Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9486 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Ask, and Ye Shall Receive...Answers: Episode 27

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
    This video has an invalid file format.
    00:00:00
    Sorry, but you can't access this content!
    Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
    Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

hunterscarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By hunterscarlet

I was Deathstroke! But now.. I guess not any more!

THEBATFoE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By THEBATFoE

I see only one problem with the new order: What if its a question I don't particularly care for? You should do two per video, however NIGHTWING is the only character I love as much as BATMAN so I think this was a great topic, and even greater video, Great job!

THEBATFoE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By THEBATFoE

@hunterscarlet: This is true...

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrShway88

I think to give Nightwing an arch nemesis we must first decide what Dick stands for.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck

@THEBATFoE: I hear ya. But I'm already stretching myself thin doing the second podcast, this video and trying out the daily YouTube only videos along with writing articles.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I always figured Slade Wilson was Dick's archnemesis due to his Teen Titans years. That's just my opinion though, and in all honesty with the New 52 I guess that's not so much true anymore.

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Munsu

There were two characters pre-New 52 that perfectly fit the two different types described in the video. One being a classic high profile villain with a deep history with Grayson and the other a new reimagined character. They were Deathstroke and James Gordon Jr.

Though Deathstroke should be his main nemesis. He murdered his friends and teammates, destroyed Blüdhaven, had his children somewhat reform because of Nightwing and was his main nemesis in a fairly popular animated show, but the New 52 seems to have wiped a lot of their history away (we don't even know if they've met before) and sadly from the looks of things it seems like they are going to make him Superboy's nemesis, they are building up their connections, but that is if they even want him to be a villain anymore. I get the feeling they want him to be more like Deadpool than some villain now which is a little unfortunate. He was one of DC's best villains.

James Jr. was a very good Joker-type villain for Nightwing and very different from a threat like Deathstroke, which was nice. He and Grayson really represented polar opposites of each other especially in how they viewed the world. Unfortunately it seems like in the New 52 they made James Jr. more of Babs nemesis, which I get, but it is just another thing on a long list of things Dick lost in the reboot. Just sad to see the dynamic they build up between each other in the Black Mirror saga not matter much anymore, but oh well.

Also for a new/reimagined character to really be accepted the story they are reintroduced in has to be amazing and epic (like James Jr. in the Black Mirror) so the reader can buy in to this character actually being a legitimate nemesis and threat. I mean look at what they did with Shiva. They gave her some type of history with Nightwing but the story they are introducing her in is dull (feels like filler honestly) and completely botched her design to where it is difficult to take her seriously, which isn't good for someone they could be trying to make as his potential nemesis.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Fantasgasmic

I would say Rose Wilson could be his nemesis if it wasn't for how she's been shat on by the New52.

Jawshco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jawshco

I like the idea of a new villain for Dick. How about the Giggler?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#10  Edited By cbishop

I liked Lady Vic as his Catwoman, and Blockbuster as his Kingpin.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Gman!!!!!! Breaking down Lady Shiva, love it. You were spot on about Shiva not being the type to have an arch-nemesis, at least not in the classic/traditional sense. And I dont see her becoming Nightwing's in the New52. Its somewhat obvious from her recent appearances that her plans/interest in Nightwing isnt about killing him. She's grooming him. And to an extent, training him. She mocks him about being in the shadow of Batman in a way that suggests she is trying to make him stand on his own. But to what end? I do not know.

I personally love the costume now. I am fully on board with the costume. Forget the haters lol

New 52 Shiva is being presented as the badass she was reported to be in the original DCU. They accomplished this through her dialog almost as efficiently as they did her artistic combat portrayal.

Now I know this vid was more about Nightwing and who his arch-enemy could be but forget Nightwing, he's an after thought in all this. Once the Shiva arc is done I dont see myself picking up another issue anytime soon.

In closing, who cares who his arch-nemesis is. Make it Penguin for all I care :D

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By saoakden

I figure Saiko or William Cobb, The First Talon we saw, would be his enemy.

D_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By D_Knight

did they ever explain why nightwing's cange from blue to red? it was seeing him match with red hood and red robin in batman and robin #10 but is a better reason why?

Zaigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zaigre

After reading Robin: Year One and Nightwing's Last Rite tie-in I would say Two-Face.

PS: I forgot about the time when Dick was Batman and they fought.

RoTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RoTheKid

I think bringing in a new villain is an excellent idea! It should be done! I would embrace it! :) Also, I'd say have DeathStroke be a major villain for Dick as well.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By Queso6p4

I'm definitely digging this new setup. It's good getting more detailed answers to questions.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By JairamGanpat

It looks like they're trying to build up lady shiva as his nemesis...

Differentology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Differentology

Really guys???? Who should be his nemesis? It should be someone how has a deep connection with him. Someone that will be evenly matched with him. Someone that not only wanted to be him but to be better than him. Someone that would turn their love for him into hate. Can we say JASON TODD!!!!!!! Would that not be perfect?

redhood018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By redhood018

in the first volume there was dudely soames was kinda his nemesis maybe but in the new 52 he doesn't have any one and i think they should make it deathstorke

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Michiel76

Okay so i haven't read that many nightwing comics but since Batman has all these lets say weirdo's and freaks as villians shouldn't Nightwing have something else? Like maybe a Kingpin character or something like a cartel. They could target him because he's disrupting their drug trafficking etc. 
    Of course they could still hire the freaks, weirdo's and assasin characters to take care of him, but ultimately his nemesis would be a regular guy that's a crimelord, who of course wouldn't be without his own set of skills.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Loki9876

Prof pyg would be a great villain.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By modunhanul

Let's hope Dick gets his own villain.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vernierhawk001

@Differentology said:

Really guys???? Who should be his nemesis? It should be someone how has a deep connection with him. Someone that will be evenly matched with him. Someone that not only wanted to be him but to be better than him. Someone that would turn their love for him into hate. Can we say JASON TODD!!!!!!! Would that not be perfect?

