Follow

Deadshot

Character » Deadshot appears in 994 issues.

Deadshot is one of the world's greatest assassins, mostly known for his expert marksmanship and near perfect track record. He has been on all sides of the heroes and villains spectrum, and would do anything for his daughter. He is currently a core member of the Suicide Squad.

Know a Batman Foe: Deadshot

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Some people think Floyd Lawton, a.k.a. Deadshot, is just a dude with great aim and an epic mustache. Whether they were introduced to him in the DC Animated Universe or the Arkham video game franchise, those people probably believe he's yet another assassin with impressive accuracy. All badassery, no real story potential. Well, it turns out there's much more to the character than just his wrist gauntlets and the amazing way he styles his facial hair. I mean, those are definitely standout features, but the character has much more depth than some may expect.

No Caption Provided

Believe it or not, Deadshot didn't always have his signature mask with a red eye. When he made his debut back in BATMAN #59, he basically looked like Mr. Monopoly attempting to be a cowboy. (According to a much later issue, he's dressed as Ronald Coland from the unmade movie Raffles Goes West.) Floyd poses as Gotham's new hero, but he was really running a gang as well. Eventually, Batman uncovers the truth and places Floyd in jail. The Dark Knight stopping crime is kind of what he's known for, after all. Just like a gazillion other villains, Floyd eventually escapes prison and steps into his new (and infinitely cooler) signature outfit. He became the efficient assassin you now know, having several encounters with Batman (we'll talk about that relationship in a bit because it's very important) and he plays a substantial role when he's part of the Suicide Squad and then Secret Six.

In the New 52, he's once again a part of the Suicide Squad. I mean, the team just wouldn't feel the same without him being a part of it at one point. His future on the team is uncertain, but considering he'll appear in theaters next year, it's safe to assume DC probably has noteworthy plans for the guy. But what turned him into such a seemingly cold-hearted killing machine? The following four paragraphs (and images!) contains major spoilers from his first limited series, so skip it if you haven't read it yet and don't want big plot twists ruined!

No Caption Provided

Floyd had an older brother, Edward Robert Lawton. The kid exceled at virtually everything, was loved by many and he was nice. You'd think this would make Floyd jealous of his brother and grow to hate him, but instead he admired his brother -- he idolized him. His ridiculously wealthy parents, however, didn't have such a healthy relationship. They loathed one another and eventually, the mother convinced Edward that he should shoot and kill his father. Floyd tried to stop the brother he loves from going through with the messed up plan, but Edward locked him out of the house. Still determined to stop his brother from killing his father, Floyd grabbed a hunting rifle, climbed a tree, and took aim. As his armed brother approached their dad, Floyd aimed at Edward's arm and prepared to take the shot. He hoped to prevent anyone from dying, but right when he was ready to fire, the branch he was sitting on snapped. His bullet ended up going through his brother's head and his brother ended up shooting their father in the spine. Floyd wanted nothing more than to save the brother he worships and instead he put a bullet between the kid's eyes. If that doesn't mess someone up, I just don't know what would. Oh, and two decades later he puts his mother in a wheelchair by shooting her in the spine. We won't tell you what motivates him to finally do that, but we do strongly recommend reading the four issue limited series.

The name "Deadshot" wouldn't appear for several years after the death of his brother, but that horrible incident is the moment that molded him into the man he is today. His only rule seems to be he won't kill children. Aside from that, there seems to be no job he won't turn down. No matter how crazy or hopeless it may seem, he doesn't fear the possibility of death. In fact, he embraces it.

No Caption Provided

"If Deadshot never misses, how come Batman's still alive?" That's a good question, random reader! They've certainly encountered each other plenty of times and Floyd has seemingly let loose, but obviously, he hasn't killed the Caped Crusader in any of their battles. Does Batman's armor save him? A few times. Does Batman's stealth, tactics, and skill counter Deadshot's aim? It can. What really leads to Deadshot's defeat is the fact he pulls his shots against the hero and sometimes shoots where he knows Batman's armor will make it non-lethal. That's right, this man who has no problem killing countless targets apparently refuses to take down DC's famous hero.

Floyd may not admit it, but deep down, Batman reminds him of his brother. So yes, that means Deadshot's technically a Batman fanboy just like so many of us, except he acts way cooler about it when he's around the vigilante. Plus, I can't really picture Floyd wearing a Batman shirt. Anyway, Floyd couldn't save his brother, so he refuses to kill the one man who reminds him of the sibling he loved so much.

No Caption Provided

Deadshot's origin underwent some drastic changes in the New 52. His parents -- who were in love -- were struggling with finances and Floyd had a sister, not a brother. Instead of his family tearing itself apart, some gunmen entered the apartment right next to them and opened fire. Firing dozens of bullets at their two targets, many of the projectiles tore through the wall and went into Floyd's family. A novel saved Deadshot from a few bullets. The senseless, random, and sloppy death of his family filled him with hate, anger, and determination. He remembered the faces of those two gunmen (he saw them fleeing) and he made sure each and every bullet should mean something. If a bullet is fired, it'll hit its intended target and not stray elsewhere.

