Follow

Deathstroke

Character » Deathstroke appears in 1329 issues.

Genetically engineered to surpass all human limits, Slade Wilson was once a soldier but now works as one of the most feared assassins in the DC Universe. He has frequently clashed with the Teen Titans, Batman, Green Arrow, the Justice League, and even gods!

Deathstroke and Deadpool

• 69 results
    Avatar image for justice_warrior
    Justice Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Justice Warrior

okay, we all know that Marvel's Deadpool is a complete rip-off of Deathstroke, I'm just saying it. Some similarities: Slade Wilson/Wade Wilson, Death/Dead, Stroke/Pool, both weapons masters, both regenerate, both wear two tone costumes covering their whole bodies so my question is, why the heck are they both still in print?
    Post Edited:2007-08-07 17:01:39

Xmen_forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Xmen_forever

Justice Warrior says:

"okay, we all know that Marvel's Deadpool is a complete rip-off of Deathstroke, I'm just saying it. Some similarities: Slade Wilson/Wade Wilson, Death/Dead, Stroke/Pool, both weapons masters, both regenerate, both wear two tone costumes covering their whole bodies so my question is, why the heck are they both still in print?
    Post Edited:2007-08-07 17:01:39"

because they're nothing alike. what you said is only close to being the same.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DEADPOOL

I don't think Deathstroke heals, does he? I know he's supposed to be immortal, but if he heals, then he'd still have his right eye.

Deadpool started off as a parody of Deathstroke, who quickly rocketed to cult stardom. Deathstroke however, in my opinion, is a Captain America rip-off. They're both soldiers who drank a serum to gain peak-human abilities... and their costumes are also pretty similar: scalemail armor, flaired gloves, fold-over boots, and something that appears to be a short-sleeve mid-drift shirt over another shirt.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#4  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Deathstroke has a pretty good healing factor (nothing like Deadpool's, but it's good) most of the time. I never questioned the eye thing, maybe it happened before he got the healing thing, I don't know.

You've said the Cap/Deathstroke thing before and I agree. There's more similarities between those two than with DS and DP. If DS turned good and traded his guns for a shield, he'd be Cap. Stroke and Pool are outwardly alike, but like you said the parody has taken on a life, personality and following of his own.

Justice Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Justice Warrior

thanks

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Of course he's a Deathstroke rip off, but at least Marvel admits it. Its like yes we ripped your character off and then made it our own.

Justice Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Justice Warrior

hah. nice

Justice Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Justice Warrior

it is possible that the eye thing is a mistake, that it just slipped by them.

or, they could have watched it become a trademark of his, and left it.

or he(deathstroke) may have chosen not to heal it (for some odd reason)

there are several possibilities

Cap. Briny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Cap. Briny

Deadpool may be a rip off and if he is then he's the best darn one I've seen in my life!

Deadpool was such a genius idea that he became COOLER than the rip off.

Titank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Titank

Deadpool is definately a rip off of deathstroke!!! They look exactly the same!!! (except for colours of course) I hope Marvel have killed him off!!! I suppose Deadpool has 3 kids, two of which have taken the name Scaveger or revenger!!!

Deathstroke RULES!!!

StarjackerSeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By StarjackerSeth

RavenStar says:

"Deadpool is definately a rip off of deathstroke!!! They look exactly the same!!! (except for colours of course) I hope Marvel have killed him off!!! I suppose Deadpool has 3 kids, two of which have taken the name Scaveger or revenger!!!Deathstroke RULES!!!"

Blasphemy! Marvel couldn't kill off Deadpool even if they wanted to. He's too funny. And he's not a "major" character like Iron Man, Thor, ect, anyway so. He dosn't have a HUGE impact in the Marvel Universe, thus no reason to even kill him off.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gottheit

Actually, that sounds like the perfect reason to kill him off.

@ the eye thing, I think it's supposed to be like Odin. Lost his eye, but he sees things other people don't.

Julius Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Julius Cutter

i like both characters,i don't really see Dp as a complete rip

Paradox4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Paradox4000

Lol, the rip-off got more popular than the original. Awesome.

