shawn87's Demon Knights #1 - Seven Against the Dark review

• shawn87 wrote this review on .
  • shawn87 has written a total of 597 reviews. The last one was for

Medieval Magic

The Story:

Set in medieval times, a group of seven heroes must come together to stop a barbarian horde.

My Thoughts:

I don't know why I didn't look into this series last month when it debuted. This series is awesome. With medieval times, magic and dark sorcery how could it not be awesome? While I haven't heard of some of these characters, Paul Cornell does a great job introducing newer readers to them in such a phenomenal and accessible way. Each character is intriguing and has their own voice and personality. They appear to be well defined characters I can't wait to get to know better.

Etrigan seems to be the main character as he's centered on the cover. I thought it was cool how Cornell merged Jason and Etrigan together. From the first time Jason released the demon I knew I was going to love this character. Sir Ystin (Shining Knight) is another character that caught my eye. She was first introduced in Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers (which I still have to read). The other characters are equally interesting. I'm really digging the premise and can tell Cornell will shine in this series which seems much more interesting than his Stormwatch. How can it not be great when the issue ends with an angry group of dragons smashing through the inn?

Diogenes Neves handles the art which can be summed up in one word; breathtaking. This man is an extraordinary artist who applies such an ample amount of detail within his panels. He does a great job capturing the time period as well. The colors by Mareclo Maiolo are gorgeous. Tony Daniel's cover is outstanding. I can't wait to see more from the art team.

This series is like a diamond in the rough. It's possibly my new favorite series out of the new 52. I highly recommend giving this series a chance. You won't be disappointed especially if you're into medieval times.

Rating: 5/5