No recent wiki edits to this page.
The Death Note is on of the most powerful objects in the universe, used by the Shinigami to take the lives of those who they wish. When someone is killed by the Death Note, the rest of their life is transferred to the Shinigami, and, by killing enough people, Shinigami could potentially become immortal.
Rules of the Death Note
These rules are the ones that are directly stated in the front of the Death Note.
- The human whose name is written in this note shall die.
- This note will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.
- If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the subject's name, it will happen.
- If the cause of death is not specified, the subject will simply die of a heart attack
- After writing the cause of death, the details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds (400 seconds).
These rules are ones that are implied or otherwise stated in the series, but that are not written within the pages of the Death Note. These rules were also used in the Manga at the end of each chapter, as well as dividers in the anime used for bringing the show to commercial and when it returned from commercial.
- This note shall become the property of the human world, once it touches the ground of (arrives in) the human world.
- The owner of the note can recognize the image and voice of the original owner, i.e a god of death.
- The human who uses this note can neither go to Heaven nor Hell.
- If the time of death is written within 40 seconds after writing the cause of death as a heart attack, the time of death can be manipulated, and the time can go into effect within 40 seconds after writing the name.
- The person in possession of the Death Note is possessed by a god of death, its original owner, until they die.
- If a human uses the note, a god of death usually appears in front of him/her after he/she uses the note.
- Gods of death, the original owners of the DEATH NOTE, do not do, in principle, anything which will help or prevent the deaths in the note.
- A god of death has no obligation to completely explain how to use the note or rules which will apply to the human who owns it.
- A god of death can extend his life by putting human names on the note, but humans cannot.
- The human who becomes the owner of the DEATH NOTE can, in exchange of half his/her remaining life, get the eyeballs of the god of death which will enable his/her to see a humans name and remaining lifetime when looking though them.
- A god of death cannot be killed even if stabbed in his heart with a knife or shot in the head with a gun. However, there are ways to kill a god of death, which are not generally known to the gods of death.
- The conditions for death will not be realized unless it is physically possible for that human or it is reasonably assumed to be carried out by that human.
- The specific scope of the condition for death is not known to the gods of death, either. So, you must examine and find out.
- One page taken from the DEATH NOTE, or even a fragment of the page, contains the full effects of the note.
- The instrument to write with can be anything, ((e.g. costumes, blood, etc)) as long as it can write directly onto the note and remains as legible letters.
- Even the original owners of the DEATH NOTE, gods of death, do not know much about the note.
- You may also write the cause and/or details of death prior to filling in the name of the individual. Be sure to insert the name in front of the written cause of death. You have about 19 days (according to the human calendar) in order to fill in a name.
- Even if you do not actually possess the DEATH NOTE, the effect will be the same if you can recognize the person and his/her name to place in the blank.
- The Death Note will not affect those under 780 days old.
- The Death Note will be rendered useless if the victim’s name is misspelled
- Suicide” is a valid cause of death. Basically, all humans are thought to possess the possibility to commit suicide. It is, therefore, not something “unbelievable to think of”.
- Whether the cause of the individual’s death is either a suicide or accident, if the death leads to the death of more than the intended, the person will simply die of a heart attack. This is to ensure that other lives are not influenced.
- Even after the individual’s name, the time of death, and death condition on the Death Note were filled out, the time and condition of death can be altered as many times as you want, as long as it is changed within 6 minutes and 40 seconds from the time it was filled in. But, of course, this is only possible before the victim dies.
- Whenever you want to change anything written on the Death Note within 6 minutes and 40 seconds after you wrote, you must first rule out the characters you want to erase with two straight lines.
- As you see above, the time and conditions of death can be changed, but once the victim’s name has been written, the individual’s death can never be avoided.