And Gambler, how are you a mod? You're like the biggest Deadpool hater and troll I've ever seen.
    Post Edited:2008-06-02 15:07:14

ImbecilicSage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImbecilicSage

Deadpool's only meant to be an aesthetic homage to Deathstroke in essence; in terms of characterization there's absolutely nothing in common between the two. Marvel and DC have ripped of tons of each other's characters time and time again, there's nothing really that novel about it at this point. Thanos has probably surpassed Darkseid at this point in terms of both prominence and popularity, but it's not like many people make too big a deal out of that.
    Post Edited:2008-06-02 15:28:03

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Korg

If Deathstroke only has one eye, doesn't that throw his depth-perception way out of whack? This always bothers me with one-eyed characters (Nick Fury, Callipso, etc.)

Avatar image for deathstroke_the_terminator
    Deathstroke-the-Terminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, a bunch of you are morons for making stupid comments about Deathstroke and Deadpool without EVER actually reading the comics. It's like seeing a trailer and claiming you know the movie. Yes, Deadpool is a rip-off of Deathstroke, hell they outright showed it in the Marvel-DC crossover where Deadpool WAS an alternate universe version of Deathstroke. Their simularities are actually a lot more than just those few things.
    Aliases? Deathstroke; Deadpool.
    Real names? Slade Wilson; Wade Wilson.
    Occupation? Mercenary; Mercenary.
    Outfits? Two-toned bodysuit Orange/Blue-Black; Two-toned bodysuit Red/Black.
    Weapons? Various firearms, sword; Various firearms, two swords.
    Powers/Abilities? Regeneration, Superhuman Strength/Durability/Reflexes/Stamina/Thought Process;
    Healing Factor, EnhancedStrength/Stamina/Agility/Reflexes/4th Wall Awareness
    Tech Handler? Squirrel; Weasel
    Source of powers? United States military experimentation, Canadian military experimentation

I mean come on, this crap is fifteen years old and you don't even know the information let alone want to continue the issue of being a rip-off? And to tell you, Deathstroke is not a Captain America rip-off, he's a Batman rip-off. He's what Batman would be if Batman ever resulted to kill someone. Simularities?

Bruce Wayne & Slade Wilson
    Both are heavily rich.
    Both use advanced gadgets.
    Both train youngsters.
    Both are playboys.
    Both of their identities are "sophistocated" men.
    Both have their own strict codes of ethics that they never break.
    Both have information consultants that have military experiance, i.e. Alfred Pennyworth; WilliamWintergreen.
    Both of their information consultants are British.
    Both of their tech suppliers have animal names, i.e. Lucius Fox; Squirrel.
    Both tend to blow through cash to support their technologically advanced lifestyles.

And just to let you all know, Deathstroke was shot in the eye by his wife after their son's throat was cut by a man who was going after Slade. Which, Adeline (Slade's wife) held Slade responsible and tried to kill him. This was actually before his healing factor fully kicked in, it saved his life but it couldn't regenerate his right eye. So, that's why he still has no right eye. Oh, and just to throw out there. Even though most of Deadpool's background is based purely off of Deathstroke, his personality is 100% different. Deadpool is an ADD-stricken, foul-mouth, black humored, ultimately hilarious, son of a bitch. So, the characters themselves are extremely different from one another when it comes to their behaviors and perceptions.

vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By vuviper

Nice post Deathstroke

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Deathstroke-the-Terminator said:
    "Alright, a bunch of you are morons for making stupid comments about Deathstroke and Deadpool without EVER actually reading the comics. It's like seeing a trailer and claiming you know the movie. Yes, Deadpool is a rip-off of Deathstroke, hell they outright showed it in the Marvel-DC crossover where Deadpool WAS an alternate universe version of Deathstroke. Their simularities are actually a lot more than just those few things.
    Powers/Abilities? Regeneration, Superhuman Strength/Durability/Reflexes/Stamina/Thought Process;
    Source of powers? United States military experimentation, Canadian military experimentation

I mean come on, this crap is fifteen years old and you don't even know the information let alone want to continue the issue of being a rip-off? And to tell you, Deathstroke is not a Captain America rip-off, he's a Batman rip-off. He's what Batman would be if Batman ever resulted to kill someone. Simularities?

