Deathstroke 9 Review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

This might be the ninth issue for the Terminator, but this effort feels a whole lot like a first issue to a series. Although, this makes perfect sense seeing as Kyle Higgins has been replaced by Rob Liefeld, who is now taking up the task of both writing and illustrating the series.

The story is simple and moves along very quickly in this issue. Some wealthy individuals want Slade Wilson killed, meanwhile another organization wants to use Slade's talents to help take down an escaped extraterrestrial. You might know this cosmic powerhouse by the name of Lobo. Yeah, Deathstroke will definitely have his hands full seeing as Lobo is a violent dude sporting physicals similar to Superman. Said organization that wants his aid also has a familiar face for Wildstorm fans: Zealot.

Like I said, this feels a lot like a first issue. Just in case you never got the memo, Slade is one of the most feared mercenaries in the DC Universe for a reason, and Liefeld makes a point to let the reader know that almost right away. Slade remarks on his impressive reflexes, strength, and brilliant tactical mind as he throws down in an action sequence that begins right on the third page. We know Deathstroke is a badass, and it was clearly a goal to further solidify that fact with this issue. But let's be honest, every single issue with Slade Wilson should have a moment that makes us go "that's why he's called the Terminator!" Oh, and long time fans will be pleased to see the return of the power staff (with a new way to use it, too!).

Zealot is well known for her talents in hand-to-hand combat, so I really hope she'll provide Slade with a good fight sometime soon. Seeing him slaughter mountains of generic fodder is something almost anyone remotely talented can do in these comics and over time really isn't impressive in comparison to what the Terminator is capable of. Hopefully she'll give us all the chance to see just how skilled Slade truly is. And regarding Lobo, it'll definitely be interesting to see how Deathstroke plans to deal with him considering how Lobo has Slade terribly outclassed.

There were a few parts of the story that rubbed my the wrong way. Slade says it's taking Primus "everything he's got to hold me in check," but just one panel earlier says the alien is "not even trying." I suppose it could have been in regards to trying to read Slade's mind, but it seemed contradictory to me if it was about holding Deathstroke in place with his telekinesis. There's also a "heaven help us all" remark thrown in towards the end of the book. Perhaps it's just me, but that phrase seems incredibly dated and cheesy. He also calls the graveyard "sacred ground," yet seemed to have no problem planting explosives all over the site. Then again, he is prepared for every situation. I wouldn't be surprised if his shower had a bar of soap that turned into a firearm (wash carefully, Slade).

If you're part of the crowd that treats Liefeld as a punching bag, then odds are you're going to rant about every inconsistency possible. Personally, I prefer him a good deal over a handful of artists, though I'm not going to go ahead and list names. That said, the art certainly isn't perfect, so those who love to hate him should a field day ripping apart panels. I found many of the artistic inconsistencies to be incredibly minor. I can't say I care all that much if a red orb on Slade's armor isn't around in a panel or if there's slight proportional changes here and there. Oddly enough, the biggest gripe I have with the art is how the individuals run. The group that attacks Slade in the graveyard charges at him with their bodies bent forward close to a 90 degree angle. Doesn't seem all that comfortable if you ask me.

If Rob excels at one thing when it comes to art, it's making Slade look damn good and quite intimidating. Plus, you can't help but enjoy the absurdly violent way Lobo dispatches the security. I think "talk to the hand" has a whole new meaning with that second panel. Oh God, did I really just say that? I'm so sorry.

It's clear Liefeld's take on Deathstroke is going to be violent, fast paced and fun. I'm sure many will complain that it's too simplistic or makes them feel like they've taken a time machine to the '90s, but when you're reading a handful of titles every week, sometimes it's a nice change of pace to have a dose of popcorn entertainment thrown in there. If you're part of the crowd that dislikes Rob or have little to no interest in Deathstroke to begin with, this issue certainly won't be winning you over. Not a standout issue, but certainly not terrible either.

3/5

source: my blog

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

/runs away before everyone yells at me

Andromeda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Andromeda

I forgot you were a Liefeld Supporter

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Andromeda_: Just because I don't mind some of his work doesn't really make me a supporter, IMHO. I just try to keep an open mind with everyone. After all, I gave Loeb more than a few issues with Hulk after reading the likes of Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum.

Andromeda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Andromeda

@k4tzm4n: I was teasing ;) I am an unabashed Liefeld hater lol

<--DH

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Andromeda_: Christ, how many accounts do you have?!

Andromeda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Andromeda

@k4tzm4n: Mid-forties. I have a problem <_<

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Andromeda_: LOL! Did you read this issue? And more importantly, did you try to do so with an open mind? ;)

Andromeda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Andromeda

@k4tzm4n: I flipped through it in the shop because I promised myself a while back that I wasn't going to waste money buying Liefeld's work. And I am unashamed to admit that I couldn't make it past the first three or four pages. Art is paramount to me and his pains me.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Andromeda_ said:

@k4tzm4n: I flipped through it in the shop because I promised myself a while back that I wasn't going to waste money buying Liefeld's work. And I am unashamed to admit that I couldn't make it past the first three or four pages. Art is paramount to me and his pains me.

