Follow

Death of the Family

Story arc »

After a year's absence, Joker is back and he's not playing around this time, as he guns for Batman and his family of allies that Joker believes makes him weak.

This Just In: Next Joker Victim in BATMAN #14 [SPOILERS]

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Today the latest issue of BATMAN "Death of the Family" lands in stores. Joker is back with a vengeance. His face has been cut off and with his return to Gotham, he's determined to get rid of all those close to Batman in order for him to be able to concentrate on his mission. He feels Batman has grown soft due to all his relations.

No Caption Provided

As we wait for comic shops to open, this is likely to be the first comic to read. If you didn't have enough of a reason to read it first, this following image might be the incentive you need.

Every once in a while, a mysterious benefactor emails a tease image in the wee hours of the night before new comic day. It's always a challenge in deciding whether or not to open the email as I'm not a big fan of spoilers myself. But some people do dig the spoilers. Check out this page from BATMAN #14.

== TEASER ==

ONLY SCROLL DOWN IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE IMAGE!

The arc is called "DEATH of the Family." Could this actually be the end of this character? Would DC and Scott Snyder actually do that? You would think the answer is no but then again, they probably want to show that Joker is serious. And if no one dies, would that be letting the story arc title down?

It's not looking too good for Jim.

No Caption Provided

Now to wait for the comic shops to open.

Avatar image for deactivated-63417c6af01d0
    deactivated-63417c6af01d0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Barbara HAS to kill him now.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Or35ti

holy sh*t

ekrolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ekrolo

Holy crap! I wonder who else is gonna bite the dust.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thespideyguy

I think it is to early in the new fifty-two for them to kill Jim Gordon. I think there is going to be a cop out joker death. Also Greg has to learn how to not draw boobs on male characters (Look at gordon).

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dernman

I think this could actually be a really good thing. You don't have to kill him off but you can have him be so hurt that he can't come back unless you want him. This way we can get a new commissioner who doesn't like Batman opening the book for some interesting elements.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Twentyfive

Hmm...

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Crash_Recovery

The title doesn't necessairly imply that anyone dies, it's more suggestive of the concept of the Bat Family dying.

The Joker's speech in ish #13 said as much. He thinks Batman's family, squad, support mechanism, whatever, has made for a weaker Batman.

Even if no one dies, the idea (for the Joker) is to dissolve Batman's family.

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MisterKetch

@Crash_Recovery said:

The title doesn't necessairly imply that anyone dies, it's more suggestive of the concept of the Bat Family dying.

The Joker's speech in ish #13 said as much. He thinks Batman's family, squad, support mechanism, whatever, has made for a weaker Batman.

Even if no one dies, the idea (for the Joker) is to dissolve Batman's family.

I think the Joker's plan would be to actually kill then bat family off, but I agree I think the overall idea is that by the end of this the Bat family will be all but dissolved. Which should really be great material for Snyder to work with

I just REALLY hope Alfred doesn't die

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dedpool

See THIS would be epic! I'd be sad to see him go but it'd be very poignant!

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By cobra88king8

Comixology had all the titles up at 8 this morning.

I think thats more of a baggy shirt than manboobs

SlickyMike88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlickyMike88

Someone needs to die here , and it has to be someone important to the bat family , DO NOT COP OUT DC !!!!!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Mucklefluga

Is he actually dead?

EvanTheMexiJew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By EvanTheMexiJew

I actually thought that Gordon died in this image when I first read this issue and was like "SH!T JUST GOT REAL."

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#14  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Oh God, Joker's really going there

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmashBrawler

He ain't dead.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Batman's a wuss.

He should have skinned this 'Joker' alive years and years ago. (But, the plot must go on.)

As far as I'm concerned, a portion of the blood from all the deaths that have occurred after (let's be generous) say, the third time Bruce put the Joker away till today is on Batman's hands.

A man that sick, that beyond repair, that twisted needs to be put down ... permanently. There's no place in a sane world for man turned monster to such an extreme degree.

Just the dozens of cop's lives alone for crissakes ...

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By BatteredArmor

That's the first time my jaw has ever literally dropped in shock

EpicMeltDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By EpicMeltDown

Spoiler Alert:

He'll be fine...because he's Jim Gordon.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sentryman555

@Super_SoldierXII said:

Batman's a wuss.

He should have skinned this 'Joker' alive years and years ago. (But, the plot must go on.)

