Kyle Higgins Prepares Us for DC's 'The New 52' Deathstroke #1

Posted by G-Man (33960 posts) - - Show Bio

With DC's 'The New 52,' we've been left wondering what changes, if any, our favorite characters will go through. Kyle Higgins, writer for Nightwing and Batman: Gates of Gotham, will be guiding Deathstroke the Terminator in his new ongoing series. The book lands in comic shops tomorrow, September 14.

Will this be the same Slade Wilson we've known or will there be major changes? To get you prepared, we asked Kyle some questions to see what we could find out before reading the issue.

Comic Vine: Deathstroke is supposed to be a vicious killer but isn't always depicted that way. How crazy violent will your Deathstroke get?

Kyle Higgins: I think it's a safe bet to say we're exceeding the action and violence quota of the other 52 launches... by a lot (laughs). Ok, maybe not exceeding them... but we're certainly up there.

This is a book that's a blast to write and of the big reasons is because of how merciless Deathstroke is in his work. As for not always being depicted as a “vicious killer” or a top-tier threat, you're right. But if you think about it, villains by their very nature are designed to lose. Their whole purpose is to challenge our heroes, make our heroes better, or show how good our heroes are (which is accomplished by beating said villain). So, what tends to happen with a character like Deathstroke—whose entire core is built on being the fiercest killer/mercenary in the DCU—is that he becomes over used. Him showing up becomes a short hand for a lot of writers in trying to convey that feeling of “oh man, our heroes are in some deep shit!” But at a certain point, and after so many of these appearances, you start to ask yourself “why am I scared of this guy again?”

In my opinion, he's been existing on his reputation alone for a long time. And that's kind of something I'm playing with in the new series. But, you know, this creates a whole different set of problems—if a villain's purpose is to show how great our heroes are, how do you create a sustainable book ABOUT a villain? What do you have him do? Who do you have him kill? It's a balance I'm finding in the series.

== TEASER ==

CV: With the 'creation' of the new Teen Titans team, does Deathstroke still have a connection to them? Are you and Scott Lobdell planning any crossovers?

KH: No, there's no connection. And at this point we're not planning any crossovers.

CV: Nightwing is another character with close ties to Slade. Since you're writing both, will Nightwing's circus tour bring him up against Deathstroke?

KH: You know, that's something I considered... but I decided to wait. Don't get me wrong—I'd love to do a Nightwing and Deathstroke crossover... but I want to make sure I have the right story for it. I have the beginnings of an idea for one, so we'll see. But I promise this—if I ultimately do one, you can guarantee it'll be epic.

CV: Where does Ravager fit in the "New 52"?

KH: As far as I know, Rose was never Ravager... although that's more a question for Scott Lobdell. I believe she's showing up in Superboy.

CV: Will we find out what Deathstroke keeps in all his little pouches on his belt/costume?

KH: Spare pouches (laughs). I'll work a diagram into issue 6.

Staff
#1 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

BADASSNESSS INCARNATED

#2 Posted by firvulag (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess I'll add another subscribtion to my Comixology account..

#3 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Man I would love to get this as well. Always have had a fondness for the death machine that is Slade Wilson. Good stuff!

#4 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

when he sais diagram doesn't he mean DIEagram this is deathstroke afterall

#5 Posted by The_Mercenary (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

YES YES YES YES YES! 
Deathstroke FTW!
#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio

Still can't get over the clear Jonah knockoff decapitation. Too awesome.

#7 Posted by Jake Fury (18616 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to this. Higgins is an up and comer.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33360 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont really like the art but I do like Higgins (that sounds weird as its my name too).

#9 Posted by Jake Fury (18616 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO@ Jonah getting beheaded, he even lost his cigar.

#10 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

What is up with those shoulder pads?

#11 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his comment on both crossover elements... it is good to get some distance between Deathstroke and the Titans, and while I concur that a Nightwing crossover would be really cool, given both their (potential) history and the mano a mano, rather than man versus team dynamic, I'm happy to hear that the right story is more important than just achieving the crossover. This is already on my list, hoping for good things from this one.

#12 Posted by ndholite (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that Conan's sword...? Maybe change that with katana would be awesome... but it will be look a like DEADPOOL...

#13 Edited by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

@firvulag said:

do read all yours digitally?

#14 Posted by Golden Cod (425 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else notice the X on his belt buckle? Technically he has X marks on his pouches too. The design of his blue and orange colors is also very X-Men-ish.

There needs to be a crossover where Cable takes his pouches back and Wade Wilson tries to be best buddies with Slade.

#15 Posted by Oghmata (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@ndholite said:

Is that Conan's sword...? Maybe change that with katana would be awesome... but it will be look a like DEADPOOL...

