Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9476 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Any thoughts on Grayson's appearance in Batgirl 45

rfilipek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have to admit, I was looking forward to Dick and Babs talking since Grayson #12 ... But I was left disappointed. His behavior was a bit, should I dare say, immature. Playful, but a bit childish. Granted, I'm not a big fan of the new Barbara Gordon either. Regardless, I found his behavior a bit out of character. I'm still new to his character, so I could be completely off in my assessment. I also need to read the comic again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

In a somewhat related note, I'm also concerned about what DC might be doing with his character. Dick appears kissing Starfire in the cover of the January 2016 issue of her comic. So, in Batgirl he confessed his love for Babs and then he appears kissing Starfire ... ? I just don't know what to make of this. Maybe it's just the cover and they don't really kiss at all. I know Dick and Kori have a lot of chemistry so perhaps it's nothing major. But, it just seems a bit odd, especially after his appearance in Batgirl. Any thoughts?

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Starfire covers are obviously just a tease. He's not going to be a mainstay in that book, so he won't be getting back with Starfire any time soon. Dick was out of character in Batgirl, but that's just something that happens when a character guest stars in a lot of books.

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Folly

I thought his appearance in Batgirl was handled rather badly. Not only because he came off as a... dick.

The "Gaston"-Vibe would have worked for me if the whole presentation would have been better. He was there without a reason and pushed the wedding into the background. If they had given the wedding and him individual Issues then his appearance could have probably become more reasonable.

There was also the problem that the something like this happened in one of the N52 Batgirl Annuals before. There was no romantic chemistry since forever between them but they showed him as if he uses Barbara as a rebound-girlfriend. Such an action also doesn't seem much like Dick, he has always regarded Barbara highly. It still could have been an Issue that shows his flaws i.e. that he expected everything to stay like it was even thou he died if the respect had not been missing.

rfilipek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree ... He came off out of character. I'm sure there would have been a better way to accentuate his flaws. I'm glad Babs stood up for herself, but a little character consistency in a crossover wouldn't kill anyone. In terms of Starfire: we will have to see. I hope they're not making him out to be "girlfriend shopping" in a cheap attempt to lure in more readers. As long as it progresses his character story then it's all good. Otherwise, I hope it's not another mess of a crossover like Batgirl 45. At least the Batgirl annual showed more character consistency.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I didn't have a problem with his appearance. Sometimes readers confuse characterizations that make a character look bad with bad characterizations. Dick Grayson can be a controlling a-hole or a .....dick Grayson.without the Grayson. Ironically people on social media frequently complain that we haven't seen the dark side of Dick Grayson, the one that can be controlling or an a-hole...yet those are the same people that complain about Batgirl #45 for making Dick Grayson look like....a controlling a-hole (can't please everyone). I think that it makes sense for Agent Grayson to feel as though he can literally charm his way into Barbara's life and that she would drop everything to come back to him. For a character that is around 21 years old, that type of behavior is feasible (in college I saw that happen ALL THE TIME) and he should show some immaturity from time-to-time. My two problems with the issue wass that it was rushed, would have been better if these two teamed up for a couple issues, fought a bad-guy together in the first issue THEN have a talk about their relationship. Also, the dialogue was overdramatic and I'm sick and tired of DC trying to push Dick/Babs as star-crossed lovers. They're at their best when written like good friends who slowly start to fall for each other over the course of years with their affection for each other is shown with more subtlety. Now after Grayson #13 and Batgirl #45, they're more like Romeo/Juliet, star-crossed lovers who were destined to fall in love since their first-night fighting crime in Gotham but there will always be something that keeps them apart...I cri evrytim

Now maybe I'm biased in my analysis because I'm not a huge fan of Dick/Babs but I don't think Batgirl #45 was that bad. Yeah, Dick didn't come off too well....that happens. I just hope that Barbara is able to develop a love interest that ISN'T A ROBIN, preferably one that ISN'T IN GOTHAM and Dick is able to develop a love interest that WASN'T A MAJOR LOVE INTEREST IN PRE-FLASHPOINT CONTINUITY, ala no Kori or Babs. Let's use the reboot as an opportunity to explore what types of relationships these two can develop on their own......or have a three-way relationship between Dick/Kori/Babs that'll be different and ground-breaking lol.

