Follow

Dejah Thoris

Character » Dejah Thoris appears in 326 issues.

Dejah Thoris is the Princess of Mars and the wife of John Carter, the Warlord of Mars.

Red People Red Shirts

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

I should remind everyone to begin with that while I do not consider myself a trekkie exactly, I do have a lot of exposure to Star Trek, having seen nearly every episode ever created. Exposure to the Star Trek universe gives a few insights into some of the inside jokes of the series (which was made fun of in Galaxy Quest.) Oen of these is the red shirt, the character that shows up, usually with very little dialogue and then ends up dying in short time. Over the series the creators realized what they were doing and toned it down a little on the Red Shirts, but even in the reboot of the Star Trek franchise a few years back, one goes to jump with Kirk and Sulu for their outer space freefall onto Vulcan, and promptly dies.

As I was reading the most recent issues of Dejah Thoris, it occurred to me that Dejah has her own version of a red shirt, that being pretty much every male character other than someone related to her. In this single issue, one was killed by giant wasps and another by a giant lizard (the Martian versions). The people of Helium are ready to sacrifice for their rulers, but outside of the fourth wall, it can be hard to watch these people volunteer for missions with Dejah, knowing that only she comes back alive.

No Caption Provided

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lifeboy

So true... maybe that is why so few females appear in Dejah Thoris. Because when people die in this, it is usually in a violent manner. Such as the giant worm that destroyed her expedition party to the North Pole of Mars.

What I laugh at is how many men fall in love with her and ask her for marriage.

First, yeah she's a beauty but so are all the other naked women on barsoom.

Second, men ask her this and she's just like, "no thanks." I can't help but generalize this sentiment to real life women. Lol

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

@lifeboy: That is true, the Red Shirt analogy for Dejah also applies to marriage proposals somehow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.