You're right in both ways, it would look cool, but pretty much like Wade. But I'm fine with the "barbarian sword". Hey, he's Deathstroke, even with a spoon he'd look freakin' fearsome !

#16 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

@ndholite: I thought it was He-Mans

#17 Posted by ninjacommando (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Sad to hear that they're no ties to Dick or Teen Titans... I'm not a 100% on this title, but I might get it after reading reviews and if they're good!

#18 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this mean his official name is no longer "Deathstroke the Terminator" like some stupid 70s action movie villain? He's FINALLY just "Deathstroke"... oh thank god.

#19 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jake Fury said:

LMAO@ Jonah getting beheaded, he even lost his cigar.

hahaha, yea, first thing I noticed too. Someone finally shut him up :D

#20 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked that statement that was made of "why am I scared of this guy again?". It seems that after Slade took down the heroes in Identity Crisis, he was a hot commodity but made these annoying appearances where he didn't do anything. They were building to a big confrontation with Batman during Infinite Crisis but then Bruce, Tim and Dick took the guy down mostly off-panel.

#21 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

....Meh, still not interested in the least.

#22 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@ndholite said:

Not really. You should read the interiors. It reads like you're following a mercenary. Not like you're following a baffoon.

#23 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch said:

What is up with those shoulder pads?

Keeps him from getting attacked from behind.

#24 Posted by The Stegman (24360 posts) - - Show Bio
@ninjacommando:  

Sad to hear that they're no ties to Dick or Teen Titans... I'm not a 100% on this title, but I might get it after reading reviews and if they're good!

i'm actually glad to hear it, i mean i liked some of his encounters with the TT but i always thought it a bit silly that Deathstroke, the world's best assassin would occupy all his time hunting down teenagers 
#25 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

"Hey Batman you have all those toys in your belt pouches but you know what I got in mine? Extra pouches! Beat that!" - Deathstroke.

#26 Posted by Sky_Jokiel (304 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait!!!

#27 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by VaizD (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator said:

JESUS CHRIST WHERE IS YOUR TOWEL/BLANKET. This is simply indecent!

#29 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW, Wait. The guy that writes Nightwing writes DS? Damn, this is either gonna go real good or real bad. -.-

#30 Posted by slick23 (460 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke on insane assassin mode ! damn there goes my 3.99

#31 Posted by Omega-Man (762 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait what? Scott Lobdell stated in questions that Judas Contact was still cannon to both Nightwing/Teen Titans and Deathstroke, but here Higgins states theres no connect between Titans and Deathstroke. Or am I reading this wrong?

#32 Posted by Bluefox170 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omega-Man : I believe he means there is no connection to this relaunched team of Teen Titans, not the New Titans.

#33 Posted by Trodorne (2587 posts) - - Show Bio

@firvulag said:

you better be buying your digital comics through comic stores digital store fronts....

#34 Posted by Trodorne (2587 posts) - - Show Bio

@goldenkey said:

@ndholite: I thought it was He-Mans

that would be he-man if he went evil.

#35 Posted by _Zombie_ (10442 posts) - - Show Bio

If the reviews are good, I'll pick this up. Really looks promising, but I'll be careful.

#36 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

The book i've been looking more forward to most.

#37 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

hate the costume, bring the old one back hate the costume, bring the old one back hate the costume, bring the old one back.........

#38 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Mmh.... looks like plenty of "THE NEW 52" characters are bringing their Flashpoint incarnation along for the reboot. Deathstroke surely looks like so. (so does Green Arrow for example)

#39 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1061 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow no Titans history or no connection to Rose....this is just so frustrating

#40 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10777 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say, the only things i dont like from this suit are the hockey pads and the red eye.

It looks better that the first time i saw the redesign.

#41 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mrfuzzynutz said:

Wow no Titans history or no connection to Rose....this is just so frustrating

Best thing about this series,no more Rose holding him back.

#42 Posted by grimlock (1571 posts) - - Show Bio

@Oghmata said:

@ndholite said:

You're right in both ways, it would look cool, but pretty much like Wade. But I'm fine with the "barbarian sword". Hey, he's Deathstroke, even with a spoon he'd look freakin' fearsome !

yeah even with a spoon this guy can kill them and make them look as though they never lived

#43 Posted by _Knightwing (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle Higgins 

F. 
T. 
W.
#44 Posted by geminisama (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke crossed dimensions to behead Jonah Jameson?! Hardcore.

#45 Posted by sdunham818 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

THIS BOOK F'IN ROCKS....nuff said ;)

#46 Posted by jonbino (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the end of Issue #1 is pretty much a clear indication of Slade's stand regarding teenagers. No. More. Kids.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.