If you want to see Deadshot put his abilities as a marksman to the test, you'll want to read his second limited series. It turns out the assassin has a daughter and she's living in a not-so-great section of Star City. Floyd heads there to make sure the neighborhood is safe for her and what follows is pretty much non-stop action. He even battles Green Arrow! The story may not be as emotional or compelling as the first volume, but it makes up for that with a whole lot of jaw-dropping displays of Deadshot doing what he does best.

No Caption Provided

Aside from his two limited series, we recommend checking out his appearances in the first volume of SUICIDE SQUAD or SECRET SIX. It may not have the spectacular displays of awesome action like some of his cameos and the second volume do, but it makes up for that by delivering a strong focus on story and character. This is where his personality really gets to shine. If you can only get one issue to see if this character interests you, we recommend giving SECRET SIX #15 a read. It's pretty much one big character study and also a recap of his past.

Want to enjoy something entertaining which features Deadshot but you're not exactly in a reading mood? Batman: Assault on Arkham is what you're looking for. In a movie which features Batman, Harley Quinn, and Joker, it's Deadshot who manages to totally steal the spotlight. It's a heist movie with a ton of personality and fun, so that alone should pull you in. From Floyd's competitive and hostile relationship with Captain Boomerang to his savage fight with Joker, it really is something every Deadshot fan should watch at least once. Now I'm left wondering if Will Smith has seen it. (In case you haven't heard by now, he's playing Deadshot in David Ayer's Suicide Squad.)

No Caption Provided

Peter Parker is defined by that terrible moment with Uncle Ben. Batman is transformed by the horrific murder of his parents. Those two iconic heroes experienced huge tragedies and then did everything they could to take all of their pain and anger and turn it into something positive. Deadshot's traumatic experience made him feel nothing but numb on the inside and it's a feeling he'll never be able to shake. He's a man who wants death but it looks like the universe has other plans for him. To some, he may just be yet another villain who has a cool design and is incredibly gifted with firearms. To me, he's a tragic character who manages to amuse because of his blunt personality and stunning accuracy.

He's been broken on the inside since he was a child and he simply doesn't care anymore. Unlike so many others, he's fighting so he can die. It's just too bad for him that he's so talented and seems to keep overcoming the impossible or getting very, very lucky. He'll keep fighting and fighting until one day he gets the rest he so desperately craves. Maybe as his life begins to fade away from him in his final moments, he'll finally know what it's like to truly be happy.

No Caption Provided

Considering he plays a role in a big movie next year, the chances of him finally meeting his end doesn't seem too likely, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what DC has planned for Mr. Lawton. Maybe -- just maybe -- they'll capitalize on the attention the movie's receiving and release a third Deadshot limited series. In the meantime, we'll continue to enjoy his amusing interactions with others and his ridiculously impressive shooting. Even if his upcoming appearances aren't all that good, at least there's plenty of comics that are absolutely worth reading all over again.

No Caption Provided

Do you also like the marksman and think he's more than just a dude with solid aim? Share your thoughts with the world below.

lightntangy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By lightntangy

Love this article, Deadshot has always been one of my fav characters.

I must admit that New Suicide Squad has been disappointing after taking out both Deadshot and Deathstroke after the first few issues, i was looking forward to their potential rivalry (i love deadshot to death but deathstroke makes deadshot seem incredibly useless), hopefully post-convergence deadshot gets a bigger role in the suicide squad.

Side note: very disappointed in last weeks Arrow episode where they killed off Deadshot for no reason, made no sense to me whatsoever.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My gf told me that Deadshot is a d-lister. I'm single now....

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@k4tzm4n

Great work! don't forget Villains United either for some awesome Floyd stuff!!

His best stuff for me was definitely Secret Six. The relationships of that team were amazing.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I never liked Deadshot's arm canons and flamboyantly bright costume, but I do like his character. Good article.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Love Deadshot. He has the best facial hair in the business.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By longbowhunter

Nice write up Gregg, I'm a big Deadshot fan. Ostrander and Yale did a great job fleshing out the character in the Suicide Squad and the 4 issue mini. New 52 Floyd feels bland and like a completely different character though. I'm not holding out much hope for Will Smith's interpretation either. When I need a dose of Deadshot I reach for Copra.

No Caption Provided

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I must admit that New Suicide Squad has been disappointing after taking out both Deadshot and Deathstroke after the first few issues, i was looking forward to their potential rivalry (i love deadshot to death but deathstroke makes deadshot seem incredibly useless), hopefully post-convergence deadshot gets a bigger role in the suicide squad.

Side note: very disappointed in last weeks Arrow episode where they killed off Deadshot for no reason, made no sense to me whatsoever.

At least they did justice to the character. The flashbacks (at least to me) were emotional.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mutant God

Then again its based on comic books so not everything is at it seems

Avatar image for deactivated-57cb543b8e7f4
    deactivated-57cb543b8e7f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*sigh* Okay, I'll admit, he's pretty cool and that origin does make me feel for him a bit.

