Why does bad stuff always happen to Christian characters in comic

#1 Posted by whirlwind6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightcrawler lost his faith for a while, that one preast lost his faith and started to scam people, Cap died, Gargoyle made a deal with demons, Devil-slayer lost his wife and his faith, Living Lightning turned out to be gay, Sin-eater was gay, went insane, and started to kill people, the first Fool-killer went insane.  Is it just me, or do all comic book writers (besides Stan Lee) hate Christians?

#2 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

agonism is growing pretty fast and athiesm even faster, so maybe some of the writers are becoming athiest.

#3 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio
whirlwind6 said:
"Nightcrawler lost his faith for a while, that one preast lost his faith and started to scam people, Cap died, Gargoyle made a deal with demons, Devil-slayer lost his wife and his faith, Living Lightning turned out to be gay, Sin-eater was gay, went insane, and started to kill people, the first Fool-killer went insane.  Is it just me, or do all comic book writers (besides Stan Lee) hate Christians?"

its just you
#4 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
whirlwind6 said:
"Nightcrawler lost his faith for a while, that one preast lost his faith and started to scam people, Cap died, Gargoyle made a deal with demons, Devil-slayer lost his wife and his faith, Living Lightning turned out to be gay, Sin-eater was gay, went insane, and started to kill people, the first Fool-killer went insane.  Is it just me, or do all comic book writers (besides Stan Lee) hate Christians?"

ALL comicbook writers besides Stan Lee hate Christians? Thats abit far dude.
#5 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Athiesm has one fifth the followers that christiany has and is growing faster than ever before, so maybe that would explain it. 

#6 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I'm Christian and I don't see what you listed as all that bad.

#7 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio
Dreadnaught said:
"Athiesm has one fifth the followers that christiany has and is growing faster than ever before, so maybe that would explain it. 
"

explain what?  if you look at the comics just as many characters whose faith we dont know go through the same types of things.  whirly's just crazy
#8 Posted by The_Superior_Sapien (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

#9 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#10 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
whirlwind6 said:

why is 'loosing your faith' only a christian thing?

do pagans, judaists, muslims or anyone else just never loose their faith?

so people turn out to be gay, so what? is it a great sin? basically who cares?

seriously, really who gives a crap if any character turns out to be gay?

and then you start saying that all writers aside from Stan Lee just hate christians which is just complete crap as still over 70% of characters that have open religions are christians or have christian tendancies.

look at the holidays in comics, how often do you see a summer or winter solstace, or hannukah or any other religion's holidays?

we see christmas and easter every year and then sod all about anyone else's holidays...

but then again, talking about peoples religions and religous freedom is always a bad idea and every time we have had a discussion like this on here the Fit hits the Shan... so i'll be taking an active interest in this thread...

M
#11 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
caption

I'm sure the guy who made him hated Christians too.
#12 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

wings on his back and his ankles?  overkill

#13 Posted by The_Superior_Sapien (1213 posts) - - Show Bio
Apparition said:
"wings on his back and his ankles?  overkill"
Don't forget his hair has wings to :P crazy Christians and there winged hair.
#14 Posted by the human Juggernaut (7224 posts) - - Show Bio

well i think Garth Ennis has made his opinions on christians pretty clear.

#15 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure bad things happen to every comic book character ever created, not just the Christians, otherwise comics would be boring.

Anyway, why does bad things happen to people in the Bible? God has been testing the faith of His followers for thousands of years, this isn't new territory.

I wonder why you find these small problems troubling when you have the Purifiers out there killing men women and children in the name of a Christian God. If there was anyone to be up in arms over it's them.

#16 Posted by The_Superior_Sapien (1213 posts) - - Show Bio
Slinger said:
"I'm pretty sure bad things happen to every comic book character ever created, not just the Christians, otherwise comics would be boring.

Anyway, why does bad things happen to people in the Bible? God has been testing the faith of His followers for thousands of years, this isn't new territory.

I wonder why you find these small problems troubling when you have the Purifiers out there killing men women and children in the name of a Christian God. If there was anyone to be up in arms over it's them.
"
Nice post
#17 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio
Florian Kincaid LeBeau said:
"Apparition said:
"wings on his back and his ankles?  overkill"
Don't forget his hair has wings to :P crazy Christians and there winged hair.
"

lol i didnt even notice that.  how ridiculous!
#18 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, Look! It's another point that proves Whirly wrong....

caption

Theres tons of christian characters and Writers.
Stan lee is not the only one who tends to there interest.
#19 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

it's good to be Nihilist

#20 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do bad things happen to Christian characters?

Because of that graven image they cling to,  of course! I'm sure Dreadnaught would agree...

