San Diego Comic Con 2009: Del Rey Comics & Zombies

Posted by gia (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey folks, gia from Anime Vice here! I hit up Del Rey Manga's panel at Comic-Con this year, and as usual, it was a big hit. But there was a bonus this year: Del Rey's newest imprint, Del Rey Comics! I kinda thought some of you might be interested.

One of the first announcements they made for the imprint was a graphic novel adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, the novel in which Seth Grahame-Smith rewrites Jane Austen's classic romance to include a zombie infestation. The graphic novel will be adapted by Tony Lee, who also does the Dr. Who comics, among other things.

A few other cool items:

• Another launch title is the adaptation of Stephen King's The Talisman, by Peter Straub. This will actually be released in monthly floppies a la traditional comics; when asked why, associate publisher Dallas Middaugh observes that the decline in comics sales is slower than people seem to think it is, and doing it monthly spreads out the cost of the book...which leads me to believe it's being treated as an experiment for now.
  • A comic based on Avatar: The Last Airbender, to be written by Dave Roman. The prequel art will be done by Nina Matsumoto, who just won an Eisner award for her Simpsons short story "Murder,He Wrote."
  • The Splendid Magic of Penny Arcade is the 11 1/2th anniversary book for the gaming webcomic, which we're told will contain new material, not a collection of strips.

And of course, there was a bunch of manga news, so if you're into that kinda thing you can read it over at Vice!
#1 Edited by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

That is quite interesting, I love when there is a bit of a twist like the "Zombified" Pride and Prejudice.  It will be probably the only way to get guys to read that trite as it is (no offense to the lasses).
I LOVE that cover!!!! 
Pretty great to see a major book publisher like Del Rey throw in the mix and handling big guns like Stephen King's work.  On a side note, I've never heard the term "monthly floppy" before but I wonder if I'm the only one out of the mix in that regard.  Thanks for sharing.

#2 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3559 posts) - - Show Bio

I love DelRay. They publish a lot of my favorite mangas and to very little editing. They don't alter the art and keep in the Japanese honorifics.

#3 Posted by Th3 FlAsH 123 (616 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, interesting. When I saw Pride and Prejudice and Zombies i loled!!
Although that picture is freaky..

#4 Posted by danhimself (22628 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book but haven't read it yet....I don't know about the original but it's just hard to read...the dialect is so dated that it's hard to understand what they're talking about

#5 Posted by G-Man (36772 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever since I first heard about it, I've thought it was simply brilliant.  I can't wait to read it.

Staff

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.