Follow

Dex-Starr

Character » Dex-Starr appears in 140 issues.

Dex-Starr is one of the most brutal and vicious Red Lanterns in Atrocitus' army ,who originally was just a blue house cat.

Lantern Ring Selection - Sentience Solely Required?

Avatar image for deactivated-60204c6c569bf
    deactivated-60204c6c569bf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Is sentience a major factor in the selection process of any of the Lantern Corps rings?  This question has been on my mind since reading Dex-starr's origin story.  The cat is from Earth and appears to be a normal, average Earth cat until he is taken by the ring, doles out 'justice' to the murderers, and is show having thought balloons.  So, do power rings make selections based on sentience alone or does the candidate have to be intelligent, self-aware, and able to reason?  I like Dex-starr, don't get me wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, not just any living creature can be a lantern.  Sure, there's lanterns like Leezle Pon and Despotellis along with Bzzd and Matris Ater Clementia.  Of course, there's also Mogo and Dkrtzy.  The things that all of these have in common is not only are they sentient (they have the ability to percieve and sense things), but they are all intelligent and able to communicate.  If that's the case with Dex-starr, then he is either a) not really of Earth or b) an evolved Earth cat which unfortunately happened to be taken by a red power ring.  So what's the deal?  Basically, nearly every living creature has the lowest level of sentience.  They can sense, feel, percieve their surroundings to some degree.  But shouldn't Lantern selection require more like self-awareness or conciousness?  Or maybe, since this all revolves around the emotional spectrum, perhaps all that is required is really emotional awareness?  Animals can emote, but do they understand what it's all about?  Strange questions, I know, but it'd be nice to have a clearer understanding regarding the Rage Kitty.

hamlet33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By hamlet33

I think i see what you mean... Sentience is probably required to a degree, like Matris Ater Clementia and Bzzd could've definitely used alot of will to fulfill a goal, and became lanterns. That being said, I doubt a rock could become a lantern, just becasue it's hard to break or something...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.