Anybody else gonna miss the Dick and Damian power duo?

#1 Posted by reaperkenswolf (39 posts) - - Show Bio

This is one of the things that I can't really let go of. I can take Dick's new Nightwing *cough*Ravager*cough* costume, and all the stuff that I find annoying about it, but I just don't see the partnership of Bruce and Damian to be as healthy for Damian's social development as his partnership with Dick was. I would be absolutely fine with the new dynamic duo being "Nightwing and Robin" or something along those lines because, frankly, Dick and Damian make a good team. You put Damian and Bruce together, and you have two Bruces on the same team. Not a good idea.

What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by reaperkenswolf (39 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nighthunter: Nice. I'm kinda struggling to find something positive about this New 52. Even giving Barbara her legs back has turned into

something that I wish hadn't happened, with her regressing back into Batgirl.

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (58156 posts) - - Show Bio

pffft no, no one is going to miss that.
BB

#5 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaperkenswolf said:

This is one of the things that I can't really let go of. I can take Dick's new Nightwing *cough*Ravager*cough* costume, and all the stuff that I find annoying about it, but I just don't see the partnership of Bruce and Damian to be as healthy for Damian's social development as his partnership with Dick was. I would be absolutely fine with the new dynamic duo being "Nightwing and Robin" or something along those lines because, frankly, Dick and Damian make a good team. You put Damian and Bruce together, and you have two Bruces on the same team. Not a good idea.

What do you guys think?

I think Dick was the brother that helped Damian open up but Bruce is the father that needs to kick him into shape and fly straight. I do think Dick is going to be a continuing influence on Damian though, just not right away, comics are slow like that.
#6 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd much rather see Tim and Damian swap cowls and have it be Dick and Damian (Nightwing & RedRob) and Tim and Bruce (Batman & Rob), but at the same time they really do need to develop the relationship between Bruce and Damian.

#7 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4764 posts) - - Show Bio

The chemistry between Damien and Bruce is pretty bad, so much in fact I wonder if they're slating Damien to be a serial killer in five years.

#8 Posted by DomDom (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

I in the least wish DC had just some sort of "bring-it-all-togther" kinda understanding at the end of the Batman & Robin series before Dick and Daimians seperation or something more then ending it in london without any real understanding reason?!  A HUG!  A simple, brotherly hug woulda made me feel a lil better about the two departing.... 

I don't think Bruce will ever be able to bond with Damian like Dick could, not just because they are both so darn serious, but because (like dick said in the old B&R series) "he's the only person who'd ever put up with him".  That and Dick was the little brats opposite.  His easy-going personality made them mesh perfectly together as a team. 

Now i fear for Daimian's life!  He's getting more violent in the new B&R series and that's kinda what happened to Jason before..................the crowbar! 

Daimian might even turn villain or somethin without Dick's fun-atmosphere there beside him to lighten the kid up. 
I see his future as looking very, very ...dark... =(
#9 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nighthunter: LOL awesome

#10 Posted by crackerjack82 (2607 posts) - - Show Bio

Man i truly began to love Batman again, with dick being him, and Damian being the way he is, made for a very cool Robin.

#11 Posted by daredevil21134 (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope

#12 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing and Robin doesn't sound that bad....

#13 Posted by Samimista (20833 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm starting to miss the duo.

#14 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

They are going to be back together in an upcoming issue.

#15 Edited by richardjohngrayson (439 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't help but feel Damian's character has regressed since the start of the DCnU. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a villain. I've grown to really like the little dude. Dick and Damian were a great team.

#16 Posted by BlackArmor (6142 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually enjoying Damians time with Bruce it will be cool to see where it goes when the dust has settled at the end of the first arc

#17 Posted by richardjohngrayson (439 posts) - - Show Bio

As am I. I just worry he could end up being a bad guy. Getting me to care shows good writing. I love the new book just also miss the old duo.

#18 Posted by Trodorne (2592 posts) - - Show Bio
@crackerjack82 said:

Man i truly began to love Batman again, with dick being him, and Damian being the way he is, made for a very cool Robin.

I second that.
#19 Posted by reaperkenswolf (39 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so happy at how well this thread kept going.

@SmoothJammin: I thought so, too. It'd certainly be a bit of a different angle.

#20 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaperkenswolf: I've always been of the idea that Dick can just as well take on another sidekick, say Steph Brown and make her the Flamebird to his Nightwing. But I believe to do that would mean moving to a different location like Bludhaven or Chicago.

#21 Posted by reaperkenswolf (39 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin: Isn't Bludhaven nothing but a crater, now?