As far as I'm concerned, a portion of the blood from all the deaths that have occurred after (let's be generous) say, the third time Bruce put the Joker away till today is on Batman's hands.

A man that sick, that beyond repair, that twisted needs to be put down ... permanently. There's no place in a sane world for man turned monster to such an extreme degree.

Well you could argue its not Batman's fault its really the court system in Gotham. They're the ones that don't execute him but instead let the insanity claim ride.

TheMadMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheMadMonkey

If you check out DC's February solicitations, you'll get a fairly good idea of how the Bat-Family fared after this.

I, also, don't believe Gordon will die. He's too important to the Batman mythos to kill. He'll be around and he'll continue being one of Joker's favorite toys to play with.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stormbox

I read this today!!

Really shocking moment!

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By BatWatch
    Therock5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Therock5150

Yeah, It's time for Babs to go "Buffy the Slayer" on the Joker's ass!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By reignmaker

This is what I'm thinking...

It's looking like Alfred is finished. He has ties to the entire family and he's easily the most expendable seeing as he doesn't sell many comic books for DC.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheCowman

Oh good, another "who will die?" type storyline.

Yeah, wake me when its over.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JamDamage

This isn't even the big shocker of the book.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

@sentryman555 said:

@Super_SoldierXII said:

Batman's a wuss.

Well you could argue its not Batman's fault its really the court system in Gotham. They're the ones that don't execute him but instead let the insanity claim ride.

Sure. I don't have a problem with that. Still, clever ole Batman has no trouble taking things into his own hands on every other level ... he is a Vigilante after all - taking the law into his own hands is his forte by trade.

Not finishing a job that obviously needs finishing is a weak handful of BS. He should have caught on already that the legal system cannot possible hold the Joker and does not hold him accountable either.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Miss_Garrick

How many times has he been "fatally" injured?

It's just like Aunt May, that old crone just won't die no matter what! These two are supposed to be "normal", yet they have lived far past a normal lifespan (even for comic normal) and keep going to the hospital every five minutes, and they won't die!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

=O

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Gambit1024

Y'know...

I bought this issue after reading the title of this thread, and I seriously thought someone was killed. Dammit, CV. Stoppit.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Stormbox

@Gambit1024 said:

Y'know...

I bought this issue after reading the title of this thread, and I seriously thought someone was killed. Dammit, CV. Stoppit.

Me too lol

I mean maybe not gordon but someone else for sure

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Gambit1024

@Stormbox said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Y'know...

Me too lol

I mean maybe not gordon but someone else for sure

I was gonna buy it anyway, but this was the push, lol. Personally, I thought it was gonna be Alfred.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By colonyofcells

My guess for the finale is Aunt Harriet will beat up the Joker to a pulp and save Batman. Never underestimate Aunt Harriet ever again.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ohhhh Jim...well, it may not be as bad as I'm thinking it is from the image.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sentryman555

@Super_SoldierXII said:

@sentryman555 said:

@Super_SoldierXII said:

Batman's a wuss.

Sure. I don't have a problem with that. Still, clever ole Batman has no trouble taking things into his own hands on every other level ... he is a Vigilante after all - taking the law into his own hands is his forte by trade.

Not finishing a job that obviously needs finishing is a weak handful of BS. He should have caught on already that the legal system cannot possible hold the Joker and does not hold him accountable either.

Yeah but then we go into the whole its part of Batman's code never to kill and if he started killing his villains he'd be just as bad as they are. Its one thing to stop them but when Batman starts to decide he has the power to kill who he deems deserves it he becomes corrupt and what he represents is shattered.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe Batman should ask Guy Gardner to bring the Joker to OA to be reformed by the Guardians of the Universe.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

@sentryman555 said:

@Super_SoldierXII said:

@sentryman555 said:

@Super_SoldierXII said:

Batman's a wuss.

Yeah but then we go into the whole its part of Batman's code never to kill and if he started killing his villains he'd be just as bad as they are. Its one thing to stop them but when Batman starts to decide he has the power to kill who he deems deserves it he becomes corrupt and what he represents is shattered.

OK. We want to get pedantic and philosophic somewhat about this, let's do so;

I understand the ideology, and in most cases life is indeed sacrosanct (and hey, people make mistakes. It's how we learn). Despite mistakes made, some very serious mistakes, I fully believe in an individuals right to life and to make amends ...