#21 Posted by Virago (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they're the majority; it's easy to throw proverbial rocks at the bigger religions, rather than deal with potential law suits of writing story lines where Jews are persecuted, or Buddhists, or whomever. It's less about the Christians themselves, but more about going against streamline thoughts and practices. Which kind of sucks for non-crazy Christians who get stuck with the repercussions of this assumption. 

#22 Posted by The_Superior_Sapien (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto's Jewish. They killed off his wife and burned his kid alive. Gambit's Creole and his brother and wife where murdered. Judomaster was a Buddhist who got curpstomped to death by Superboy Prime. I could go on an on about Non Christian characters  having loads of hardships piled on them. I still say its laughable to think Christain are being unfairly persecuted in comics.

#23 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard for Christianity to really have any leeway in the Marvel world, when Thor's flying around outside.

#24 Posted by The_Superior_Sapien (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL nice :P

#25 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, really. The Pagan gods are real over there. So, like, the whole "turn or burn" aspect from most Ministers is moot.

#26 Posted by fesak (7053 posts) - - Show Bio

If i were a marvel character i would absolutely worship Thor.

#27 Posted by Hagane Enna (7450 posts) - - Show Bio
whirlwind6 said:
Throwing in my two strips of gold pressed latinum with the others: things happen to Christian characters for the same reason they happen to every other character.  If it seems more noticeable, it may be because you are particularly sensitive to the issue and maybe simply because there's a ;arge percentage of Christian-leaning sort characters out there. 

fesak said:
"If i were a marvel character i would absolutely worship Thor.

"

Me, too, Fesak. :-D
#28 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"If i were a marvel character i would absolutely worship Thor.

"
AGREED!
#29 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Christianity is kinda moot when God's weaker than thor now isn't it?

#30 Posted by box turtle (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Apparition said:
"whirlwind6 said:
its just you "

No its not.  Have you read the incredibly offensive stuff and the anti-religious way they killed off Icarus in that horrible New X-Men series.
#31 Posted by box turtle (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dreadnaught said:
"Christianity is kinda moot when God's weaker than thor now isn't it? "

Thor can't create anything.  All he shares with God is a name.
#32 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see it.  Bad things happen to characters, full stop.  If a character exists in comics, then something bad will happen to them.  Religion has little to do with why a character has to suffer.

#33 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio
@Virago said:
"Because they're the majority; it's easy to throw proverbial rocks at the bigger religions, rather than deal with potential law suits of writing story lines where Jews are persecuted, or Buddhists, or whomever. It's less about the Christians themselves, but more about going against streamline thoughts and practices. Which kind of sucks for non-crazy Christians who get stuck with the repercussions of this assumption.  "

dont think couold agree with that more or state that better .well idd mispell things more an not use caps  corectly .but thats dead on.
#34 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio

Since when is being gay a bad thing?

#35 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

You would only notice it if your religious leanings made you more sensitive to bad things happening to people of your own faith. You could argue why do bad things happen to almost all creeds and races in comics.

#36 Posted by senorwillis (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Im just go out on a limb here and say 
the question isnt why is bad things happening to christian characters? 
but why isnt more bad things happening to christian characters?

#37 Posted by Leliel (1452 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: And because we worship him, he get a nice little power boost. Because you guys remember that been worship give you power and if you stop having worshipers you slowly decade into a demon.

If I was the writing I particularly have character have a crisis of faith in the Christian side if he/she was revive and then slowly seek out other pagan religions. I mean been back from the dead as to affect you in some way does it not?
#38 Posted by Argantyr (245 posts) - - Show Bio
@box turtle:
But Odin can can create things :D
#39 Posted by Kairan1979 (16746 posts) - - Show Bio

If we start talking about the theme of religion in comics, I wonder why nobody mentioned Spawn yet. That comic book series makes it clear that Heaven is just as bad as Hell, and both sides are doing unspeakable acts to win the war.

#40 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF? Being gay isn't bad.

#41 Posted by infonation (1665 posts) - - Show Bio

@whirlwind6: I think you might have nothing to worry about, EVERYONE considers the option of losing their faith after a traumatic event happens to them, heroes are no acception, if I were GOD, I'd be more disturbed by people who DON'T lose their faith after something bad happens to them! It usually means they're too crazy to question things falling apart around them! Nightcrawler and Devil-Slayer just suffered shock is all, it happens to the best of us! Just because the lost their faith for awhile doesn't mean they'll never choose to get it back later. Gargoyle I'm not so sure about, Living Lightening being gay should have nothing to do with his faith, Sin-Eater I'm also unaware of, and Foolkiller isn't insane because he's christian, he's insane because he thinks fools need to die! So I ca't help you here, but I can say while it does make you wonder, it could turn out to be nothing!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.