this on your profiles status:

Babs's last update: Babs thinks Nightwing is just "Diet Batman"

I'm just shocked. lol

Lot of jump cuts here. Were you channeling Max Headroom for this one? My favorite was the one where your glasses suddenly disappeared from your face. lol

I do like the cover art. I still don't like it when a cover art is so much different then the internal, but how do you complain with such a beautiful image?
#26 Posted by The Solis (431 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:

I'm not buying that. Red Robin is SO much better than "Batman" right now. "
Thats kinda not fair out of all of the Batman family Tim may be having a harder time with Bruce's death than Dick because he doesn't think he's dead and even if though he's right he's not basing it off of evidence he just kinda had a mental break down and isn't the same person he was its like you want Dick to act just like Batman because he's wearing the suit but each time some new person takes on an old super hero identity things re bound to change
#27 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:

" @Babs said:

" @G-Man said:

@G-Man said:

Exactly.  He's having a blast but feels like crap because of it.  He grew up admiring Batman.  Batman was the ultimate badass.  Now he gets to be him.  It's a dream come true in some ways but it comes with the fact that his 'father' had to die in order for it to happen.  I think it's great writing of the human psyche.  Again, if he just accepted it, he'd literally be a Dick because of that. "
Wait, what? Nightwing spent all of his run under Chuck Dixon (Nightwing year one) (and later during Devyn Grayson's Nightwing run, following Infinite Crisis) going to SUPERMAN for GUIDANCE because he couldn't STAND BRUCE. He never wanted to be like Bruce, and hated being compared to his mentor which is why he went to Bludhaven; to get away from Bruce and to get out of Batman's shadow. They rarely saw eye to eye; particularly around the time of R.I.P. I don't know where Dick has said he wanted to be like Bruce, but I can name countless occasions when the character has tried to get as far away from his father as possible.  He may have looked up to him, but he never wanted to be him.

Dan Didio should have killed him off when he had the chance.
#28 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Solis said:
" @Babs said:

its like you want Dick to act just like Batman because he's wearing the suit but each time some new person takes on an old super hero identity things re bound to change "
No, I don't want Dick to be Batman at all, actually. That's my point.
#29 Posted by The Solis (431 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @The Solis said:
" @Babs said:

its like you want Dick to act just like Batman because he's wearing the suit but each time some new person takes on an old super hero identity things re bound to change "
No, I don't want Dick to be Batman at all, actually. That's my point. "
Ok but your making it sound like something is wrong with Dick when theres not we all know this won't last long at all
#30 Posted by G-Man (32633 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @G-Man said:
" @Babs said:
" @G-Man said:

@G-Man said:

Exactly.  He's having a blast but feels like crap because of it.  He grew up admiring Batman.  Batman was the ultimate badass.  Now he gets to be him.  It's a dream come true in some ways but it comes with the fact that his 'father' had to die in order for it to happen.  I think it's great writing of the human psyche.  Again, if he just accepted it, he'd literally be a Dick because of that. "
Wait, what? Nightwing spent all of his run under Chuck Dixon (Nightwing year one) going to SUPERMAN for GUIDANCE because he couldn't STAND BRUCE. He never wanted to be like Bruce, and hated being compared to his mentor which is why he went to Bludhaven; to get away from Bruce and to get out of Batman's shadow. They rarely saw eye to eye; particularly around the time of R.I.P. I don't know where Dick has said he wanted to be like Bruce, but I can name countless occasions when the character has tried to get as far away from his father as possible.  He may have looked up to him, but he never wanted to be him.  Dan Didio should have killed him off when he had the chance. "
Maybe you just have a different relationship with your father?  Most people try to separate themselves from their parents. They don't want to be compared to them.  So yeah, that's why he left to be his own person.  Deep down, how could he not think being Batman would be cool.  Look at the battle threads here.  Pretty much everyone agrees that Batman could take down anyone if he prepped for it.  Because he has spent his life trying to separate himself from Batman doesn't mean he didn't want his approval.  Why else would he keep running back to Gotham whenever a crisis occurred and Batman called him.  Dick is stubborn and there's no way he could admit to wanting to be Batman.  Batman is all about respect.  Even the criminals respect him. What hero doesn't want respect?  I don't see what 'killing him off' would have accomplished.  It would've been a waste of a character.
Staff
#31 Posted by ulrich200 (95 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Solis said: 
" Tim may have been a better choice but he really wasn't ready cause he was pissed when the Robin look was taken away "
Well,and whose fault was that?
#32 Posted by Nelsonalot (65 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
"I don't understand why everyone gives Dick a hard time.  Bruce basically was Dick's father.  He's dealing with the fact that his father/best friend is dead.  Trying to step into his shoes wouldn't be the easiest thing to do.  He never wanted to do it.  Why has he?  Because Gotham needs Batman.  Things went to hell when it was suspected that he was dead.  He doesn't want the job but has no choice.  