I was thinking about that, too. Todd fanboys would be angry, though. I agree with James, Jr being a great choice. In addition to their history (see Black Mirror) it would be another way to bring Babs and Dick close (though not necessarily in a romantic way). Would be an intereting dynamic, too.

I saw Deathstroke as Dick's physical challenge (kinda his Bane...both villans are still smart) and James as his Joker/Riddler. Personally, I think dick might go train with shiva after death of the family (I haven't read Nigthwing 14 yet!)

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Zeeguy91

Dick should definitely fight more of the old Teen Titans enemies. I mean, the Nightwing title would be the perfect venue to reintroduce some of the older Teen Titans villains. I don't know why anyone didn't think of this before: Cheshire, Plasmus (although he already popped up in Blue Beetle), the Fearsome Five, Doctor Light (Arthur), and maybe some of the old Doom Patrol enemies can all be reintroduced as Nightwing villains. I mean, we did see that he, Roy, and Kory were on a team at some point in the past. Why haven't some of their old enemies come after him?

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hadrelius

I think it should be the one Court of Owls that was to be replaced by him that was returned.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SmoothJammin

Professor Pyg was his joker so to speak. I vote Pyg as an adversary. James Gordon was more of a rival. If Shiva trained Dick as she did Bruce during Knightfall I'd die a happier man. Call me old fashioned but if you're looking for a nemesis Deathstroke was always going to be his prime threat. Think about it, Team Builder vs Team Buster, a charming spontaneous young man vs a cold calculating old man.. I could literally write a list.

nem·e·sis

[nem-uh-sis]

noun,pluralnem·e·ses [-seez].1.somethingthatapersoncannotconquer,achieve,etc.:Theperformancetestprovedtobemynemesis.

2.anopponentorrivalwhomapersoncannotbestorovercome.

3.(initialcapitalletter)ClassicalMythology.thegoddessofdivineretribution.

4.anagentoractofretributionorpunishment.

captainspidey1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By captainspidey1

Madman

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By graysonofgotham

@Loki9876 said:

100%

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SmoothJammin

@richardjohngrayson said:

@Loki9876 said:

100%

Definitely. I think of it like this, in school you have your pop quiz, test and final exam. I believe to measure the calibur of Nightwing you must gauge him based on those 3 types of performances. His pop quizzes are like his Saiko's, Condiment Kings, Paragons of the world. These are the guys that come and go. The next tier are 'regular' villains that keep him in check--Pyg is like his test, who's almost there to reassure him "don't get too settled Nightwing, I'm a legitimate threat to your entire city" one misstep and it's Chemo revisited. He plays along with Nightwing's circus theme too so it's all love :) Deathstroke to me embodies the final exam. He's the big gun who only comes around when you want to pull off a hell of a story. Dick becomes the underdog in those circumstances and he's forced to dig deeper than he ever has to prove his mettle as a world beater. My two little cents.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#30  Edited By BatWatch

I cannot see the video. Anybody else having this problem?

AdmiralIndigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AdmiralIndigo

I am all for Professor Pyg. He and his Circus of the Strange could make some great dichotomy since Dick is now in charge of Haley's Circus. Great psychotic Batman villain that would work wonders being Nightwings's arch-foe since he first faced him when Dick was under the cowl.

cineman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By cineman

What about Sonya Zucco? She has deep ties to Dick's past, and has shown so far to not be a very trustworthy person. Push her into a vat of chemicals and Boom we got a nemesis for Dick. Also, what about James Gordon Jr? Or is he more of a Batgirl villain now? Tiger Shark?(although I think he's lame).

batarang614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By batarang614

@MrShway88: yea thts true too often hes just happy batman

SpaceCommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpaceCommander

I think it's gotta be either Deathstroke or James Jr cuz even though Deathstroke is sort of an antihero he's still a killer and Nightwing would probably still be against that. And if the some of the pre-New 52 stuff still stands, then that would mean that Deathstroke tried to kill him and his friends when he was a teen so that would probably leave a lasting impression on Dick. And I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that Scott Snyder built up James Jr to be the complete opposite of Dick. Like where Dick is really compassionate while James is a sadist and stuff.

Nightwingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nightwingdg

Deathstroke all the way! Most people say Deathstroke is Nightwing's Joker. DC has a goldmind on there hands if they would get a writer to plot out an epic Nightwing/Deathstroke story. Idea: Nightwing trains with Shiva,Deathstroke takes on a contract to kill shiva cause he wants to prove he is the greatest merc. Deathstroke vs Nightwing vs Lady Shiva battle royale, just think of the epicness right there. DC wastes their great characters with terrible writers and stories; look at the last 2 issues with Lady Shiva. What a waste of panels that trash was.

Then Kyle Higgins, a writer with passion for the character, gets wasted on BS Joker tie ins.

slopoke36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By slopoke36

@JairamGanpat: I hope not. She seems a little lame to me.

TheRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheRobin

I think Deathstroke would work. Also a new character would be good. The new character could work as a Catwoman for him.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#38  Edited By JairamGanpat

@slopoke36 said:

@JairamGanpat: I hope not. She seems a little lame to me.

Her new 52 incarnation is quite lame but I'm not gonna ignore that all her new 52 appearances have been with Nightwing of the past and present and her speech has basically been "There, more to see from you, Nightwing". She's definitely going to be a recurring character for Nightwing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.