Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9486 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

An Ominous Solicit... Perhaps.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

Edited By sj_esposito

Over the years, Dick Grayson has worn several guises: First, he was Robin the Boy Wonder, then Nightwing, and finally Batman. But now that Bruce Wayne has donned the cape and cowl once again, Dick finds himself at an identity crossroads.

The above is the description for Batman #713, which ships in August. I suppose this is (or was) to be expected; I just thought it'd last a little longer. Now, I could be totally blowing this out of proportion. This could be just the beginning of another great Dick Grayson story -- or it could be the end of Dick's run as Batman.

If it proves to be the latter, I can't help but feel that I don't want to see him go. I think there's just so much to be explored with Dick wearing the cowl in Gotham, and the writers have barely scratched the surface. I wouldn't necessarily be upset if Dick has to give up the mantle, in fact, I'm expecting it to happen, but I don't think the time is right.

The upside is that its written by Fabian Nicieza, so we can almost guarantee a good solid arc no matter the direction it goes. If anyone is going to craft his exit, I'd like it to be Fabian. He knows the characters so well.

What do you guys think? Is this the beginning of the end for Dick as Batman, or am I being an alarmist? There are many other issues that can bear fruitful discussions related to this topic. Example: what will happen to Dick after he leaves the cowl behind (either sooner or later)? Will he go back to being Nightwing? Will he take on a new mantle? Will he be killed off?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#1  Edited By RazzaTazz

Nightwing would be the way to go.  Killing him off would be pointless as no hero ever stays dead.  There is so much character history with Nightwing that I am surprised they dont stay there anyway.  In fact Dick had the cowl once before, and he gave it up willingly then had some of the greatest stories ever written about him. 
    sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sj_esposito
    @RazzaTazz said:
    Nightwing would be the way to go.  Killing him off would be pointless as no hero ever stays dead.  There is so much character history with Nightwing that I am surprised they dont stay there anyway.  In fact Dick had the cowl once before, and he gave it up willingly then had some of the greatest stories ever written about him. 
    Not that killing him would be pointless, because I think some character deaths have made significant impacts even if they're not long-lasting, but I'd hate to see him get killed also. If there's one character in the DCU whose death would have a major impact, it's Dick. Didio has mentioned wanting to kill Dick off in the past, and ever since I've read that I've been kind of waiting for it to happen. I agree that Nightwing is probably the best route story-wise, but it leaves a bit desired as far as character progression.

I know that Dick can't be under the cowl forever, but I'm just enjoying his run so much. I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again: I think Dick is a more interesting Batman than Bruce is. I love Bruce just as much as the next Batfan, but it's cool to see Dick kind of come full circle, take on a protege and fight crime in Gotham in his own way.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

theirs already a thread about this
    sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sj_esposito
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    You're correct. I should have checked the forum before I linked my blog to it. My apologies.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @sEsposito7 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    You're correct. I should have checked the forum before I linked my blog to it. My apologies.

no problem, we've all made the same mistake before
    DomDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By DomDom

I truely hope they don't kill Dick...

I'd be devastated forever or worse!  I know they came close to killing him off before, I sure hope they don't do it now.

Grayson is my all-time fav character! 0.0 

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sj_esposito
    @DomDom said:

I truely hope they don't kill Dick...

I'd be devastated forever or worse!  I know they came close to killing him off before, I sure hope they don't do it now.

Grayson is my all-time fav character! 0.0 

I'd hate to see him get killed, as well, but it certainly would cause major ripple effects throughout the entire DCU -- everyone would feel it. If he is going to bite it, than at least we can be sure that they'll do him justice, because it would be a huge deal.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By jrock85
    @sEsposito7:
    I'm fairly certain that they're not going to kill him off, and I doubt that DC would end his tenure as Batman this soon. I vaguely remember him telling Bruce that he's ready to go back to being Nightwing in an earlier issue of Batman and Robin. As long as he's still fighting crime I don't care what costume he's in.
    sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sj_esposito
    @jrock85 said:
    @sEsposito7: I'm fairly certain that they're not going to kill him off, and I doubt that DC would end his tenure as Batman this soon. I vaguely remember him telling Bruce that he's ready to go back to being Nightwing in an earlier issue of Batman and Robin. As long as he's still fighting crime I don't care what costume he's in.
    Maybe you're right. I just think killing Dick would be an easy way for DC to springboard out of the Batman, Inc. era; and come to think of it, even if that's the case, this era certainly won't be ending any time soon, so killing him would be a while off anyway.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By jrock85
    @sEsposito7:
    They did plan on killing him once, but there was a strong backlash at that proposal from fans so they scrapped that idea. Anyway, DC has nothing to gain by killing him off.
    hydro 300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By hydro 300

This issue is coming in august  but in june there is an information that Johns and Lee will drop some bombs about the DCU so maybe something about Dick?

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sj_esposito
    @hydro 300 said:
    This issue is coming in august  but in june there is an information that Johns and Lee will drop some bombs about the DCU so maybe something about Dick?
    Where did you see this?
    hydro 300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By hydro 300
    sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sj_esposito
    @hydro 300 said:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/116/1168862p1.html Sorry the bombs will be dropped in august.
    Pretty interesting stuff. I don't know how I feel about a possible reboot. I mean, on the one hand, it'd be cool to see things shaken up, but on the other, I feel like we've come so far in the past few years and to reboot it all would be stupid.

As far is Dick is concerned, if there is a reboot, it's almost a sure thing that he won't be Batman after they push the button.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.