Deathstroke: Anti-hero, anti-villain or villain?

Edited 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Deathstroke: Anti-hero, anti-villain or villain? (35 votes)

Anti-hero 26%
Anti-villain 40%
Villain 34%

How would you identify Slade?

Personally I think of him as more of an anti-villain as though his morality more immediately identifies with "bad guys" or villains, he doesn't act out in the name of evil but rather following 'his word is his bond' principle. In this sense Slade acts according to a code; a standard he sets to regulate himself. It's not a completely immoral code as his goal isn't the destruction of worlds or people outright, but it's certainly fairly murky. Still, he will team up with protagonists to take down common enemies. True villains would never rationalize doing such things unless it involved foiling the heroes' plan. Anti-villains and anti-heroes, however, don't mind doing mutually beneficial things if its more logical for them. Anyway, that's my feeling on it.

#1 Posted by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a villain. He primarily kills people for money. His goal is to kill people for money. On a secondary note he'll team up with protagonists to take down common enemies, but plenty of villains do that too. Zod teamed up with Superman to fight Brainiac on New Krypton, Bane teamed up with Batman against King Snake, etc.

#2 Posted by dondave (37552 posts) - - Show Bio

Villain

#3 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33477 posts) - - Show Bio

a villain with anti-villain tendencies

#4 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33477 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by eternalnature (364 posts) - - Show Bio

he do what he want.

#10 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a anti-villain

#11 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10875 posts) - - Show Bio

Mercenary, if he has to works with heroes or be heroic, he will be heroic.

#12 Posted by lifeofvibe (3489 posts) - - Show Bio

anti villain like the pre grant morrison pre tony daniel pre 52 jason todd was

p.s thats at least 4 crappy writter crapping on jason god i hate you dc

#13 Posted by Jokerpoker (2963 posts) - - Show Bio

More of a villain.

#14 Posted by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it really depends on whose writing him, he could be anti-hero or full on villain. I prefer when he sort of a mixture of both, its make him more compelling.

#15 Edited by TehStranger (836 posts) - - Show Bio

Marv Wolfman's 60 issue "Deathstroke the Terminator" series is probably one of my favorite series of all time, and that's how I like seeing him portrayed; as a mercenary anti hero. However over the years he became more villainous to the point of becoming a straight up villain. In the new 52 he's become sort of an anti hero again, but I just find New 52 Deathstroke extremely boring.

#16 Posted by SuperStar_sketcher (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a mercenary meaning all of the above

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.