Why is Dick smiling?  Because he gets to be Batman.  As much as he doesn't want the responsibility, he does get to be the Batman.  This is BATMAN we're talking about.  Who wouldn't think it was awesome to be him?  If he just stepped in and took over with no problem, that'd be ridiculous.  I like the turmoil that he has.  To me, it's more realistic.  Maybe that's just me.  Is it annoying?  Probably but I just don't see how someone could take over their dead father's role with no problems. "

I agree, i really enjoyed The Nightwing series especially One year later and up.  The R.I.P. storyline within Nightwing gave dick a lot more depth and basically said he can take on all of Bruce's villains without any fear or hesitation. I think Dick is trying to be his own man within the cowl, thats why he's having a personality crisis as batman

#33 Edited by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@ulrich200:
@Babs: 
Fully  agreed . Tim should have one and Dick should have become Red Robin, Kingdom Come was an excellent book why not make the DCU a bit like it.
#34 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84678 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing off Nightwing wouldnt have been anymore of a waste then killing off Bruce Wayne was (even though he's not dead). I actually like Nightwing, just not as Batman.

#35 Posted by Mutant X (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce will eventually come back. We all know this. Why not enjoy Dick as Batman while it's happening?

#36 Posted by Nelsonalot (65 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems to me that Dick is eventually going to have to cope with being Dick Grayson not Nightwing, Robin and Batman. I think his meltdown is coming

#37 Posted by Obsurity (263 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was an okay issue. I wish Dick would stop smiling while in the costume but as a poster did say it's to show a difference between the two. That makes sense but at the expense of a villian taking notice. Another good point that was made earlier is Dick's journey into becoming the dark knight. It may seem pointless when Bruce takes the mantle back but hopefully Dick will gain insight of  Bruce's pyche
#38 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mutant X said:
"Bruce will eventually come back. We all know this. Why not enjoy Dick as Batman while it's happening? "
It would be easier if Dick actually enjoyed being Batman. Hard to enjoy something when someone is always moaning about it lol.
#39 Posted by Tmul501 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't think Tim would have been right for Batman, yet. He's still pretty young (he's in his late teens, early 20's right?), He seemed pretty emotionally distraught after Bruce 'died' and the fact that he's going to look for him not only shows his emotional state, it also offers an opportunity for him to grow as a character and eventually be able to become a better candidate for the cowl. But for right now, I think putting Tim in the role would have been a mistake. Especially when you consider that Damien needed a role model and mentor to groom him for his future as the heir to the thrown and I can promise you Tim would not have been the right person for the job, nor would he have taken it. Instead of really long inner monologues of Dick comparing himself to Bruce we would have gotten entire issues dedicated to Tim and Damian talking s#@t to and/or fighting with each other.  

Is Kingdom Come canon? Just curious.

