battlepig's Demon Knights #1 - Seven Against the Dark review

• battlepig wrote this review on .
  • battlepig has written a total of 61 reviews. The last one was for Midnight

Meh-mon Knights

Etrigan and Xanadu and some others face off against invading hordes of invaders.

The Good:

• Fun: The book is funny. It has some legitimately hilarious stuff in it. Vandal Savage going "My cod says that that's no lady!" is very clever while being silly at the same time.
  • Language I: The speech mostly reads as if it's something that's not happening in this day. Sure, I can't tell whether or not people actually talked like this back in the day, but the speech puts enough distance between today's language and whatever language they're talking.
  • Author: Paul Cornell has a very fun way of telling a story. Even though I'm not a fan of medieval stories and sword and dragon stories, this was not a chore to read.
  • Cover: Look at it. That's one really, really awesome cover.

The Bad:

• Characterization: I can see where Cornell is trying to go with this, but it really feels like the introduction of the characters is getting neglected in favour of diving right into a story. The problem here is that - even if we know the characters' names - we have no idea who these people are. And suddenly, we have these familiar characters in a very unfamiliar setting as well as them being essentially strangers. We need introduction. We need to meet these characters.
  • Language II: "Sod this"? Did they really speak like that back then. Xanadu's language in general feels rather out of place.
  • Sword and Sorcery: It's just not my cuppa tea. The genre of mighty knights slaying evil dragon and people prancing around the woods in search of a new magical trinket... I have never been able to get into it. Except Disney's Robin Hood. Because Disney's Robin Hood is awesome... and has nothing to do with this review.
  • Dark: This book is one of DC's new "Dark"-line, but it felt very un-dark. And the one moment that was supposed dark - the sacrifice of the baby - felt very out of place. Just sacrifice something. Doesn't need to be a baby, becase everything else would have done too. This was solely to establish the bad guys as the baddies. And it's a totally unworthy moment for the comic. The rest was actually quite a clever comic, but that moment put a bit of a dent in it.

The Verdict:

If you're into magical comics, go for it. You'll most certainly get a kick out of it. If you're a new reader, this is definitely something for you... if you're into the sword-and-sorcery stuff. Me, I'm not too fond of it. However, I' will give it another chance, because Paul Cornell rarely disappoints and this was acutally a rather good comic.