Night of The Owls Frustration (some spoilers)

#1 Posted by mordecaix7 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I had finished reading Batman #8 and Nightwing #8 and was very excited to start Detective Comics #9. I was horribly confused as to what was going on. We left off with Batman fighting the Court in his own home. Then all of a sudden he's at arkham? Huh? What happened? I read some user reviews for DC9, since I was sure someone else would have a better idea of what's going on than me. According to other Comic Vine users, DC9 takes place after Batman #9... What? Why? Detective Comics comes out first before Batman 9 so why would the story take place after B9? I think this really highlights the fact that there is too many main Batman books.

They had no idea what to do with Detective Comics so they wrote in the future basically spoiling Batman 9. I mean we all know Batman will find a way to make things work out but we don't want to know that for sure before we read the issue!

I'm new to comics (got into it when New 52 happened) so this is my first crossover. Does this happen all the time with crossovers? Or is this one just poorly planned due to there being way too many books for one single character?

#2 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

This sort of thing confuses me alot, shouldn't damian be fighting with batman against the court this stuff happens too often.

considering night of the owls is only one night, shouldn't detective focus on another character like dark knight and batman and robin have?

#3 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

@mordecaix7 said:

I had finished reading Batman #8 and Nightwing #8 and was very excited to start Detective Comics #9. I was horribly confused as to what was going on. We left off with Batman fighting the Court in his own home. Then all of a sudden he's at arkham? Huh? What happened? I read some user reviews for DC9, since I was sure someone else would have a better idea of what's going on than me. According to other Comic Vine users, DC9 takes place after Batman #9... What? Why? Detective Comics comes out first before Batman 9 so why would the story take place after B9? I think this really highlights the fact that there is too many main Batman books.

They had no idea what to do with Detective Comics so they wrote in the future basically spoiling Batman 9. I mean we all know Batman will find a way to make things work out but we don't want to know that for sure before we read the issue!

I'm new to comics (got into it when New 52 happened) so this is my first crossover. Does this happen all the time with crossovers? Or is this one just poorly planned due to there being way too many books for one single character?

Honestly, a lot of the problems addressed were most likely a complication of Tec joining the crossover planning slightly later... they moved up the Batman issue so that there would not be similar complications with a majority of the Bat books, but Tec being a Week 1 book probably threw everybody for a loop... it does actually tend to happen with many crossovers, (there was a major spoiler in the series Countdown that basically revealed key plot points to the Sinestro Corps almost a month in advance, or in AVX crossovers wherein several characters are apparently at 3 different locations at the same time). Hopefully it didn't give away anything too essential that would ruin the overall reading experience for you... we do know that he manages to escape the cave and heads to Arkham to... save Arkham, but it didn't give us too much more than that. Everything else SHOULD run smoothly, in terms of how the plot progresses through the rest of the books...

#4 Posted by mordecaix7 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheOptimist: Thanks for the help in understanding. It does make me want to wait on reading these books until after I've gotten most of the tie-in issues that I've wanted to purchase.

#5 Posted by wessaari (622 posts) - - Show Bio

I am so sorry that u read Detective Comics 9. it was pretty bad, spoiled Batman 9 and was a lousy issue put together. The rest of the crossover, as far as ive been reading i havent read Catwoman, B.O.P, or Dark Knight, but ive read the other titles and am liking it to a great extent.

#6 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Your problem began the moment you paid for a Detective Comics issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.