Follow

Death of Superman

Story arc »

When the alien monster Doomsday surfaces on Earth, Superman may be the only hero powerful enough to save the planet from Doomsday's wrath. But who will save Superman from Doomsday?

Fond Memories: Death of Superman

• 62 results
    Baconator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Baconator
    @Shadowdoggy said:

" damn, 17 years? Really???? well, if hanging out here didn't do it already, I sure a sh!t feel old now  ..." 

I know exactly how you feel. Man, I don't even want to be reminded it's been that long. I remember how big it was, even here in Switzerland ( which is not exactly comic book territories) it made the news.
    DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By DanialCarroll

I've don't really like Supes, so this never really caught my attention. I'm amazed it's been 17 years though! I was 13 and in Grade 9. How time flies! I wonder if they'll do anything special for the 20-year anniversary?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Gothic Storm said:
    " @inferiorego:  Your first memories were from the Reagan administration? Alright, so doing the math... You were 11 in 1993 and that made you 5 or 6 years old at the end of the Reagan administration (I think... it's late here on the East Coast!). Wow, you must have an incredible memory!  "
    To be fair, most of my memories involve him eating jelly beans.
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By dondasch

@inferiorego  This is the comic that got me started into this wonderful little world.  I can remember how engrossing the storyline of Dan Jurgens was and was thoroughly thrilled by how Doomsday was marching toward the inevitable showdown with Superman, Superman's realization that at least one of them would have to die and all of the items in between.  Absolute love for this.

_brandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By _brandon

Jurgens has said how he constantly has people come up to him at shows and whatnot telling him that Death of Superman brought them back into reading comics and it was true for me. 

I hadnt read anything for a number of years and once that story starting coming out I got hooked again. 

Gimmick? Well, it was a way to bring people into the fold that, in my case, hasn't stopped reading since. That's really not a bad thing in my eyes. 
    RonaldBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By RonaldBryan

I still have my trade, and several of the issues. This was around the time I got my pull list from my comic shop and started collecting. I only collected Superman for about two years from here. But at the time, it was interesting, and the ending of the issue itself was pretty impactful with the fold page showing Superman collapsed dead. Of course, this was also a time I feel some shame for. Why do I have six copies of Adventures of Superman 500? One unopened, one opened, and one "regular" edition, and then again signed by Jackson Guice (he drew the back up that continued in his Superman comic). Just a few years later I was better, as I have one copy of a random issue of Excalibur signed by Casey Jones. And I have one copy of the first issue of Punisher War Journal and it has Matt Fraction telling me to die on the cover.

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Mumbles

superman never really came back to life after this. 17 years of bad superman comics

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jordanstine

I remember getting this when I was 12.   

My friend knew I loved Superman so he picked up a copy for me (along with some X-Men comics he was trying to get me into), and I remember actually feeling a little disappointed as if I was cheated out on the death of my favorite hero. 

A couple of years ago, I read a book where Superman was battling Darkseid and Mongul and coming out victorious no problem! 

Then comes some "new" guy and all of a sudden he beats Superman to death.   The end.    

I remember thinking it felt like watching the WWF where Hulk Hogan was the champion and all of a sudden comes a new guy the Undertaker and he beats up the champ and wins with championship belt, just like that!  The championship belt in this case was the Death of Superman.   

I kept thinking that Doomsday while inside his green suit, was a mutated Lex Luthor or something, and it would give Superman's death more meaningful, and I was only 12.

But I still have that comic book, complete with the black red Superman "S" bag since I also thought at that time, it was going to be worth hundreds!
    fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By fACEmelter88

It happened when I was pretty young, I saw a cover and cried.....A LOT.

pinchpaker29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By pinchpaker29

Whoa! that was 17 years ago? Man I feel so old!!!  :'(

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Baconator: 
    yeah, it was HUGE! 
    that, and when Batman was broken by Bane, which was right around the same time 
    they were such a big deal 
    and now......deaths in comics are just a joke     

they happen ALL THE TIME

@pinchpaker29:

for real! 
    I think we need to start a "This thread made us feel old" support group
    xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By xybernauts
    I remember hanging up the funeral poster in my room. It showed a large number of the DC superheroes at Superman's funeral. Some were carrying Superman's coffin. I also got the card set depicting the battle. My local comic book store would cards out of the wrapper and put the sets together including all the cards. They took out all the really good cards though. It really was an awesome battle between Superman and Doomsday.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.