Both are heavily rich.
    Both train youngsters.
    Both are playboys.
    Both of their identities are "sophistocated" men.
    Both have information consultants that have military experiance, i.e. Alfred Pennyworth; WilliamWintergreen.
    Both of their tech suppliers have animal names, i.e. Lucius Fox; Squirrel.
    Both tend to blow through cash to support their technologically advanced lifestyles.

And just to let you all know, Deathstroke was shot in the eye by his wife after their son's throat was cut by a man who was going after Slade. Which, Adeline (Slade's wife) held Slade responsible and tried to kill him. This was actually before his healing factor fully kicked in, it saved his life but it couldn't regenerate his right eye. So, that's why he still has no right eye. Oh, and just to throw out there. Even though most of Deadpool's background is based purely off of Deathstroke, his personality is 100% different. Deadpool is an ADD-stricken, foul-mouth, black humored, ultimately hilarious, son of a bitch. So, the characters themselves are extremely different from one another when it comes to their behaviors and perceptions."
    Agreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

However, I love both of them

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Travis Barker wins.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Nighthunter

Deathstroke + Ambush Bog=Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nighthunter said:
    "Deathstroke + Ambush Bog=Deadpool"
    Ambush Bug?
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Nighthunter
    TheDrifter said:
    "Nighthunter said:
    Ambush Bug?"
    heard this one before?

a goofy character that wasn't meant to be taken seriously, a character that knows that he is actually a comic book character and does many jokes about it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nighthunter said:
    "TheDrifter said:
    "Nighthunter said:
    Ambush Bug?"
    heard this one before?

a goofy character that wasn't meant to be taken seriously, a character that knows that he is actually a comic book character and does many jokes about it"
    Ah........

I see
    metallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By metallic

I had no idea that all this would happen...but to combine all of this....deathstoke is a combination of deadpool and batman, or batman and deadpool are a combnation of deathstoke...and deathstoke is awsome in Mortal Kombat vs. DC.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gunswordfist

Both regenerate and wear two costumes?! I didn't actually know that. Also the Stroke/Pool comparison was funny. But that's the thing, Deadpool was made to basically be a funny version of Deathstroke. Seriously, if you got to create a super powered character based off one of your favorites, would you stop because some guy on the internet would call him a ripoff? No, I didn't think so.

shut up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shut up
    @Justice Warrior said:
    "

okay, we all know that Marvel's Deadpool is a complete rip-off of Deathstroke, I'm just saying it. Some similarities: Slade Wilson/Wade Wilson, Death/Dead, Stroke/Pool, both weapons masters, both regenerate, both wear two tone costumes covering their whole bodies so my question is, why the heck are they both still in print?
    Post Edited:2007-08-07 17:01:39

"fuckface how does pool and stroke relate

no sorry im being a retard stroke is a form of swimming sorry im as retarded as uur ma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats not very nice to call someone a F#ckface...

demon1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By demon1103

Deadpool and Deathstroke are clearly copies of different comic universes in outward appearance.I saw it and so did every one else. However, as far as I can tell thats where the similarities end. And as far as who's the rip off, I could honestly care less. Deadpool is by far in *my opinion* the greatest Marvel character. Who can argue to that when he kills a man for liking the newest 3 Star Wars movies the most and forcing another to call JarJarBinks an abomination. Not to mention his top reason for staying in a zombie universe is score with a total hottie. I doubt you'll see that anywhere else. Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Epsilon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Epsilon5

@Deathstroke-the-Terminator said:

Alright, a bunch of you are morons for making stupid comments about Deathstroke and Deadpool without EVER actually reading the comics. It's like seeing a trailer and claiming you know the movie. Yes, Deadpool is a rip-off of Deathstroke, hell they outright showed it in the Marvel-DC crossover where Deadpool WAS an alternate universe version of Deathstroke. Their simularities are actually a lot more than just those few things.

