Follow

Deathstroke

Character » Deathstroke appears in 1336 issues.

Genetically engineered to surpass all human limits, Slade Wilson was once a soldier but now works as one of the most feared assassins in the DC Universe. He has frequently clashed with the Teen Titans, Batman, Green Arrow, the Justice League, and even gods!

Why Deathstroke Deserves an Ongoing Series

• 68 results
    Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

F^(* Deathsroke.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it started that when I try to imagine a "good" Deathstroke title the only thing I can image is "Deadpool, but serious"?

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think slade is really a better character for his own movie than a comic book. you can do more with his loose morals in a pg 13 movie than a comic.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

i think slade is really a better character for his own movie than a comic book. you can do more with his loose morals in a pg 13 movie than a comic.

Closest thing I can think of thats been made are the Punisher movies, the problem is that Slade doesn't really have an appealing reason for him to be a merc/vigilante/assassin.

Unless you wind the clock wayyy back and retell his origins and his army days. Imagine him being Rambo in the jungle somewhere.

There can basically be a storyline about him going after anyone from DC and it'll be tangible. This is untapped potential, DC! C'mon!!

If you are thinking in the lines of Deadpool/Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe... that could be done, but only as a non-canon story. Problem is that if Deathstroke in his own book is hired to kill the Titans (again), he can't really follow it to the end because they are too big for DC to him to just off them, so either he's going to have to relent at the last second, be non-canon or be defeated because he ended up facing something he couldn't actually handle.

But then again, if was tasked to go after TT and ran into an unexpected, very public (selfie taken) and humiliating defeat (ruining his merc-cred), that could serve as the New-52 reason for the old rivalry.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By lifeofvibe
    fallbrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully he sticks around in Suicide Squad

I think he will. He's far too popular right now to disappear from any of the books.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: " Closest thing I can think of thats been made are the Punisher movies, the problem is that Slade doesn't really have an appealing reason for him to be a merc/vigilante/assassin."

i mean that he could be his same old mercenary self. most action movie heroes have loose morals now. 3 days to kill was a good movie and the main character was an assassin. a lot of movies feature black ops. slade will fit right in.

Avatar image for mastermercenary
    MasterMercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well basically,

1.He is the only villain with his own rogue gallery.. I mean how many villains have there own enemies in DC ( not restricted by one)

2.He can be - apart of a villain- an antihero, an antivillain , merecenary/assassin or a vigilante as the writer wants.

3.He is a well-known character which guarantees success.

4.He is bad@$$

hyperbertha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why he needs an ongoing at all. He's one of those characters best used as little as possible He doesn't have anything special as a character and making another ongoing about him will just make things worse. And I don't think he's popular enough to warrant an ongoing. They did try that and fail after all. Maybe a limited series.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By detective38

the 80s-90s ongoing was great since wolfman wrote a lot of it but that new 52 series sucked. as much as I like the character I think deathstroke works best when used like frank miller used punisher in his daredevil run, making badass cameos killing people and having the occasional throw down with a big name hero or team

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He already had wtf?

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care about reading about a bad guy.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#64 k4tzm4n  Moderator

To the "he had one and it failed" comments: yes, I know. It's mentioned in the article. But this was also before he gained popularity by appearing regularly in Arrow and Injustice: Gods Among Us/Batman: Arkham Origins. Given the right creative team and a fresh start, I believe it may have more luck a second time around.

Also, IT LOOKS LIKE DC AGREES!

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/new-deathstroke-ongoing-series-announced/1100-149161/

JoshuaDBr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great job man. You convinced DC!

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes less is more. If it were me, after a failed series, I'd probably stop pushing him as a major character with his own comic and take it back to basics for a little bit.

I'd make him the main protagonist for "Grayson". Or maybe someone he needs to work with. Or both. I don't know. I do know, I thought his appearances in the Nightwing series were some of his more interesting showings.

So maybe taking a step back and giving it some thought on what they need to do to make Deathstroke's solo series profitable wouldn't be the worst plan.

RenaissanceMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be completely honest in that I don't care for Deathstroke's character at all, but this is a very nice article. I hope Slade fans get the ongoing they deserve.

It's cool. I think Wolverine is an overrated loser.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@wolverine08 said:

I'll be completely honest in that I don't care for Deathstroke's character at all, but this is a very nice article. I hope Slade fans get the ongoing they deserve.

It's cool. I think Wolverine is an overrated loser.

No Caption Provided

Someone's salty!

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I agree with this article and all its points. Deathstroke should have an ongoing series- there are many other popular characters like him that make you question: "Why the hell don't they have a series?" at both DC & Marvel. For anther example, Winter Soldier. I find it irritating that both Deathstroke and Winter Soldier had books, but despite their popularity, they were both cancelled. (Though, in Deathstroke's case, I blame Liefeld. Like Michael Bay, Liefeld is the destroyer of worlds & childhood dreams.)

Looks like you're getting your two wishes. :)

http://www.avclub.com/article/exclusive-kot-and-rudy-launch-bucky-barnes-winter--206711

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills said:

I agree with this article and all its points. Deathstroke should have an ongoing series- there are many other popular characters like him that make you question: "Why the hell don't they have a series?" at both DC & Marvel. For anther example, Winter Soldier. I find it irritating that both Deathstroke and Winter Soldier had books, but despite their popularity, they were both cancelled. (Though, in Deathstroke's case, I blame Liefeld. Like Michael Bay, Liefeld is the destroyer of worlds & childhood dreams.)

Looks like you're getting your two wishes. :)

http://www.avclub.com/article/exclusive-kot-and-rudy-launch-bucky-barnes-winter--206711

Haha OH YEAH!! The Winter Soldier news really made my day! Both Marvel & DC must have felt a disturbance in the force...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.