Defenders Discussion

#1 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

In anticipation of the upcoming Defenders magazine, how does everyone feel about the new roster? Who should be on the current defenders roster and who should not?

Is anyone excited about Fraction writing the magazine or the opposite?

Should previous continuity of each character on the roster be consulted (and in the previous Defenders series) or should this be a fresh start?

#2 Posted by Owie (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the old Defenders, and would pick this up if it wasn't for Fraction.

Although I am also annoyed with his new version of Surfer, and will probably not be getting any comics with new Surfer in it out of disgruntledness.

Plus I especially don't like the new Dr. Strange, which to quote Fraction from a publicity thing they did, "I've got a vision of Dr. Strange in my head I've wanted to get out for some time--looking at him as a more physical, more action-based, hands-on investigator of occult weirdness and conspiratorial oddity. Master of the mystic, and the martial, arts. Raincoat, suit, tie, and bad news." Basically I just don't like the overall depowering of Strange that's going on, plus they seem to be really reimagining who he is against the odds of all his continuity. If you want a magic martial arts guy, invent a new character. Strange knows some martial arts, but it's weird for him to focus on it.

(This should probably technically be in the Defenders forum.)

#3 Posted by Saren (24410 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie said:

Although I am also annoyed with his new version of Surfer, and will probably not be getting any comics with new Surfer in it out of disgruntledness.

Plus I especially don't like the new Dr. Strange, which to quote Fraction from a publicity thing they did, "I've got a vision of Dr. Strange in my head I've wanted to get out for some time--looking at him as a more physical, more action-based, hands-on investigator of occult weirdness and conspiratorial oddity. Master of the mystic, and the martial, arts. Raincoat, suit, tie, and bad news." Basically I just don't like the overall depowering of Strange that's going on, plus they seem to be really reimagining who he is against the odds of all his continuity. If you want a magic martial arts guy, invent a new character. Strange knows some martial arts, but it's weird for him to focus on it.

Sounds a lot like John Constantine.

Moderator Online
#4 Posted by jloneblackheart (5474 posts) - - Show Bio

I dig the roster, hate the writer. Unfortunately, I'll give this a shot. Hopefully, it will surprise me but I don't have my hopes up.

#5 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll probably end up picking it up for iron fist. He's one of my favorite characters in marvel's universe and fraciton and brubaker did a great job writing him in his own title

So worse case scenario even if the book sucks at least danny will be written right. lol

#6 Posted by Owie (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@Owie said:

Sounds a lot like John Constantine.

Exactly.

#7 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie:

I agree. My favorite Strange story is "The Oath" by Brian K. Vaughan, and though that showed that Strange had some hand to hand combat prowess, it focused not only on his immense magical knowledge and skill, but on his role as a DOCTOR (since ya know... he is one). Taking the character into a different direction is fine, just no in this direction. Obviously, Strange had become far too inconsistent in his portrayal for a long time. Some writers had him as a deus ex machina device that could solve anything with the wave of his hand, while others portrayed him as uber-weak. A more consistent interpretation is welcome; a revamping of his character is unnecessary.

Besides, I hate his new costume. That thing looks God awful, and this is a character who used to wear leopard-spotted gloves...

#8 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart said:

I dig the roster, hate the writer. Unfortunately, I'll give this a shot. Hopefully, it will surprise me but I don't have my hopes up.

Same here.
#9 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Fraction should do ok with this book

#10 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the New roster although like the old roster, it's basically just the Avengers reserves.

#11 Posted by thanosrules (546 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: What did you think about the first issue? I am looking forward to tomorrow's issue, we shall see how it goes. Also, what did you think of Surfer's appearance in The Mighty Thor #9 where he "feeds the birds"?

I have been wondering how the two story lines are related in continuity... it probably won't even be addressed, but who knows...

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (92097 posts) - - Show Bio

Pass.

#13 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

betty ross is the only reason im getting this

#14 Posted by Daycrawler (550 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this book! Had low expectations coming into it and wasn't even gonna pick it up until the guy at my comic book store recommended it to me. So glad he did. It's a really cool, fun read with distinctive and interesting characters. To be fair, I'm coming to all these characters cold and don't know there back-stories so I can understand it why long-time fans of these characters may be pissed where changes / tweaks have been made. All I know is that I cannot wait to get my hands on issue two.

#15 Posted by jloneblackheart (5474 posts) - - Show Bio
@thanosrules I really, really disliked it. It was like a bad 80s made for TV movie. I stopped reading Mighty Thor at #6. I was only reading for the Galactus story. Fraction simply disgusts me. I've been meaning to write a review for the first issue, but I don't want to pick it up again. I'm still trying to be objective and optimistic, but it's difficult.
#16 Posted by thanosrules (546 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: I am beginning to agree more and more with your sentiments. I was very disappointed with the latest issue of Defenders. I just can't believe that Marvel is allowing such Surfer sacrileg!

Sigh.

#17 Posted by jloneblackheart (5474 posts) - - Show Bio

@thanosrules: You know, I can get over what he did to the Surfer. You have to take the good with the bad. The problem is the bad writing. The first book really was written like a college dorm fan fic. We got two one night stands, excessive drinking and the Silver Surfer turning himself into snow. ?!?! I don't know what he is doing with Strange, but I'm not sure I like it. Plus it was cliche, let's get the band back together for a great threat nonsense with a poorly written Hulk. We got the young stud, the old stud, the wild girl, the bad boy and the hippie MAAAAANNNN! This ought to be a doozy! Uck.

Now in issue 2, they are all showing basically their dislike for one another. What keeps them together after this? Or does Fraction have carte blanche to all of Marvel's other characters to ruin just so he can tell a mediocre story?

I really want this to be good, but it won't be. I do like the art and colors though, so it makes it tolerable for now.

#18 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Felicia set to become a Defender? Here's a tweet from Fraction:

Quote:

DEFENDERS art: lark #4: Strange. Breitweiser #5: namor. Víctor Íbanez #6: Danny. terry back @ 7: black cat, wakanda, & beyond

She's going to show up in #7.

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27656 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of like it

#20 Posted by X35 (5974 posts) - - Show Bio

@Death Certificate: I'd like to see Felicia become a Defender... a lot. I hope it comes to pass. :D

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27656 posts) - - Show Bio
@X35 said:

@Death Certificate: I'd like to see Felicia become a Defender... a lot. I hope it comes to pass. :D

If that happens I am calling it now there will be a thing between her and Iron Fist
#22 Posted by chroinkero (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I had high hopes for the comic but after the two previous issues, I've already taken it off my pull list, even though its not the end of the story arc. I don't even understand why it isn't. I feel like this could have been really good considering the characters, but it's just not.

#23 Posted by Darkmount1 (1261 posts) - - Show Bio

@chroinkero: You probably jumped off in time--they're ending the series after issue 12. Which is bad for me, since it's the only modern Big Two comic I actually follow. Maybe I'll see if the new Hawkeye will last.

#24 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

Sheesh. Forgot I started this post.

So what about an all girl Fearless Defenders written by Cullen Bunn? I know absolutely nothing about this writer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.