Announcing the Guest Creative Team for NIGHTWING #13-14

#1 Posted by Alexander505 (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

Announcing the Guest Creative Team for NIGHTWING #13-14

This fall, NIGHTWING’s Dick Grayson will battle against the villainous Lady Shiva. In issue #13, find out why one of the world’s most grave assassins returned to Gotham City. And in issue #14, watch the epic martial arts throwdown between the two. And even if Nightwing may be outmatched this time, he won’t go down without a fight!

Taking over as guest writer for NIGHTWING #13-14 is Tom DeFalco, the fan-favorite writer behind such titles as LEGION LOST, SUPERBOY and NIGHTWING #0. And joining him to take on artist duties are Andres Guinaldo and Mark Irwin.

“When writer Kyle Higgins needed a breather to gear up for the Joker’s monstrous return in issue #15, I turned to Tom, who pitched in on issue #0,” series editor Brian Cunningham told THE SOURCE. “I’ll just come out and say it: Tom ranks among the best ever at writing street-level heroes. And Tom really delivered with his first solo trip to Gotham, following the narrative that Kyle has developed without skipping a beat, and helping to set up the Joker arc. And it felt natural for Tom to continue exploring the character of Lady Shiva, who first appears in NIGHTWING #0."

"In this story, both Dick and Shiva have grown up some since their first encounter—they’re not teenagers anymore—so it’ll be fun to see how each fares in a fair fight. Wait, did I say fair fight? Forget it—Shiva remains by far the better fighter, so it’s up to Dick to find a way just stay alive!"

"On the art side, Andres Guinaldo is an on-the-rise artist to be reckoned with, and you can quote me. He’s extremely talented and has an idiosyncratic style that’s also perfectly suited for mainstream comics. Keep your eye on this guy—he will only get better. You’ll see what he’s capable of in these two issues, especially after Mark masterfully inks him.”

Below, take an exclusive first look at NIGHTWING #14 by checking out Eddy Barrows and Eber Ferreira’s cover for the issue, which hits stores on November 21

#2 Posted by Alexander505 (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

This autumn, Nightwing vs Lady Shiva. Awesome :O

#3 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to this.

I actually like the idea of Dick probably not being able to beat Lady Shiva (although given that he bested William Cobb, the best of the Talon's, I wonder how they'll make it seem believable) in a 'fair fight'. It should allow us to see what Dick's truly capable of, we'll see his resourcefulness come to the forefront, given that he's been Batman during the New 52 I expect him to use a lot of tactics and 'cheat' methods of winning (which is what Bruce is so good at).

#4 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio
"In this story, both Dick and Shiva have grown up some since their first encounter—they’re not teenagers anymore—"

Is this implying that Dick and Shiva are the same age?

#5 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

"In this story, both Dick and Shiva have grown up some since their first encounter—they’re not teenagers anymore—"

It's probably inferring that the age gap between the two isn't all that big.

In the New 52 Dick became Robin at 16. There's nothing to say that they first encountered each other when Dick was 16 and Shiva was 16-19.

In any case, the age difference itself doesn't bother me that much.

#6 Edited by richardjohngrayson (393 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds really cool. Gonna be a fun fight for sure.

that being said I hope Kyle is just on break.

I really want Kyle Higgins around for a good long run. Kyle kicks ass.

#7 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson said:

Sounds really cool. Gonna be a fun fight for sure.

that being said I hope Kyle is just on break.

I really want Kyle Higgins around for a good long run. Kyle kicks ass.

Doubt it's more than a break to be honest. Its probably a good thing too, it means we're more likely to get a really kick-ass Nightwing issue (or 2 or 3 perhaps) when the Joker returns.

#8 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat: What does this mean for Cassandra Cain though? Did her mom have her when she was 8?

#9 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

@LuigiBat: What does this mean for Cassandra Cain though? Did her mom have her when she was 8?

Grant Morrison said she'd be appearing in the New 52 continuity at 'some point'. So I guess it'll be a couple of years before she gets used again.

