Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9476 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

A psychology analyst of Dick Grayson

GraysonMatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am currently crafting a well thought-out and in depth analyst of Dick Grayson, but I was wondering what some of your thoughts were on him.

Also, when it is done, would you like to read it?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By z3ro180

I would love to read it. We all know compared to Bruce ( who is pretty crazy) that Dick is pretty normal.

GraysonMatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is compared to Dick but there is so much to him. He too witnessed his parents death.

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i cant wait to read it.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Analysis?

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to read it. Will share my thoughts on this later today

GraysonMatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GraysonMatter

You had me worried for a second, and you are right.

I am going to be doing a psychoanalysis.

Thank You.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sounds interesting but you don't really need a psychoanalysis to determine how he got to this point. Unless your trying to look into something else? Dream analysis? Conflicts between the id ego super ego? Defense mechanism he may have developed ? His psychosexual development ? Why exactly are you trying to find?

GraysonMatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GraysonMatter

Sounds interesting but you don't really need a psychoanalysis to determine how he got to this point. Unless your trying to look into something else? Dream analysis? Conflicts between the id ego super ego? Defense mechanism he may have developed ? His psychosexual development ? Why exactly are you trying to find?

I am trying to show how he became who he is as a person. What is ID, Ego, and Super Ego are. How he tends to cope with tragedies (so yes, his defense mechanism). I am trying to state if a hero (or villain in some cases) are actually insane or if they are a product of their past.

If you have any ideas, please PM me. I would enjoy some feedback.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's got some daddy issues (with Batman) and tends to be oblivious to other's feelings (with Barbara).

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd definitely read it. In terms of how he became who he is it's often pointed out in universe that he's a performer at heart, was doing flips in the air before he knew how to walk. Unlike Bruce (depending on the universe) he got closure in terms of his parents murder, caught the guy who did it, and was still very young when it all happened. Unlike Bruce who had to live with not knowing who murdered his parents well into adulthood, Dick was able to solve the crime, and therefore move on with his life to some extent.

Unlike Bruce, he never wanted Dick Grayson to be a cover for Robin. Both are equal aspects to who he is, which is why unlike Bruce he's never let Dick Grayson be a playboy or another fake, but has often sought to create a real life and indentity for himself. Though he's never forgotten his parents, Dick considers Bruce to be his father and therefore has numerous issues from that father/son relationship, as Bruce isn't exactly father of the year. There's also Dick's personality, which leads to him not only talking while in the field, but naturally attracting a diverse group of people around him, hence, Pre-Flashpoint, his multiple tenures with the Teen Titans.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JayAaerow

Here's my thoughts on him:

Dick Grayson....is what I describe as Superman/Batman rolled into one when looking at him from a vigilante standpoint and sometimes attitude! Like Superman, he see's the good in everything and can seem incorruptible. However, like Batman, he is only human and has no superpowers, therefore, his view on life is much easier to taint then Superman.

His strengths as a person is his optimism and how easygoing he is. He would be the last person to complain, last person too look down on people, and be the one cracking jokes and showing sarcasm during missions. He also wants to help people in anyway he can! He's a very determine character. Before the reboot, he done everything he could to gain acknowledgement from Batman(Batman had his reasons for making it seem like he didn't even though he admit it any day of the week he's a much better person). This is because he's his father figure. To him, it's the ultimate way of knowing what he's doing is the right thing. In all though, he's learned that he defines himself, not Batman. However, he would still want him to acknowledge him. As time went by though, he saw that Batman did. Just not in a way he thought. He was able to catch this eventually because he knew Bruce. He understood him. He just let his emotions get in the way. He also is known to be very inspiring and friendly. He's been able to convert people like Rose Wilson and Damian Wayne for the better. And they have acknowledge that. Even Damian said to Batman he loved it when Dick was his partner, as he trusted him. And before his death, he said he was the best partner.

EDIT: I also forgot to stress the importance of him moving of from his parent's death. It's because of this he sets himself different from Batman and how strong of a person he is to move on and focus on him being inspired to help others because of them rather then seek eternal vengeance from their demise

He's also an adventuerer. He's positive. He loves a good adventure. He loves being a hero and helping other people out in anyway possible and apporaches people with charm. Many people as a result have no problems talking to Dick. Even Villains. He does get excited in during battle and smiles too.