...But if you think that'll make me forgive him for using my mother like a blow-up doll, think again.

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok but Charles Rowe, the Deadshot actor from Arrow portrayed the best Deadshot.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Deadshot. One of the most underrated characters out there.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always was a fan of his.Let's put it this way, I first started reading comic books with DC New 52 and picked up Suicide Squad and that is where I was introduced to these guys. I'm pretty sure the previous stuff would be better but for new readers, New 52 Deadshot is pretty awesome. Actually, New 52 as whole is awesome. I was reading like 30 issues a month until I decided to quit them(sadly) to save money for PS4. I have gotten a couple of Future's Ends comics from my friends now and will start to read from then on.

Also, is writing your name and initials after a comment really a thing now?

ABDULLAH ZUBAIR KHAN

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Always liked Deadshot. The name I feel is a bit dated but sums him up very well. I love the ex-Army origin and him working to get his daughter like in Assault on Arkham.

His recent spotlight on Arrow was really good too, especially the flashbacks, and unfortunately very similar to stories I've seen play out in life.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I liked the previous origin better

rollingshadow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rollingshadow7

@lightntangy: I'd like to think bc that episode introduces H.I.V.E, that perhaps they recover the body and maybe give him some additional gear. But some of the actors from the show tweeting made it sound like he's done for good? Eh, I hope not. His death was rather a conclusion to his PTSD origin, along with some ridiculous plot holes as to where he was standing in regards to the building.

lightntangy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rollingshadow7: @mutant_god: hopefully its not over for him, but im worried that the actor might decide to move on from arrow, or maybe they're deciding to get rid of the suicide squad from arrow

does it seem odd that arrow is planning to release figurines of characters that are dead or have cameo appearances; i.e. deathstroke, black canary and now deadshot (looking back, i realise that deadshot only had cameos, but still)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to read that first miniseries now. Is there a trade of it?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By longbowhunter
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@xwraith: yes, it's called Deadshot: Beginnings. I'd add a hyperlink but I'm posting via my cell.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator
    Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

fascinating

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By 2cool4fun

Um, which limited series?

This one? http://www.comicvine.com/deadshot/4050-18685/

Or this one? http://www.comicvine.com/deadshot/4050-3992/

EDIT: Never mind, stupid question >_>

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

#26  Edited By StMichalofWilson

How come you didn't mention his relationship with his daughter or was that something that came later?

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ForeverMan

I bought that Deadshot miniseries back in the late 80's as a kid and it fascinated me. Much darker take on superhero comics than I had been exposed to up until then. He's been one of my favs ever since.

Also; the only real version of Floyd has a mustache.

cylonempress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cylonempress

Okkie so they reference Lawton's amazing 'stache but there is no picture!?!!

but yeah I definitely want to read more about the Batman/Deadshot relationship

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

OOOOO calm down mate!! LOL

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 707

#30 Guru_Crack  Online

Loved Deadshot in Suicide Squad, was good in Secret Six and ok in Arrow the series.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@lightntangy: Honestly, I just want him back in the secret six, I have still to read the 36 issue series ( I'm gonna get there soon tho ), but I read the 6 issue limited series ( villains united ) and I loved him & I especially loved his rivalry turned into friendship with Catman. I think his skills are better used there instead of the Suicide Squad.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sweet article! Deadshot has always been one of my favorite characters.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

no mention of his daughter?

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightntangy: they said they could not use him again because of the upcoming film.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@perfect_10 said:

no mention of his daughter?

@stmichalofwilson said:

How come you didn't mention his relationship with his daughter or was that something that came later?

9th paragraph! I gave away so much of the first volume in the article, so I only wanted to address a few selling points of volume two.

To all of the kind words: Thanks! I really had a good time writing this one.

mikeg1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool Character, but one of the silliest Origin Tales I've ever heard of.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lmao. Damn her.

WizardofSmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lightntangy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wizardofsmiles: ofc but they had no reason to do it though which is what worries me. At least it was onscreen, unlike bronze tiger #deadshotlives

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeg1965: Are you talking about the pre 52 origin story or the new 52 version ? The pre 52 version of the story in my opinion is very intriguing and puts in retrospect some of the reasons deadshot behaves the way he does with disobedience, indifference, being a loner etc. You can sympathise with Floyd in that origin story I think but the new 52 version I detest whole heartedly. I don't see why they would re write his origin story to have his family killed off by bullets that weren't meant for them resulting in him swearing to always hit his target so no one has to go through that, starts sounding like a batman-esque storyline and diminishes his character which is what makes him so interesting. He wouldn't be as much of a dark character without the guilt and feeling of worthlessness, but even still the writers continued to use the whole death wish suicidal no respect for life attitude despite changing his origin even tho that big of a change would probably change his character. I'm happy the personality of the character hasn't changed in the new 52 (not that I know of) despite the backstory alteration but I see that change as tarnishing deadshot's character, but that's just me lol.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: This is why you are the king of street.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
    rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

@k4tzm4n: Please don't do anything like this to Rocket. I'll make it. :-D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.