Bruce Wayne & Slade WilsonBoth are heavily rich.
    Both train youngsters.
    Both are playboys.
    Both of their identities are "sophistocated" men.
    Both have information consultants that have military experiance, i.e. Alfred Pennyworth; William Wintergreen.Both of their information consultants are British.
    Both of their tech suppliers have animal names, i.e. Lucius Fox; Squirrel.Both tend to blow through cash to support their technologically advanced lifestyles.And just to let you all know, Deathstroke was shot in the eye by his wife after their son's throat was cut by a man who was going after Slade. Which, Adeline (Slade's wife) held Slade responsible and tried to kill him. This was actually before his healing factor fully kicked in, it saved his life but it couldn't regenerate his right eye. So, that's why he still has no right eye. Oh, and just to throw out there. Even though most of Deadpool's background is based purely off of Deathstroke, his personality is 100% different. Deadpool is an ADD-stricken, foul-mouth, black humored, ultimately hilarious, son of a bitch. So, the characters themselves are extremely different from one another when it comes to their behaviors and perceptions.

Hell Yeah!

Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aero_gt

Dc and Marvel have been ripping eachother off since the beginning of time. Yes, the creator of Deadpool copied his Deathstroke because he loved the teen Titan Comix. I mean there's Wonder man(marvel) and Wonder women(Dc). I could Soloman Grundy is like Dc's version of the Hulk, both aren't that smart, both rage both have the same body build. Hyperion is Marvel's whack ripoff of Superman. I'd even say the Aquaman and Namor are rips of eachother (I think Namor was first.) Namor is what Aquaman would be if he a total dick(Still like him though) and Aquaman would be wha Namor is if Namor was more of a pompous king(Also like him). Anywho Deadpool is his own Mercenary and Deathstroke is his own. In my opionion if I wanted a job done I would definately hire Deathstroke whose more serious and could actually do a better job of completting the task. I'd hire Deadpool to hang out with because he is comedy gold.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Zeeguy91

@ImbecilicSage: Thanos is more prominent and popular than Darkseid?? Where did you ever get that? Yeah....that's why IGN ranked Thanos as #47 on their list of the 100 Greatest Comic Book Villains, while Darkseid came in at #6. That's, what...a 41-spot difference? I've known about Darkseid from when I first started reading comics, but I didn't see or hear anything about Thanos until I had been reading comics for over two years. It seems to me that you've been sippin' a little too much of the Marvel koolaid. Darkseid is much more popular than Thanos, because not only has he had multiple animated appearances, from the Superman animated series to Justice League to Superman/Batman Apocolypse, but he's just a better written villain in the comics. And Darkseid has always been one of the most prominent villains in the DCU: JLA: Apokolips Now, The Great Darkness Saga, and not to mention, the current arc on the New 52 Justice League. And Thanos is just a COMPLETE ripoff not only in appearance, but also in MO. Thanos tried creating his own race of gods in Celestial Quest, Darkseid has his own race of gods on Apokolips. Thanos quests to get the Infinity Gauntlet, Darkseid quests for the Anti-Life Equation. Its just sooooo blatant. I seriously think DC should've sued on that one, because that IMO is just crossing the line when it comes to "subconscious plagiarism."

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Aero_gt: Besides the name, Wonder Man and Wonder Woman are almost nothing alike. Wonder Man received his powers via ionic energy treatments/experimentation, while Wonder Woman's powers are inherent because of he fact that she was born and raised an Amazon. Also, Wonder Man started out as a villain and then later became a superhero, while Wonder Woman has always been a superhero. So, besides the obvious similarity in the name, I don't really see a rip off.

However, the other two examples you share do display obvious similarities. But you could actually say the Hulk is Marvel's version of Grundy because Solomon Grundy actually preceded the Hulk by almost 20 years. However, their origins are completely different: Grundy is a zombie, while Hulk is the result of gamma irradiation.

