inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Batman goes on the hunt to find out who Anarky is and who gave Anarky the info they needed to hack Gotham's databases. He comes across one deadend after another. Also,it's the return of Matches Malone!

Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato reintroduce Anarky to the DCU is stunning fashion. The punk-rock style and way Anarky goes about things is a cool take on the character as he walks the line between hero and villain. Well, of course he's the bad guy, but the reader can understand and even empathize with him (or her?). Anarky wants to create a better tomorrow for all Gothamites and give those who want it a fresh start without each person's history weighing them down. The thing is, you can't really do that... I'm really digging the direction Buccellato and Manapul are taking this arc and this character. Easily, this is the first time I've really enjoyed this character.

As I've said before and I'll probably say again, what I really love about DETECTIVE COMICS is that it is a book that focuses more on the detective aspect of Batman. We're not stuck inside of Batman's head here. In total, there's two instances of inner-dialogue, but aside from that, it feels like we're there with Batman, discovering what he discovers as the issue moves forward. In addition, the book moves around Gotham and not just around Batman. We get to see some more Harvey Bullock here as he crashes the set of "Wake Up Gotham." We hear the voices and opinions of other people in this city and not just the main players of the book, which is a very cool addition to the series and makes the city feel more real and vibrant.

This issue leaves the reader at a place where how people view Batman is going to change. Without spoiling anything, the final page will lead to some interesting developments in future issues of the series and with what happens, it's going to be a bit of a perspective flip for some Gothamites coming soon and I'm excited to see how all of this plays out.

Finally, it's hard not to talk about this book without talking about how the art from Francis Manapul and Buccellato is undeniably beautiful. Manapul's page layouts and panel positioning is brilliant. He mixes things up and takes a step back from traditional page layouts to keep the book fresh and interesting, but it doesn't get to the point where it becomes too conceptual and hard to follow. Not every page is like this, but the ones that are bring a bit of excitement to the scene, even before the reader knows what's going on. This is some of the best looking art at DC right now.

The Bad

This is a Batman book that encompasses a bit more of the people of Gotham rather than just Batman. Some folks may not like that, but it's something I find a bit more endearing about the book.

The Verdict

DETECTIVE COMICS continues to roll on as an exciting series that Buccellato and Manapul have really elevated to all-star status. This book is smart, fun, and features stories that really put the characters in it to the test. Also, the art is simply phenomenal. This new story, featuring Anarky, is changing a lot of the folks in Gotham and I cannot wait to see what it in store next in DETECTIVE COMICS.

ComicsRHealthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have been very much enjoying Brian and Francis' run and can't wait to see more from them in 2015. I haven't caught up with the Anarky storyline yet,but the reviews given on this site has me very excited to.Thanks Mat,good review :p

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dotwilson

i keep saying it and ill say it again... Manapul and Booch = best creative team

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By staypuffed

I have been very much enjoying Brian and Francis' run and can't wait to see more from them in 2015. I haven't caught up with the Anarky storyline yet,but the reviews given on this site has me very excited to.Thanks Mat,good review :p

Same.

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's so pretty.

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

bootyful

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By senglord

My only question is this:

Was their Flash run better than this?

This is great btw.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Nice

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NightFang3

I miss the days when Anarky was Tim Drake enemy.

jaylstoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord: I loved there Flash run. Very entertaining and as with the Det. books the art is amazing.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't like him leaving the mask presents. Too similar to V IMO. I also don't like how there are multiple Anarkys. The writer said something about that in an interview.

Besides those things I'm loving this story arc so far.

bobgillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bobgillinger

Am I reading too much into it or was that last scene a reference to some of the recent police violence and how easy it was for the witnesses to make mistakes.

cfreetherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobgillinger: definitely what they are doing. It's great that the writers are dealing with current event topics while staying true to the character.

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Re read the Icarus arc. There are Anarky symbols all throughout it. Found myself refreshing myself with who Jeb was and started to notice then. Also the second time this councilman has been brought up. I like where their run is heading.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.