#10 Posted by Mercy_ (92083 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have killed to see Higgins write Shiva.

#11 Posted by lilcraig92 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope they dont make nightwing get his ass kick

#12 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat said:

@r3d_rob1n said:

In the New 52 Dick became Robin at 16. There's nothing to say that they first encountered each other when Dick was 16 and Shiva was 16-19.

How do we know he was 16 when he became Robin?

I'm dropping Nightwing after the 0 issue due to financial restraints, I want to pick this up though. XD

#13 Posted by richardjohngrayson (393 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@LuigiBat said:

@r3d_rob1n said:

How do we know he was 16 when he became Robin?

I'm dropping Nightwing after the 0 issue due to financial restraints, I want to pick this up though. XD

Kyle Higgins said Bruce took Dick Grayson in at 16 on twitter.

#14 Posted by Trodorne (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as it sucks not seeing Kyle write Lady Shiva, it will still be a good story none the less.

#15 Edited by Alexander505 (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick stomps Shiva. You will see. Obviously Dick should not be using any gadgets, otherwise easy victory for Dick.

#16 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alexander505 said:

Dick stomps Shiva. You will see.

The writer himself said she is far and away the better fighter of the two, so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. No one doubts he will find a way to win, but stomp? Seems more like wishful thinking on your part.
#17 Posted by Alexander505 (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, so? Dick is smart, excellent strategist, and is the best acrobat in the world. Obviously, I repeat again, him do not use any gadgets, otherwise easy victory for Dick.

#18 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alexander505 said:

Yeah, so? 

Wait until the issue is published, then say whatever you wish. "You will see" is meaningless. You are not the writer.
#19 Edited by Alexander505 (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

@Alexander505 said:

Yeah, so?

Wait until the issue is published, then say whatever you wish. "You will see" is meaningless. You are not the writer.

Yep, you will see.

#20 Posted by Lvenger (16017 posts) - - Show Bio

@Alexander505 said:

Dick stomps Shiva. You will see. Obviously Dick should not be using any gadgets, otherwise easy victory for Dick.

Given that it's been acknowledged Shiva is a far superior fighter than Dick, that's not the way things will play out most likely. You posted this article, look at the bit where it says, "Shiva remains by far the better fighter, so it’s up to Dick to find a way just stay alive!" Saying Dick stomps with a statement by this is quite biased. He'll find a way to win but the comment implies Dick is most certainly not going to stomp this fight. It would be disrespectful to Shiva's character if that were to happen. Just wait till you read the issue before jumping to conclusions.

#21 Posted by iLLituracy (13522 posts) - - Show Bio

So no one's upset that Cassandra Cain can't possibly exist in current DC continuity or did no one realize this?

#22 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Alexander505 said:

There is no way in hell that Dick will 'stomp' Shiva. He isn't good enough to do that.

As I said before, he'll find some resourceful way of scraping through the fight and will ultimately win but it won't be by a big margin at all.

#23 Posted by Billy Batson (56913 posts) - - Show Bio

@iLLituracy said:

So no one's upset that Cassandra Cain can't possibly exist in current DC continuity or did no one realize this?

Sure but they're in the Shiva thread :p
BB

#24 Edited by Alexander505 (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

If I were Dick, I would blow up Lady Shiva with a bat-explosive. Too bad that Dick is a good guy. However, Dick has a better protection, thanks to its suit, and is physically superior to Shiva.

#25 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1782 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilcraig92 said:

i hope they dont make nightwing get his ass kick

I hope they do, because I like to think of Shiva as being far more skilled than Nightwing. I love Nightwing. And I'm not saying I want him to lose the fight... I just hope that he doesn't win with just his martial arts, because he shouldn't be able to. If he gets creative and smart, he could beat Shiva in a far more satisfying way than just beating her up.

#26 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by SmoothJammin (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no excuse for Nightwing to outclass Shiva at her own game. If he wins it's because she didn't take him seriously enough and he outwitted her.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.