However, close up, Dick has flaws. These flaws are what subject him to many insults to people who read comics and do not fully understand him. For example, his "daddy issues". He might of have had daddy issues, but it's a little more then that. He works and strives to get out of his shadow. However, he tends to end up doing exactly how Batman does his job. Only when he stops caring about it for a moment, he gets the job done in his own unique way. When he actively tries to do it in a different way then Batman, it just doesn't work. He's also can be very oblivious. He just cannot realize that whether or not he likes it, him and Batman are very similar. In skills and personality. More then he will admit it. He didn't wanna face the fact that deep down, give him a bad week/month and you will literally have a Batman Version 2. Except, he has the capability of being worse. After Donna Troy's death, he turned for a time. When he lead the Outsiders, he treated them how Batman said he treated him: a solider. Mind you, Batman only seems like that because he has a hard time expressing his feelings and the Justice League still value him as comrades and friend. Nightwing also had the same problem. He had a hard time knowing the fact that the Outsider's Team would later be consider his family. He would have quit before they would get that close but that doesn't mean he didn't care about them. No, he did. And tried to tell himself he didn't. When Joker killed Jason, Batman beat him into a body cast and Joker was lucky because of Gordon. When Dick thought Tim was dead, He also beat him into an inch of his life, also. It was thanks to Batman Joker was saved.

He was also never Jealous of Batman nor hated Batman. He always looked up to Batman. ALWAYS! He was his father figure. He can't even put up a fist to him properly when he should. Despite how Batman can be cold to him. Hugo Strange pointed out he was utterly loyal to Batman. However, his problem was that he would say he didn't want to be Batman...however, that's what he wants. He also wants to feel he's worthy of the legacy. However, Batman seemingly doesn't make him feel that way. Batman has explain numerous time he doesn't want Dick to take it. He feels the burden is unecessary to him and he's too good for such a dark mantle. Dick disagrees. Though he understands some of Batman's concerns. He's never told many people that. Superman was the only person to know that just by hanging with him over the years. The Nightwing mantle worked for him because he can do whatever he likes. However, being Batman was his Superhero dream. Many stories emphasize on him being his own man, but that's because he wants to prove to Bruce he has what it takes to be Batman If the day comes he needs to pass it on. However, many fans think that it's just him wanting to be just as good or better then Batman. To me, that's not the case. He wants to show Bruce he has what it takes to be Batman should he need to go. And that he can take it to new heights. Fans love him more as Nightwing but It was his dream since Robin to one day be Batman. He feels he worked just as hard as every other hero out there and has what it takes. But to do so, he needs the approval of Bruce. However, like I said, Bruce REALLY doesn't want him to. He feels he should be his own man. He will do almost whatever it takes to keep him away from it. Even if it strains their relationship. The Young Justice Black Canary talk with Robin is a great depiction of how he feels with being Batman If you need to see it. Even some words were spot on from what he told Superman. However, even with the drive Bruce has, he stills wants to be it. He also doesn't realize when he's Batman, he doesn't have to act like Bruce. He acts how he wants to act because the mantle is his. He never realized this until he WAS Batman himself. Though he had to act a certain way, he did things a little different then Bruce. In all, he wanted the Barry/Wally treatment. Where Wally became Flash and was not compared to him all the time and got the respect he worked for.

With that said, he has a hard time coping with people comparing him to Batman. People just don't understand sometimes that he's different from Batman in ways. Too many times, people compare him to Batman. It annoys him. Richard is similar to Bruce, but he's Richard. Simple at that. However, people around him do compare him to Bruce a lot. Sometimes, it's for comedic relief. And sometimes, they get in his face and mean it as an insult. He loves Bruce and all, but, he hardly wants to always be compared to him. Sometimes, he wants a "Good Job, Dick" instead of "Just as good as Bruce would have gotten it". He wants to be Batman, not Bruce.

