Follow

Defenders

Team » Defenders appears in 792 issues.

The Defenders are a super-group in the Marvel Universe usually led by Doctor Strange. The team that wasn't a team, often fights against supernatural and magic-based opponents. Protecting humanity from the impossible!

Defenders Discussion

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Malevolent1

In anticipation of the upcoming Defenders magazine, how does everyone feel about the new roster? Who should be on the current defenders roster and who should not?

Is anyone excited about Fraction writing the magazine or the opposite?

Should previous continuity of each character on the roster be consulted (and in the previous Defenders series) or should this be a fresh start?

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2  Edited By owie  Moderator

I like the old Defenders, and would pick this up if it wasn't for Fraction.

Although I am also annoyed with his new version of Surfer, and will probably not be getting any comics with new Surfer in it out of disgruntledness.

Plus I especially don't like the new Dr. Strange, which to quote Fraction from a publicity thing they did, "I've got a vision of Dr. Strange in my head I've wanted to get out for some time--looking at him as a more physical, more action-based, hands-on investigator of occult weirdness and conspiratorial oddity. Master of the mystic, and the martial, arts. Raincoat, suit, tie, and bad news." Basically I just don't like the overall depowering of Strange that's going on, plus they seem to be really reimagining who he is against the odds of all his continuity. If you want a magic martial arts guy, invent a new character. Strange knows some martial arts, but it's weird for him to focus on it.

(This should probably technically be in the Defenders forum.)

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Saren

@Owie said:

Although I am also annoyed with his new version of Surfer, and will probably not be getting any comics with new Surfer in it out of disgruntledness.

Plus I especially don't like the new Dr. Strange, which to quote Fraction from a publicity thing they did, "I've got a vision of Dr. Strange in my head I've wanted to get out for some time--looking at him as a more physical, more action-based, hands-on investigator of occult weirdness and conspiratorial oddity. Master of the mystic, and the martial, arts. Raincoat, suit, tie, and bad news." Basically I just don't like the overall depowering of Strange that's going on, plus they seem to be really reimagining who he is against the odds of all his continuity. If you want a magic martial arts guy, invent a new character. Strange knows some martial arts, but it's weird for him to focus on it.

Sounds a lot like John Constantine.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I dig the roster, hate the writer. Unfortunately, I'll give this a shot. Hopefully, it will surprise me but I don't have my hopes up.

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By moviegeek17

I'll probably end up picking it up for iron fist. He's one of my favorite characters in marvel's universe and fraciton and brubaker did a great job writing him in his own title

So worse case scenario even if the book sucks at least danny will be written right. lol

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6  Edited By owie  Moderator

@CitizenBane said:

@Owie said:

Sounds a lot like John Constantine.

Exactly.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ImperiousRix

@Owie:

I agree. My favorite Strange story is "The Oath" by Brian K. Vaughan, and though that showed that Strange had some hand to hand combat prowess, it focused not only on his immense magical knowledge and skill, but on his role as a DOCTOR (since ya know... he is one). Taking the character into a different direction is fine, just no in this direction. Obviously, Strange had become far too inconsistent in his portrayal for a long time. Some writers had him as a deus ex machina device that could solve anything with the wave of his hand, while others portrayed him as uber-weak. A more consistent interpretation is welcome; a revamping of his character is unnecessary.

Besides, I hate his new costume. That thing looks God awful, and this is a character who used to wear leopard-spotted gloves...

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @jloneblackheart said:

I dig the roster, hate the writer. Unfortunately, I'll give this a shot. Hopefully, it will surprise me but I don't have my hopes up.

Same here.
    Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hoboseid

I think Fraction should do ok with this book

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I love the New roster although like the old roster, it's basically just the Avengers reserves.

thanosrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By thanosrules

@jloneblackheart: What did you think about the first issue? I am looking forward to tomorrow's issue, we shall see how it goes. Also, what did you think of Surfer's appearance in The Mighty Thor #9 where he "feeds the birds"?

I have been wondering how the two story lines are related in continuity... it probably won't even be addressed, but who knows...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Mercy_

Pass.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By luckydomino1

betty ross is the only reason im getting this

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Daycrawler

I loved this book! Had low expectations coming into it and wasn't even gonna pick it up until the guy at my comic book store recommended it to me. So glad he did. It's a really cool, fun read with distinctive and interesting characters. To be fair, I'm coming to all these characters cold and don't know there back-stories so I can understand it why long-time fans of these characters may be pissed where changes / tweaks have been made. All I know is that I cannot wait to get my hands on issue two.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @thanosrules I really, really disliked it. It was like a bad 80s made for TV movie. I stopped reading Mighty Thor at #6. I was only reading for the Galactus story. Fraction simply disgusts me. I've been meaning to write a review for the first issue, but I don't want to pick it up again. I'm still trying to be objective and optimistic, but it's difficult.
    thanosrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By thanosrules

@jloneblackheart: I am beginning to agree more and more with your sentiments. I was very disappointed with the latest issue of Defenders. I just can't believe that Marvel is allowing such Surfer sacrileg!

Sigh.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@thanosrules: You know, I can get over what he did to the Surfer. You have to take the good with the bad. The problem is the bad writing. The first book really was written like a college dorm fan fic. We got two one night stands, excessive drinking and the Silver Surfer turning himself into snow. ?!?! I don't know what he is doing with Strange, but I'm not sure I like it. Plus it was cliche, let's get the band back together for a great threat nonsense with a poorly written Hulk. We got the young stud, the old stud, the wild girl, the bad boy and the hippie MAAAAANNNN! This ought to be a doozy! Uck.

Now in issue 2, they are all showing basically their dislike for one another. What keeps them together after this? Or does Fraction have carte blanche to all of Marvel's other characters to ruin just so he can tell a mediocre story?

I really want this to be good, but it won't be. I do like the art and colors though, so it makes it tolerable for now.

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Felicia set to become a Defender? Here's a tweet from Fraction:

Quote:

DEFENDERS art: lark #4: Strange. Breitweiser #5: namor. Víctor Íbanez #6: Danny. terry back @ 7: black cat, wakanda, & beyond

She's going to show up in #7.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I kind of like it

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By X35

@Death Certificate: I'd like to see Felicia become a Defender... a lot. I hope it comes to pass. :D

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @X35 said:

@Death Certificate: I'd like to see Felicia become a Defender... a lot. I hope it comes to pass. :D

If that happens I am calling it now there will be a thing between her and Iron Fist
    chroinkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By chroinkero

I had high hopes for the comic but after the two previous issues, I've already taken it off my pull list, even though its not the end of the story arc. I don't even understand why it isn't. I feel like this could have been really good considering the characters, but it's just not.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Darkmount1

@chroinkero: You probably jumped off in time--they're ending the series after issue 12. Which is bad for me, since it's the only modern Big Two comic I actually follow. Maybe I'll see if the new Hawkeye will last.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Malevolent1

Sheesh. Forgot I started this post.

So what about an all girl Fearless Defenders written by Cullen Bunn? I know absolutely nothing about this writer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.