gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato are continuing their murder mystery in Gotham City. Within just a few issues, they’ve immediately grabbed the reigns of this series and are taking Batman on a wild case. With “detective” being in the title, it’s great to see a focus on the actually detecting that goes on during a murder investigation. Not only do we get to see Batman do his fair share of investigating, we also see what Harvey Bullockis capable of. Harvey is a character that has long been underused, especially in the New 52. Having him step forward into the spotlight a bit has been a blast.

Speaking of Harvey, while we do get to see him in action, we also discover a little something about his personal life. I don’t know if it’s something that’s been mentioned before and I just overlooked or forgot it but it’s a nice and interesting addition to Harvey’s character.

The art and colors go hand in hand with the story. Manapul and Buccellato take us in different directions and to different locations as the story unfolds. We still don’t have the answers everyone is looking for but that’s the fun of this ride, watching little clues get dropped and waiting to find out who is responsible. Whether Batman is having a simple conversation or in a crazy fight against a giant squid, everything looks gorgeous. The issue ends with a great cliffhanger that makes you look forward to what will happen next month.

The Bad

Maybe it’s just another part of the mystery but I can’t quite get a firm take on Annette Aguila. She may have lost her mom and is in a bad place but I feel we haven’t had a chance to really get to know her since tragedy struck so quickly. I don’t know what to make of her and what her role in this story will be. I don't feel a real connection with her so far.

The Verdict

If you’re looking for some detective action, DETECTIVE COMICS is now living up to its name. Batman is the World’s Greatest Detective so it makes perfect sense for Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato to place an emphasis on this. Seeing Batman and Harvey Bullock, separately, investigate a murder is intriguing. We’re seeing more pieces of the puzzle revealed but there’s still plenty of mystery to unravel. Manapul and Buccellato’s art and colors continue to amaze. Not only is this a great story but it’s accompanied by gorgeous artwork. If you’re not reading DETECTIVE COMICS, you need to fix that now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

How long is this story? 5 issues?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

It is insane how much of a turn around a fresh creative team can make. That horrible "Gothopia" arc made me drop Detective Comics, but I read the first issue of this run, and BOOM, back on my pull list. I've been loving this, best run since New 52 started!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It is insane how much of a turn around a fresh creative team can make. That horrible "Gothopia" arc made me drop Detective Comics, but I read the first issue of this run, and BOOM, back on my pull list. I've been loving this, best run since New 52 started!

Yeah, this story has been balling.

How long is this story? 5 issues?

5 issues I believe.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man

Thanks now I finally know her name just seems to be a very forgettable character when Gotham is packed with so many great ones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Francis manapul is my favorite artist I drop the flash series once he left. Probably pick this

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@timelord: Her page has her listed as Annie. I loved her intro on the dirt bike but we'll see what's next for her.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Sweet man, I'll think you'll like it. The story has been great IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Hope so, everyone told me the story for Flash was lacking but the art made up for it. Which usually means it isn't for me because I prefer writing over art. Which is also why I didn't pick this story up from the get go.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: The story has really delivered here IMO. It's really been digging deep into Batman's detective roots, fun to see that side of him extensively played with for crime styled stories like the one that is going down right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By timelord

@g_man said:

@timelord: Her page has her listed as Annie. I loved her intro on the dirt bike but we'll see what's next for her.

Yup it's hard keeping up with Eternal there is what 5 potential Robins at this piont December can not get here soon enough.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It the next issues continue to be as good as the previous issues then I agree with you.

@g_man I think you meant Harvey Bullock.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm normally not a big Batman fan, but this seem like a good story, and the fact that Manapul is the artist means I know I'm getting my money's worth.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

No animal is safe

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bad part isn't really a bad, I like what they're doing with Annie, slowly building her character, I don't want them to rush it.

@wolverine08: Hope so, everyone told me the story for Flash was lacking but the art made up for it. Which usually means it isn't for me because I prefer writing over art. Which is also why I didn't pick this story up from the get go.

The story for Flash was above average IMO, not bad but not that great either. But this one is great so far.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

After seeing the dock scenes, I really, really, really, really, really wana this creative team to do an Aquaman issue.

That art is so f*cking sexy.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great story but didn't Layman and Fabok do some detective work also, and even Daniel at the beginning of the New 52? Every review I read on this site makes it seem like Bats hasn't used his detective skills in well over 300 years and that's just not the case.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the best bat book out

Brione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art in this comic is some of the best I've ever seen and that cover is one of my new favorites. The story has been really good so far too. Manapul and Buccellato are killing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c
    deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I missed something but at some point I just assumed the daughter was not and the mother was alive.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RustyRoy

This is the best bat book out

Hard to disagree, 3 issues out and its already my favorite comic book.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Francis Manapul is the freaking man!!!

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book is gorgeous. I found myself staring at pages throughout and just taking in the stunning artwork. I don't do that too often when I read comics so I knew this was special. Bravo to Manapul and Buccellato, fantastic stuff here.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@saren said:

No animal is safe

More horse punching?

Dammit bats, not again.

Nah,this time it was a cuttlefish.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@theacidskull said:

@saren said:

No animal is safe

More horse punching?

Dammit bats, not again.

Well, bats has officially lost it, again.

He's just doing his job,protecting Gotham.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Probably a minority, but I really don't like Manapul's artwork. It's looks too "anime" for me. I prefer more "realistic" and detailed art. But what do I know? I also don't like Andrea Sorrentino's art (everything looks like a sketch, overuse of light and shadows) and think Nicola Scott blows her away. Guess it's just a stylistic thing.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@theacidskull said:

@saren said:

No animal is safe

More horse punching?

Dammit bats, not again.

Don't forget the lions.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@theacidskull said:

@saren said:

No animal is safe

More horse punching?

Dammit bats, not again.

Don't forget the lions.

As saren said: "No animal is safe".

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was waiting the entire issue for something big to happen, and then it just ended. Now batman did fight a giant squid but that didn't progress the story at all and wasn't as exciting as some actual progression would've been. But this is just setting up for the last few issues of this story, and the art was even better than the last two issues so its all good.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I've only read the first trade of Flash but the story was definitely very fun and a breath of fresh air. I'd suggest it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.