Deathstroke Evil?

#1 Posted by trickarrow (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Deathstroke really evil or just misunderstood?

Has Deathstrokes moral compass changed in the New 52?

#2 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke is not evil and is just working hard to earn money.

#3 Posted by darktiger (4455 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

agreed he has a good heart he is definitively misunderstood

#4 Posted by Catsnlynne (1020 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestyly the first time I read Deathstroke, I thought he was a good guy.

#5 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is Deathstroke is more honest than politicians, CEOs and religious leaders.

#6 Posted by DurararaFTW (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and Bruce Wayne take offense.

#7 Posted by Bluefox170 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke is a killer for hire. He's not out to be good. He's not out to be bad. He's out to be a respected warrior.

#8 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd hate to meet him in a dark alley...

#9 Posted by Z3RO180 (6447 posts) - - Show Bio

Misunderstood death stroke is not he's a merc if you pay him enough he be as good or as evil as you want him to be

#10 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4525 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

Misunderstood death stroke is not he's a merc if you pay him enough he be as good or as evil as you want him to be
#11 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke is neutral.

Not evil,not good.

I don't know why you people mess it up always.

#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, yes, he's f*cking evil. He regularly tried to murder a bunch of kids. Being paid for a job doesn't automatically absolve you of sin.

#13 Posted by SoA (4776 posts) - - Show Bio

deathstroke is morally gray - he just follows the money .

#14 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

He is a villain who is mainly motivated by money. He is a gun for hire. Mercenaries, henchman, goons who are willing to do wrongs for compensation are considered evil. Lesser evil who are being paid by greater evils but still evil. If not money it’s for social gain, power and etc

He said himself that he is a necessary evil because most of the heroes don’t kill or would do things that are considered unethical. Necessary evil is still evil. Anyone making a count of how many bad things he did. I don't think he is sorry for them.

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (14680 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he is a bit evil.I mean trying to kill kids is just a little bit evil and sick.

#16 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Ugh, yes, he's f*cking evil. He regularly tried to murder a bunch of kids. Being paid for a job doesn't automatically absolve you of sin.

My thoughts exactly.

#17 Posted by Saren (25611 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

deathstroke is morally gray - he just follows the money .

@colonyofcells said:

@Stronger said:

Deathstroke is neutral.

Not evil,not good.

I don't know why you people mess it up always.

In what world is being a killer-for-hire a moral grey area? Even running under the assumption that Deathstroke's hits don't count as evil acts because it's just business and the world operates on the Michael Corleone school of ethical reasoning, the guy drugged his own daughter and drove her insane, among other acts of dubious virtue. If all it took to not be evil was periodically ruminate on the perils of a warrior's life, a lot more people would be doing it.

#18 Posted by mhanuroth (208 posts) - - Show Bio

he is evil. he kills for money but he KILLS.

#19 Edited by deathstroke275 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

deathstroke is a hired killer he kills because he is paid too. he doesn't like fighting super heros although a bad father to rose in particular, so yeah neutral.

#20 Edited by tristanh (4 posts) - - Show Bio

He manipulated and had a physical relationship with a fifteen year old psychotic girl just to get back at a group of teens that he blamed for killing his son. This isn't exactly 'neutral' behavior.

#21 Posted by Jayc1324 (11405 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke is good IMO. He is a caring father and even let his daughter work with the teen titans. He just has different morals and will kill for money, but that's not a huge deal considering he was a soldier.

#22 Edited by TehStranger (836 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in the day I think Deathstroke could be seen as sort of a neutral character

When he was getting beat up by Wintergreen he didn't attack him back when he could of easily killed him which shows some good in him, since a truly evil character would of killed Wintergreen if they were being attacked. In that third scan you see that Slade admits he's screwed up and made mistakes in his life, and dreams of a world of peace and happiness and being able to eat all the food in the world and never get fat (I guess he was hungry when he gave that speech) which shows there is some good buried within him. Then when he's having a duel with some kid he shoots him in the hand, instead of somewhere like the head, and tells him he can now live a long life, which again, shows there is some good in him since he doesn't want to kill someone for no reason. Though admittedly he does kill him which is pretty evil.

However, over the years he became more villainous but was still sort of neutral, but when he was responsible for the bombing of Blüdhaven, I think from that point on he could no longer be considered neutral since he was responsible for over 100,00 deaths just to get back at Nightwing, so from there on I would say: yes, he was evil.

And to the second part, yes Deathstroke's moral compass has changed in the New 52. In the first issue he kills his team of teenagers for no reason other than he likes working alone.

tl;dr no and yes

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.