#40 Posted by Tmul501 (598 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @Mutant X said:
"Bruce will eventually come back. We all know this. Why not enjoy Dick as Batman while it's happening? "
It would be easier if Dick actually enjoyed being Batman. Hard to enjoy something when someone is always moaning about it lol. "
what do you mean he's not enjoying it? Half the arguments on this thread have been people complaining about Dick smiling while Batman.
#41 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tmul501 said:
" @Gambler said:
" @Mutant X said:
It would be easier if Dick actually enjoyed being Batman. Hard to enjoy something when someone is always moaning about it lol. "
what do you mean he's not enjoying it? Half the arguments on this thread have been people complaining about Dick smiling while Batman. "
Thats their argument then, not mine. Anyone who's been  keeping up knows Nightwing doesnt want to be Batman. He only talks about it every chance he gets :)
#42 Posted by Tmul501 (598 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @Tmul501 said:
" @Gambler said:
" @Mutant X said:
what do you mean he's not enjoying it? Half the arguments on this thread have been people complaining about Dick smiling while Batman. "
Thats their argument then, not mine. Anyone who's been  keeping up knows Nightwing doesnt want to be Batman. He only talks about it every chance he gets :) "
I gotcha. To be honest, I'm kind of thinking the whole "I don't wanna be batman" thing is Dick's actual fear of "I don't wanna become Bruce"...which is kind of where I see Judd taking the story.
#43 Posted by Mutant X (1543 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tmul501 said:
" @Gambler said:
" @Tmul501 said:
" @Gambler said:
" @Mutant X said:
Thats their argument then, not mine. Anyone who's been  keeping up knows Nightwing doesnt want to be Batman. He only talks about it every chance he gets :) "
I gotcha. To be honest, I'm kind of thinking the whole "I don't wanna be batman" thing is Dick's actual fear of "I don't wanna become Bruce"...which is kind of where I see Judd taking the story. "
That makes sense.
#44 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84678 posts) - - Show Bio

Its fun when we all agree.
#45 Posted by Mutant X (1543 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" Its fun when we all agree. "
Isn't it though?
#46 Posted by Nelsonalot (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Back to Tim Drake,he loves being Robin, he hates the Red Robin mantle and desperately wants to be Robin again. The only reason he took up the Batman mantle in battle for the cowl was because Gotham needed a Batman not because he wanted to be him. That’s why he going on the search for Bruce. He figured out that Gotham doesn’t need Batman, they need Bruce Wayne        
#47 Posted by ulrich200 (95 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tmul501: About Damien needing a role model,i think that was the purpose of the Batman & Robin series 
Witch rises the question, where is the series? i think issue #2 was ages ago.
#48 Posted by A Boy Named Art (32 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as why he's smiling, I think that goes back to an issue or two ago when Alfred advises him to not just do a Bruce impersonation while wearing the suit, but instead just be himself. And, hey, Grayson's always *enjoyed* crime-fighting. 

But I do agree, Babs, that Dick's constant questioning of himself and comparing himself is starting to wear thin. After all, this is far from the first time he's worn the cowl - anybody remember the "Prodigal" storyline a few years back?

#49 Posted by ulrich200 (95 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nelsonalot said:
" Back to Tim Drake,he loves being Robin, he hates the Red Robin mantle and desperately wants to be Robin again. The only reason he took up the Batman mantle in battle for the cowl was because Gotham needed a Batman not because he wanted to be him. That’s why he going on the search for Bruce. He figured out that Gotham doesn’t need Batman, they need Bruce Wayne         "
You are totally right. what i meant is that he's a better Bruce than Dick. But i know that he's best when he's Robin.
#50 Posted by Nelsonalot (65 posts) - - Show Bio

@ulrich200:

Agreed I think Tim hasn’t been given enough credit and the Robin series has never had a 1st rate writer beside Chuck Dixon and Adam Beechen. I think Yost is making him into a Batman/Daredevil hybrid which is a good direction for the character

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.