My rating of the issue: 7.5/10 not a bad comic but a bit rushed and at times overdramatic.

Vitacura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vitacura

It was pretty awful. Dick was out of character and ridiculous. More than anything highlighted how Dick can't be translated to Barbara's world anymore.

That relationship is dead, their interactions are always painfully awkward and miserable. I wish people would just let it go.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, the majority of the issue was off. There didn't seem to be any pressing need for Dick to be there, rather he was clearly just shoehorned in to create drama. So of course he then comes off as a dick when he's interrupting a moment between Barbara and the new guy. But that in itself is also shoehorned in as Barbara's suddenly developed feelings for this dude out of nowhere, with no real longterm buildup beforehand. I mean, even the wedding the issue's dealing with feels out of nowhere. Really the entire issue read like one big cliche storm, though there were good moments. Dick and Barbara parted on decent terms and Barbara called Dick out for showing up the way he did at the wedding (Though if i'm being honest I also thought she overreacted to some extent)

Something else I didn't understand, how did Dick not know who Luke was? Also, why the heck is Barbara still in that handmade costume? In a way its even worse than Jason's current outfit. It made sense at first, as she had no other option. But at this point it's just silly and realistically isn't practical or smart in any way.

I'm also kind of done with the way Dick and Barbara are being written (As a couple/possible couple) in the New 52. Similarly to a lot of other characters its like the writers are trying to base things off of the previous continuity, which obviously doesn't work anymore. Therefore, we're supposed to believe that they have great chemistry and history between them when it has yet to really be shown. (A team-up book would do wonders for this kind of thing) At the same time, no one seems interested in actually putting in a little hard work and time into developing the relationship once again, like Dixon did during his run. So far in the New 52, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. that the possibility of them being together comes up its torpedo'd in some fashion. I'm going to be honest, Barbara's turned Dick down twice now. I'd appreciate it if we just put this relationship aside for a while and focused on something else. They want Barbara with Luke? Cool. Leave it at that and have Dick work on other things. (Want to see more of his past with Kori, but based on how Barbara's been handled that's probably setting myself up for a bad time.)

Also, am I the only person that's confused as to how old Barbara Gordon is supposed to be? I feel as if she's written like a 16 year old girl now, and the artwork (While charming and nice) doesn't help with that.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitacura said:

It was pretty awful. Dick was out of character and ridiculous. More than anything highlighted how Dick can't be translated to Barbara's world anymore.

That relationship is dead, their interactions are always painfully awkward and miserable. I wish people would just let it go.

I sadly agree 100% agree. The new Barbara Gordon is not the Babs she used to be. I'm very happy Dick has remained the character I love. Batgirl is just not a book I enjoy. I really enjoy the character of Harper Row and am also enjoying Stephanie Brown and the friendship that has formed between the two aforementioned characters. They have replace Barbra as my female Bat family favorites.

rfilipek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rfilipek

@nathaniel_christopher:

"Also, am I the only person that's confused as to how old Barbara Gordon is supposed to be? I feel as if she's written like a 16 year old girl now, and the artwork (While charming and nice) doesn't help with that"

No, you're not. I used to like her calm and collected attitude pre 52, but now, she's a bit annoying as a character IMHO. Her pout doesn't help much either.

Also, unless the writers/DC are planning on bringing Grayson back to Gotham permanently, it is best for him to be paired with a brand new love interest, not an old one.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What really make Dick look bad is that he needed to be saved by Barbara from Killer Moth.

And what I found strange was the thing with Dick hanging from ceiling lamps at the Wayne office when he was younger, in the new 52 he was 16 when he became Robin.

The new Batgirl feels for me still like it was set in an other universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.