I believe 'criminals' (what a tired term) need to be educated, shown a better way and taught to care by being cared for, more than they need to be ostracized, punished, hated and made to suffer (we're really all like 'big' kids in a very real sense). That just teaches more hate, propagates more angry responses and teaches more violence. Basic human psychology 101 (and yet still we ignore it). Let's face it, many of today's more violent criminals were shown little save violence growing up (doesn't help that such is romanticized everywhere in today's media as well).

That said, our penal system has two main goals; to reform and to protect society. When the system in place fails miserably at both (and we do in 'real life' fail miserably as well I'm afraid), and you do nothing, then you too are responsible when failing in your job costs lives.

It's like a fireman watching a house burn down whilst doing absolutely nothing. Now imagine a couple dozen people inside (men, women, children). Not cool.

It's not like I'm suggesting Batman start 'bataranging' shoplifters to death. The treatment of an individual needs to fit the crime and in so doing, to meet the need of society, and of the greater good.

Personally, I think it's a cop out to believe Batman would become anything like the criminals he puts away should the situation necessitate the taking of a life. If I know a psychotic lunatic was gunning for my girlfriend or any member of my family, and the only way to permanently guarantee their safety meant this bloodthirsty mass murdering psychopath had to be put down, you can be damn sure I'd put him down.

Does not make me a murdering psychopath. It makes me a responsible caregiver, provider and protector of those I love and in loving, have sworn to protect in life.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dondasch

Death of the Family storyline entirely opens the door for writers like Gail Simone to avenge Barbara Gordon over what occurred in The Killing Joke.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sentryman555

@Super_SoldierXII said:

@sentryman555 said:

@Super_SoldierXII said:

@sentryman555 said:

@Super_SoldierXII said:

Batman's a wuss.

OK. We want to get pedantic and philosophic somewhat about this, let's do so;

I understand the ideology, and in most cases life is indeed sacrosanct (and hey, people make mistakes. It's how we learn). Despite mistakes made, some very serious mistakes, I fully believe in an individuals right to life and to make amends ...

I believe 'criminals' (what a tired term) need to be educated, shown a better way and taught to care by being cared for, more than they need to be ostracized, punished, hated and made to suffer (we're really all like 'big' kids in a very real sense). That just teaches more hate, propagates more angry responses and teaches more violence. Basic human psychology 101 (and yet still we ignore it). Let's face it, many of today's more violent criminals were shown little save violence growing up (doesn't help that such is romanticized everywhere in today's media as well).

That said, our penal system has two main goals; to reform and to protect society. When the system in place fails miserably at both (and we do in 'real life' fail miserably as well I'm afraid), and you do nothing, then you too are responsible when failing in your job costs lives.

It's like a fireman watching a house burn down whilst doing absolutely nothing. Now imagine a couple dozen people inside (men, women, children). Not cool.

It's not like I'm suggesting Batman start 'bataranging' shoplifters to death. The treatment of an individual needs to fit the crime and in so doing, to meet the need of society, and of the greater good.

Personally, I think it's a cop out to believe Batman would become anything like the criminals he puts away should the situation necessitate the taking of a life. If I know a psychotic lunatic was gunning for my girlfriend or any member of my family, and the only way to permanently guarantee their safety meant this bloodthirsty mass murdering psychopath had to be put down, you can be damn sure I'd put him down.

Does not make me a murdering psychopath. It makes me a responsible caregiver, provider and protector of those I love and in loving, have sworn to protect in life.

I'm not sure if your saying Batman just beats up the criminals or just your personal belief but i'll choose to answer it like the former. Batman doesn't just beat up the criminals he often tries giving regular robbers and such a chance to reform. An example I really like is in the Batman and Son arc, admittedly thats pre new52 but I think since its damien it still counts in continuity, Theirs a scene where Batman asks a hooker why she's still on the streets and she said she can't get a job because she's got no skills. Batman gives her a Wayne Enterprises card and says to call them for a job.

Now the main issue of Batman not killing the Joker. Even though the easier solution would be to kill the Joker, where would it end? I'm not saying the one death will make him go on a killing spree but what if he decides Two-Face is too big of a threat, then the Riddler, then regular criminals, and yes eventually even the shoplifters. You protecting your loved ones is a different situation because Batman feels he has to protect everyone. If you watched the Justice League cartoon, again I know not really cannon, they had a really good episode of an alternate universe where the Justice League did go lethal to protect everyone. Yes there was peace in the world but it wasn't REAL peace. Everyone was just afraid. Thats not what Batman wants.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.