Follow

Deceased Characters

Concept » Deceased Characters appears in 277 issues.

This is a list of comic book/manga characters in general who are very much dead or uncertain but suspected of dying and how they died from all universes.

Death in comics.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Edited By Gylan Thomas

Just a quick one to express my annoyance over comic deaths.
    A favourite X-character of mine just bit the big one and now there's hints DD might be sleepin' under dirt soon? 
    Weak.
    The X-one is too popular and icon to stay dead. A real icon so we know he'll be back. Same applys to DD.
    I remember a time when a big story could happen with out temporarilly killing a character off. 
    Worst thing is killing a character off takes away story options rather than creating them. When Angel became Arcangel that created a whole pile of stories we would've missed out on if they'd choose to kill him instead.
    I don't wanna call the writers them selfs weak but the desicion to kill off a character who we can be 99% certain will be back is. 
    I mean really. How long was Kitty Pryde gone?

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
    Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I agree. Every now and then a show or a comic can do a resurrection story perfectly, where you don't see it coming, but looking back all the clues fit. Mostly though, They're predictable, poorly written and massively advertised (Ruining any element of surprise.)  

When you're doing them at a rate of about 4 a year it becomes even less like something I'd want to read.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Gylan Thomas

As part of a single story it's not so bad but comics are an ongoing thing. The X-stuff's been on the go for the fat part of forty years now for instance.
    When we know what's comin' the story loses interest.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By HellionVulcan

Captain America stayed dead for like 2 years but it was a way to sell comics but his death was done very well but yeah most main character's won't stay dead long ,so give it a year or two they'll be back with inconsistency .

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By moviegeek17

i dont mind characters dying if its done right, but some shouldn't come back if they die. that way we'll never really know if they come back or not, thats how they should do it

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Primmaster64

If they die just stay dead plz.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Primmaster64: 

I'm not sure I'd go that far.
    Comics are an ongoing thing after all. If a writer kills off a character and years on some one has a good and original way to use them I'd ok it but it's becoming way too frequent over the past several years.
    Avatar image for blackstormtorrent
    blackstormtorrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By blackstormtorrent

what i want to know when the die do they go to heaven or hell i dont think i heard any of the characters who have died say if there is a heaven or hell i know kinda random question

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @blackstormtorrent said:

" what i want to know when the die do they go to heaven or hell i dont think i heard any of the characters who have died say if there is a heaven or hell i know kinda random question "

The Fantastic Four took a trip to a possible heaven where Jack Kirby was "the one above all". Marvels god and other characters have gone to different types of hell to rescue friends before but I don't want to see that kind of thing too often.
    I don't like religion in my supercomics. That stuff comes down to a matter of personal faith and I don't want to have it pushed at me when I read a comic.
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I personally don't mind deaths in comics as long as the character stays dead or if they have to be brought back to life, it should be only one time and they should just keep the character alive for the rest of the comic's run.  Also, whenever they kill off a character and then suddenly bring them back without a clear explanation, it just makes the character's death pointless in a sense like for example, when X-Men member Colossus, died in the Legacy Virus arc by sacrificing his life to prevent the legacy Virus from killing all mutantkind, I thought that that death was done brilliantly and it made it one of the most heroic deaths in comic book history.  However, years later, they had to bring back Colossus back to life and the explanation for his resurrection was never made clear.  Now, don't me wrong, I love Colossus and I was actually kind of glad that they brought him back because I don't think I could read an X-Men comic without Colossus being in it, but it also pointed out that Colossus sort of died for nothing if they were just going to resurrect him again.
    Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Hazlenaut

Here is a good joke about the death of the X-Men characters

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By PowerHerc

Due to the constant cycle of death and resurrection, death in comics has become a trite, overused marketing gimmick used in an attempt to boost sales by shocking people with the death of characters so they'll buy the comic(s) it happens in. It's a poor substitute for good writing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.