Follow

Demon Knights

Team » Demon Knights appears in 37 issues.

Group of medieval heroes in the Dark Ages.

Demon Knights discussion

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Adnan

I've seen a lot of positive buzz about this title, yet little discussion on CV. Did everyone else who bought enjoy it as much as I did? Was anyone else a little confused by what was happening in the prologue? (It was for me, though I found the rest of the chapter was easy to follow and fun to read)

Also, since this is being written by Paul Cornell...predict when it will be prematurely cancelled :[

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Loki9876

Iwill buy the tpb. I always buy tpb's

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By TheOptimist

This thing was awesome. It was nearly my favorite of the week. It flew off our LCS shelves. At this point, all signs I've read have been pretty darned positive for this one. I think that it could last past expectations actually... at least if my assumption that the expectation is less than a year. If the series makes it to 16 issues (which, as you note, would be Paul's record) it will be a longterm success in my book. With this start, I could see it rolling on well past that point.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Adnan

@Loki9876:Any support is good support. Heck, I'm trade-waiting Resurrection Man as well.

@TheOptimist: I hope your right, If the quality, positive reaction, and most importantly sales, manage to stay constant, I don't see why it shouldn't last more than 16 issues.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Adnan said:

@Loki9876:Any support is good support. Heck, I'm trade-waiting Resurrection Man as well.

@TheOptimist: I hope your right, If the quality, positive reaction, and most importantly sales, manage to stay constant, I don't see why it shouldn't last more than 16 issues.

Buying it in tpb wont stop it from getting cancelled, only the issues will count to that.
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adnan

@spiderbat87: It depends on how well the TPBs sell, but yeah, aside from those 'short bursts of sales', they don't help that much in regards to cancellation. On a student budget, I can only afford one title a week atm, so I think it's the most (well, the only) thing I can do for now.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Loki9876

i never knew much about etrigan but he seems intresting enough to give him a try

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adnan

@Loki9876:I knew nothing about him either, and I can assure you don't need to know anything about him to read this.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Loki9876

@Adnan: that's awesome

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I thought it was pretty good but one thing that annoyed me was that Xandu was "cheating" on Jason with the Demon, not sure why but I just didnt like it.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@Adnan said:

I've seen a lot of positive buzz about this title, yet little discussion on CV. Did everyone else who bought enjoy it as much as I did? Was anyone else a little confused by what was happening in the prologue? (It was for me, though I found the rest of the chapter was easy to follow and fun to read)

Also, since this is being written by Paul Cornell...predict when it will be prematurely cancelled :[

I gave it a 5 out of 5 yesterday. I loved it!

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Adnan

@spiderbat87:I thought it was kinda funny. On a related note, the Xanadu shown in DK seems pretty different to how she was before (though I've barely read anything about her in the past)

@inferiorego: I read your review (and commented on it) yesterday, agreed with all of it (even with the comment regarding lack of a fight scene being a smidge disappointing)

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kermoosh

@Adnan: i was a little confused with the prologue as well, but the rest of the issue was great.

have you picked up the second issue? it gets way better with great action and awesome writing for vandal savage

i'm new to comics with the new 52 and this is by far my favorite series so far. hoping this doesn't die

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Kairan1979

I don't understand why Vandal Savage looks like Wolfstaag.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Adnan

@kermoosh:Yep, I picked up #2. Vandal was definitely the star of this chapter - he's pretty much an extremely violent Hagrid lol.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kermoosh

@Kairan1979 said:

I don't understand why Vandal Savage looks like Wolfstaag.

its a different look, but i think its a great change, better than the vandal i'm used to (the modern one)

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Adnan

Sort of a necro bump, was wondering if anyone still reads this series (it's dropped quite a bit in the Top 100s within the last few months) What are your thoughts on the first story arc, which has just ended?

I also wanted to share a couple theories I've seen elsewhere. They're both completely speculative, but interesting nonetheless. I'll spoiler them just incase, I suppose.

Okay, first one: Al Jabr = Ra'as al Ghul? Ra'as' origin matches up, somewhat - 700 years ago he was fascinated with science, but his nomadic tribe prevented him from studying it. Al Jabr is heading to Alba Sarum in the pursuit of knowledge...so what if Al Jabr is pre-Lazarus Pit Ra'as? I think Demon Knights takes place in the 1200s, I'm not sure what year Ra'as origin was established, but considering how rarely it's even mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets tinkered with a little with the reboot. Now, if you don't know Ra'as origin story already, I suggest you check his wiki page, there's more to it than what I said - if he is pre-Lazarus Ra'as, how much of his original origin stays intact, if not all of it? 'cos it sounds like it has great story potential.

Second one I came across: One of the Demon Knights is a Century Baby. I think it was mentioned in Stormwatch that every incarnation of the team is usually led by a Century Baby (Jenny Quantum currently being too young to lead Stormwatch) Since Demon Knights is supposedly the first incarnation of Stormwatch, this theory seems reasonable enough (imo). It'll probably be one of the new characters, making Etrigan/Jason, Xanadu, Ystin, or Vandal a Century Baby might be deemed too big of a change for them in the eyes of the fans. So either Al Jabr (assuming he's not Ra'as), Exoristos, or Horsewoman. Exoristos has been shown using some pretty strange powers that have yet to be explained, and according to the cv page on Century Babies, they're all metahumans...though, I'm unfamiliar with the concept myself. Could anyone shed some light on them as a concept for me?

Just to get more people interested in the series (and perhaps pick up the trade that collects the first 7 issues, which is supposed to be coming out soon), Batman fans may find the first theory interesting ;)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Adnan: Hm I'm not sure about thory #1 but #2 sound's good

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Adnan

@spiderbat87:Yeah, the 2nd one has the Stormwatch reference, so it's not as 'out there' as the 1st theory.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

still really loving this series 

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By TheOptimist

As am I... it was one of the most pleasing of the 52 series that were introduced back in September and it remains as such in my book... the Merlin arc coming up could be particularly cool... I'm glad the series has lasted as long as it has... at this point I wouldn't mark it at all as being in danger... certainly going to make it to that 16 mark, yay. So no premature cancellation at this point, in my book.

I like the Al Jabr theory, but would prefer that the other mentioned character pop up independently...

I think this theory has thrived on the distinction of the characters... iconic and archetypal while simultaneously defined and unique... I'm particularly still digging the Vandal Savage angle, and I love the Etrigan/Xanadu dynamic. This series provides a lot of solid action each issue, while still dangling teases of mystery and intrigue around every corner... my favorite of the newbies is probably Horsewoman, I really like the concept behind her... although Exoristos has grown on me, and Al Jabr is developing nicely.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#22  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I have no idea how this can be so good (and really feels like it will only get better with time) and stormwatch was such rubbish.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Mercy_

Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this book.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Since we saw the aged version of Al Jabr, I doubt he is Century Baby.

I hope they are going to find the interesting character to replace him (while keeping Al Jabr as advisor).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.