#22 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

@DomDom said:

I in the least wish DC had just some sort of "bring-it-all-togther" kinda understanding at the end of the Batman & Robin series before Dick and Daimians seperation or something more then ending it in london without any real understanding reason?! A HUG! A simple, brotherly hug woulda made me feel a lil better about the two departing.... I don't think Bruce will ever be able to bond with Damian like Dick could, not just because they are both so darn serious, but because (like dick said in the old B&R series) "he's the only person who'd ever put up with him". That and Dick was the little brats opposite. His easy-going personality made them mesh perfectly together as a team. Now i fear for Daimian's life! He's getting more violent in the new B&R series and that's kinda what happened to Jason before..................the crowbar! Daimian might even turn villain or somethin without Dick's fun-atmosphere there beside him to lighten the kid up. I see his future as looking very, very ...dark... =(

It's actually unfortunate how rare you see people, especially family members hug in comics :( I remember when I read Second Coming, and in the scene with Legion all I wanted was for Professor X to give him a hug and say "It's good to see you son" or something sweet like that. It would have added so much to the book I think

#23 Posted by KEROGA (1024 posts) - - Show Bio

i miss the finger stripes...there were original

#24 Posted by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

I really miss them.

I'm also pretty worried that all of Morrisons hard work on Damian is going down the drain.

I remember first reading Batman & Son and hating the kid, then slowly over the course of the whole GM run the character is expertly developed, you warm to him, you tolerate him, then you actually start to really like him... I really believe that the mass fan dislike of the character at the start was fully intended by Morrison, he planned the whole process (just like I believe he intended to create uncertainty among fans about his run, it's writing far above the normal scale and quality... meta-writing if you will, messing with our heads... Morrison is the Joker!).

He earned the fans respect and acceptance over a long period of time, Morrison knew that Damian needed Dick in order for readers to like him.

Dick and Damian as B&R was a perfect juxtaposition of the long ingrained "normal" Batman and Robin dynamic.

Damian: "So we're agreed, it's Robin and Batman from now on."

Dick: "Yeah, like that'll catch on."

#25 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick played Obi-Wan and Damian was Anakin basically, lol. He's headed down a dark path with Bruce. I've mentioned this analogy before but I think it's so interesting to judge the difference in mentorship between Bruce and Dick. Note how every one of Bruce's protege's had Nightwing to guide them in the right direction, offer useful advice and watched out for them. When you compare that to the Robins/partners who weren't so fortunate to have Dick you start to see a pattern. Jason was killed during Death in a Family, Stephanie bit the dust in War Games, Cassie became a villain and eventually faded into obscurity. Nightwing was the reason Ravager turned on her father Deathstroke and sided with the heroes. Same with Damian. Tim maintained a special bond with Dick who was fiercely protective over his younger brother. He survived the hardships of Robin and moved onto another mantle. If there were an academy for young heroes in DC Dick would most surely be one of it's teachers. Come to think of it, I can't imagine why he hasn't joined up with JSA..

#26 Posted by superbatprime (130 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear to god if Damian gets killed or turns villain... I'll kick in the door of DC HQ wearing hockey pads... >(

If something like that happens to the kid, Bruce may well end up losing more than just Damian.

Dick would flip out, not to mention Alfred.

#27 Edited by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaperkenswolf: Pre-reboot I believe it became a location for Darkseids parademons to transport through during Final Crisis. I remember there was a huge underground command center the Atomic Knights fled to at the end of Battle For Bludhaven after it was nuked. Yea yea, that same location became a manufacturing grounds/HQ for Darkseids minions. In Return of Bruce Wayne it's a damn ghost town, very Chernobyl-esque. You see Dick and Damian wearing Hazmat suits looking for clues as to Batman's whereabouts.

#28 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Dick and Damien were great together. His work with Damien was just more proof of the difference between him and Bruce. Dick's meant to be around others and thrives in social settings. Bruce doesn't. I think his relationship with Damien is very damaging for the kid and that he should be put into a foster home lol Iove ya Bruce but you're doing just awful right now. The truly ironic thing about it all is that Dick's the great mentor he is partly because of Bruce and the way Bruce mentored him. I think he learned what not to do and what didn't work from that relationship. He's able to look back on it and see all the good, remember his comment during Infinite Crisis about how the Early Years were the best (Also remember how Bruce said he couldn't remember), but he also remembers all the bad that drove the two apart. This led him to doing his best to be there for the Robin's that came after them, as he knew what they'd go through as Bruce's partner. He's really been mentoring since Jason, where he didn't take an active enough role due to outside forces, and its culminated in his relationship with Damien, where the kid really started to grow on everyone who hated him when he first appeared.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.