He also feels he's under appreciated at times. This goes with his "Daddy Issues". But this also extends to other heroes. Though he ends up proving them completely wrong. His story is going from Sidekick to fully respected hero. As so, people do seem to view him as some rebellious Robin, still. Nightwing doesn't play the second fiddle game. That's a no-no. He feels no one should. And has vouched for side-kicks. Superman told him the story of Nightwing on Krypton. Part of the story noted a Kryptonian that was kicked out of his family and was not given as much credit then he actually earned. And he became a legend. Dick related to that and adopted the name for that reason

While this problem doesn't surface a lot, he has been shown to love adventure. However, how much does he like it can be a problem. While turning evil for him is laughable mostly, If he was, even Nightwing himself knows that it be hard to turn back. Similar to how Batman feels killing once will only lead to more. Deathstroke in the Teen Titans book has tried converting Dick with no advail. This problem doesn't get explored a lot, though . Sometimes, it would tempt him when he was having a bad day. Sorta like his time being Renegade. Except during that time, he was confused and still being good. Like I said, this problem doesn't surface up. However, in the Teen Titans series, this problem does show up when Slade forces him to be his apprentice. He did say Robin felt excited from fighting his friends. While it's not canon and the personality is different, that aspect is still there.

Avatar image for dicksihavestudied
    dicksihavestudied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@graysonmatter I would love to read your thoughts on this. Actually, I am getting people together via Tumblr to write academic (or academic-ish) pieces about Dick for his 75th. We are going to run them on a website if nothing else, but I am also going to try to find a publisher. There are quite a few scholarly books about Batman, but none about Dick. It might be a long shot, but I talked to at least one publisher that might be interested.

If anyone else is interested, please let me know! We welcome contributions from everyone. You don't have to be a "scholar" or even a college student. Anything goes on the project website, and we have people who can help you whip anything you write into shape should our publishing pipe dream come true.

: ) Here's our Tumblr: http://75yearsofdickgrayson.tumblr.com/

Please join the fun! Our writing crew is a bit female-heavy at the moment and variety is good.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayaaerow: Wow, excellent write-up!

I definitely can't wait to see what others have to say in their analysis. I'm pretty confident that I have a strong handle on the character, but there was one thing that always tickled my brain: Grayon's ability to move on. Sure, everyone goes through tough times and everyone eventually gets through them. However, it seems like Dick manages to just will himself back into the fray. The only time he was really emo was after he let Blockbuster II die, got raped, then acted like a bad guy for a few issues. Aside from that, he's always been good at recovering quickly from grief. At least he's a lot better at recovery than anyone else in the Bat family. You guys think it's because of his upbringing by the hands of other familial figures like Clark and Wally? Or maybe it's just in his innate nature to stay optimistic and look towards the future?

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alak said:

@jayaaerow: Wow, excellent write-up!

I definitely can't wait to see what others have to say in their analysis. I'm pretty confident that I have a strong handle on the character, but there was one thing that always tickled my brain: Grayon's ability to move on. Sure, everyone goes through tough times and everyone eventually gets through them. However, it seems like Dick manages to just will himself back into the fray. The only time he was really emo was after he let Blockbuster II die, got raped, then acted like a bad guy for a few issues. Aside from that, he's always been good at recovering quickly from grief. At least he's a lot better at recovery than anyone else in the Bat family. You guys think it's because of his upbringing by the hands of other familial figures like Clark and Wally? Or maybe it's just in his innate nature to stay optimistic and look towards the future?

Probably a combination of both, along with the fact that since he solved his parents case early in life he wasn't able to focus on it and make it a central point in his life, therefore starting life with a tragedy but moving on from it and accepting it. Remember Robin was always the light to Batman's darkness.

KidRobin1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayaaerow: that's all true and I rather like this analysis however personally while their are bits from Nightwing:Year One I do like for example Superman, I always felt that the simply growing up arguements for Dick moving on from being Robin back in the Judas Contract was more legitimate. I was always uncomfortable when writers say Dick quits or forcefully or Bruce fires him since in the end it just makes their father-son bond near none existent or painfully withering. Now Jason's death at the hands of Joker seems like the only real moment Dick and Bruce had tension and daddy issues yet I don't really see force at play in regards for Dick's ascension into Nightwing and pretty much after Tim Drake's intro and Knightfall the two seem on more friendly terms especially in Hush, The Technis Imperative and Dick's time as Batman.

So yeah I say Dick has MINOR daddy issues but when writers say he has a grudge like they tried to do with the Animated Universe or to some extent the Teen Titans animated series that makes me uncomfortable.

Nice analysis dude :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.