I lol'd.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    I honestly did not mind the issue. I initially expected much worse, and the complaints I have about artwork are mostly about minor issues, to the extent that is possible.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Morpheus_: Final score, sir?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @k4tzm4n: Between 2.5 and 2.5+ out of five. It doesn't hold up nearly as well in a reread.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: Please start posting these as blogs. Pwease.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Twentyfive

I apologize if I may sound a certain way here, but does Liefeld know how to draw feet? He probably does here and there, but I feel as if he has a phobia of drawing feet.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp said:

Mind if I ask why? And, your thoughts on the issue?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp said:

Yes, you may.

j/k. Because if you post these as a blog you can still attach them to the forum (like you're doing now, so you don't really lose anything) but on the other-hand it allows people who follow you to see the blogs in their "followed blogs" section. Basically it would mean I could actually read all of your blogs as opposed to reading the occasional one when it gets bumped to the top of the latest threads page. The only downside I see is that you'd be spammed with notification, which you can turn off, but I can see how it would be annoying.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ReVamp

And I didn't like the issue but it wasn't that bad. I'd rate it 2.5 out of 5, and round down to 2 if I was obligated to give it the closest star.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp said:

Yes, you may.

j/k. Because if you post these as a blog you can still attach them to the forum (like you're doing now, so you don't really lose anything) but on the other-hand it allows people who follow you to see the blogs in their "followed blogs" section. Basically it would mean I could actually read all of your blogs as opposed to reading the occasional one when it gets bumped to the top of the latest threads page. The only downside I see is that you'd be spammed with notification, which you can turn off, but I can see how it would be annoying.

Makes sense.

@ReVamp said:

And I didn't like the issue but it wasn't that bad. I'd rate it 2.5 out of 5, and round down to 2 if I was obligated to give it the closest star.

@Morpheus_ said:

@k4tzm4n: Between 2.5 and 2.5+ out of five. It doesn't hold up nearly as well in a reread.

Fair enough.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#20  Edited By TDK_1997

I actually liked the issue and if I reviewed it,I would give it a 3,5/5.I didn't mind the artwork that much and expected much worse from the stroy but I didn't have problems with it.

ILIKELOBO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By ILIKELOBO

So I was just curious, but you didnt mention Lobo much other than to say that the way he dispatched the guards was pretty cool (which it was). Lobo was the main reason I picked up this book so I was just curious if you were a fan of the character and what you thought of Leifeld's introduction of him back in to the DC universe? Im going to reserve my own opinion for now...

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@TDK_1997 said:

I actually liked the issue and if I reviewed it,I would give it a 3,5/5.I didn't mind the artwork that much and expected much worse from the stroy but I didn't have problems with it.

I think that's the highest score it would have received so far, lol. CBR gave it a 0/5.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ILIKELOBO said:

So I was just curious, but you didnt mention Lobo much other than to say that the way he dispatched the guards was pretty cool (which it was). Lobo was the main reason I picked up this book so I was just curious if you were a fan of the character and what you thought of Leifeld's introduction of him back in to the DC universe? Im going to reserve my own opinion for now...

I barely have any experience with the character, so I have no idea if the (very few) lines he had were in character or how his portrayal was in comparison to Pre-new 52. One thing is for sure, though... he's quite a powerhouse haha.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#24  Edited By TDK_1997

@k4tzm4n:At CBR are the biggest critics.The book was entertaining and that is the best part.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@TDK_1997: Yup, and gave it a 2. I think that's perfectly fair.

ILIKELOBO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By ILIKELOBO

@k4tzm4n:

Haha he is a powerhouse indeed. And usually a really fun character. Ive been a little concerned because Rob said in a podcast that he wanted to make Lobo a more serious character which really goes against his MO. I think Deathstroke is serious enough for the both of them. I was just curious because I felt that Lobo's dialogue was a little forced. Like he used his catchphrases because he was supposed to. But we will have to see where things go.

Thanks for the solid review btw. I wasnt a huge fan of this book for a couple of reasons (Lobo and the young Omegas both kind of put me off since Im a big fan of their earlier incarnations) but I still think its getting too much flak from Leifeld haters so it was nice to read a more unbiased review. I would give it a 2 myself. Maybe a 2.5. But my complaints are the ones above and no slam against Leifelds artwork or anything. I liked the first few pages a lot since I have never read a Deathstroke book before and the introduction to the character was well done. Succinct and to the point. And I like Lobo putting his fist through a security guards face so Rob gets a point for that one.

@k4tzm4n said:

@TDK_1997 said:

I think that's the highest score it would have received so far, lol. CBR gave it a 0/5.

Wow, I dont know if Ive ever seen a book get a 0 before haha.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ILIKELOBO: Thanks, man. I appreciate the kind words.

Heh, the very reasons you didn't like it (Lobo's personality, the Omegas) are the same points I was completely obvious on. I have no solid reading history with any of them, so I couldn't share my thoughts on how I thought they were handled. I wasn't sure if Rob was forcing those lines in or if Lobo legitimately used them that frequently. Thanks again for reading the review and sharing your honest thoughts.

Yeah, here's the CBR review. I can understand people not liking it, but what I can't understand are remarks saying it's down there with some of the worst issues ever.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=4737

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By Erik

@k4tzm4n:

I demand a reread!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Erik: I would, but I don't know how.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Erik

@k4tzm4n:

Linking to CBR? Just about the only place that gave the issue a worse score than me? I like it. That is a great opposing opinion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Erik: I'm fair like that.

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AskaniSon295

You Know how easy it would be to turn this issue into an Image Extreme Studios Comic where Bloodstrike hunts Bloodwulf.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I'm a Liefeld hater, but I came at this with an open mind. I mean, it's not like I BLINDLY hate him, there's certainly a REASON why I hate him.

Oddly enough I was expecting something more interesting than his usual crap from this, I mean Deathstroke vs. Lobo seemed exactly the kind of insane over-the-top nonsense he'd be good at, but I think he wrote both characters just atrociously. Lobo wasn't even recognizable as himself in dialogue. His art wasn't as god awful as usual actually. Still really bad yes, but just about tolerable for once. It was more his writing that lost me this time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.