Aquaman and Namor though could be twins. Both kings of Atlantis who harbor some "suspicions" of the surface world. And you're right, Namor did debut first (in 1939, I think) beating Aquaman, who debuted in 1941, by two years. However, Aquaman was the first of the two to be depicted as king of Atlantis or have Atlantis appear in his origin at all.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By frogjitsu

@Gambler said:

Of course he's a Deathstroke rip off, but at least Marvel admits it. Its like yes we ripped your character off and then made it our own.

What comic is this from? It looks hilarious.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By Strider1992

@frogjitsu: Superman/Batman Annual 1 and yeah it has some funny moments

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for greencrapweasel
    greencrapweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By greencrapweasel

i really love Deathstroke and Deadpool theyre both freakin awesome! and not to mention Legen- wait for it.......DARY! Legendary!

btteyesa898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By btteyesa898

I'll admit that for a fact deadpool is a total ripoff of deathstroke, but(according to what I see)deadpool has become much more popular than deathstroke. I don't know why this is true. maybe it's because deadpool has much more charisma than deathstroke. Like I said,(according to what I see)

1frankcastle4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 1frankcastle4

good stuff deathstroke

Rhysg608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rhysg608

deadpool is far better and funnier and a far better character

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By darktiger

Deathstroke better then deadpool too me

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By darktiger

Both are heavily rich.
    Both train youngsters.
    Both are playboys.
    Both of their tech suppliers have animal names, i.e. Lucius Fox; Squirrel.Both tend to blow through cash to support their technologically advanced lifestyles.And just to let you all know, Deathstroke was shot in the eye by his wife after their son's throat was cut by a man who was going after Slade. Which, Adeline (Slade's wife) held Slade responsible and tried to kill him. This was actually before his healing factor fully kicked in, it saved his life but it couldn't regenerate his right eye. So, that's why he still has no right eye. Oh, and just to throw out there. Even though most of Deadpool's background is based purely off of Deathstroke, his personality is 100% different. Deadpool is an ADD-stricken, foul-mouth, black humored, ultimately hilarious, son of a bitch. So, the characters themselves are extremely different from one another when it comes to their behaviors and perceptions.

agreed my friend

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By VenomousDragon

Ehh hes more of a parody than a ripoff.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By darktiger

deathstroke is way better then deadpool

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jobbernos

Both are heavily rich.
    Both train youngsters.
    Both are playboys.

QFT

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By darktiger

@VenomousDragon said:

Ehh hes more of a parody than a ripoff.

what do you mean

JMeetze1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JMeetze1

Okay Marvel and DC are closely related to each other and base each others characters off of each other. Deadpool is based off of Deathstroke, Rob Liefeld one of the creators of Deadpool was a huge fan of Teen Titans. So he based his character off of Deathstroke. Marvel has used DC characters as a base a lot of times, Marvel's Moon Knight is clearly based off of Batman aka the Dark Knight. Doctor Fate is similar to Doctor Strange. All these similar characters that people like to accuse people of stealing. Apocalypse from X-Men just reminds me of Darkseid from Superman. The Avengers was made to compete with the JLA. Marvel is younger then DC Comics so its like a little brother working to be better then its brother. DC has great characters like Green Lantern, Superman, and Batman. Marvel has great characters like Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Iron Man and the X-Men. Comparing two companies that, despite popular belief, tend to work together is a little ridiculous. I mean I love both company's. Young Justice/Teen Titans and X-Men/X-Force two of the greatest comics ever.

JMeetze1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JMeetze1

@darktiger: And I like Deadpool better then Deathstroke, except when Slade was in the Teen Titans series and he acted more like a mastermind then a hired gun.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By consolemaster001

@Gambler said:

BIackCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems as though very people read up on their comic history...

Yes, Deadpool is an incredibly fantastic and obvious jab at DC's Deathstroke, but it was only because Deathstroke was based off of Marvel's Taskmaster (not Cap as many have assumed).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.