Deadshot in Batman 3? (My follow-up to inferiorego's article)

#1 Edited by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio

Inferiorego recently wrote an  article about the possibility of Black Mask being the main villain in the upcoming Batman film.  I completely agree with him that Black Mask would not only make an excellent villain for Nolan's established universe, but he'd also be a perfect follow up to the conclusion of The Dark Knight.  But every crime lord has his right hand man.  The Kingpin has Lady Bullseye, The Red Skull has Crossbones, Joker has Harley Quinn, so on and so on.  So, who can stand beside The Black Mask and be the primary threat to Bruce Wayne in Batman 3? Deadshot, that's who.   

He already fits the bill.  He's been a hired gun for the majority of his appearances, and with his near-flawless accuracy, he'd be the best man for the job in Black Mask's eyes.  While Deadshot might not be considered a Batman villain, he's had numerous encounters with Wayne, definitely more than enough to justify having a role in a movie.  He even appeared in the animated movie Gotham Knight as a hired gun.  To top it all off, he's a realistic villain, making it an easy translation into the films.  He's merely a man with good accuracy.  His costume? Of course it wouldn't translate well to the big screen, but it can be simplified with some kevlar, pistols, a trench coat (as in Deadshot Vol. 2) and a mask with a basic targeting system installed. 

But now we have to dive into the question of how would they treat Deadshot?  Would he be like his comic counter-part who purposely pulls his shots against the Dark Knight, or would be be a blood-thirsty gunman who won't hesitate to take down Gotham City's biggest challenger?  Personally, I think it would be easy to have Deadshot pull his shots without diving into his complex back-story which explains why.  After all, this could be Deadshot's biggest challenge, so maybe he'd want to enjoy the challenge, such as villains often do with their heroes.  Then on the other hand, we can ignore that aspect and just assume Batman's stealth, armor, and gadgets will allow him overcome Deadshot.  Either are perfectly acceptable to me.  There's no real need to dive into his origin or give him his own side plot.  I think all of his actions should be dictated by Black Mask's order until his final encounter with the Bat.  By doing this, the movie would avoid the same mistakes Spider-Man 3 made with it's villains. And in the end, it always leaves him open for future roles in the franchise, since he likely wouldn't die.

Every blockbuster needs its major fight scenes.  Sure, a movie involving Black Mask can be loaded with Batman beating up thugs and falling for traps, but it would be missing that "big showdown" element.  I think Deadshot is the man for that job.  Agree? Disagree? Discuss! 

#2 Edited by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
I like this line of thinking and, as a fan of Deadshot, I'd obviously want to see him making an appearance.
#3 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_:
Thanks. Glad to see it makes some sense :)
#4 Edited by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:

" @Morpheus_: Thanks. Glad to see it makes some sense :) "

As you said, Deadshot is a very down to Earth character without extravagant powers. And also a character both with a set of abilities that could aneable him to pose a threat to Batman as well as a rich personality and backstory that could offer for emotional investment to the character. He'd be a good match for Nolan's universe.
#5 Posted by ComicMan24 (147115 posts) - - Show Bio

He could very easily appear in the movies and he wouldn't be a bad choice.

#6 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

He should totally rock his ballin OG costume 
#7 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus:
LOL.  Exactly why I said they wouldn't have to dive into his origin / back story ;)
#8 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"
 He should totally rock his ballin OG costume 
"
LOL.
#9 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio

Any other thoughts?
#10 Edited by Jake Fury (19172 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: I didn't see the Smallville episode but a friend who's a non-DC fan said she really enjoyed his episode. 
#11 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury:
I forgot about that! I don't watch the show, but I remember hearing he was on it.
#12 Posted by Jake Fury (19172 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: I think he's a fine choice for a Bat film. 
#13 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury:
Just found a tribute video for his appearance on Smallville.  Looks like they went for his classic look, but gave it a more old western vibe and included the headgear. 

#14 Posted by Jake Fury (19172 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: I think he's a fine choice for a Bat film.  

#15 Posted by ComicMan24 (147115 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: @k4tzm4n: He wasn't bad although he looked more like a cowboy.  This is the best pic I could find, sorry.

#16 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24:
@Jake Fury:
Not really sure why they picked Deadshot for Smallville, though.  lol
#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91365 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
" @k4tzm4n: I think he's a fine choice for a Bat film.  

"
Awesome!!!
#18 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:
O rly? Can't say I'm a fan of the "wild wild west Deadshot"...Unless it's this: 

#19 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio

How do you guys think his personality would be treated? Would he pull his shots in the movies, and if so, why? Or would Batman just be too damn good for him to take down?
#20 Edited by brc2000 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't watched  Batman: Gotham Knight  but his personality might be similar to that.

Not only do i agree that Deadshot could be in the film, I want him to be in the film. Easily one of my top 5 villains.

#21 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@brc2000:
His appearance was alright in GK.  It didn't really dive into his personality, but he had some impressive accuracy feats.
#22 Posted by Edamame (28394 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this idea, and it fits perfectly with the idea that Gotham City is intent on hunting down Batman.

#23 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:
Thank you.
#24 Posted by Edamame (28394 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:
" @Edamame: Thank you. "
LOL You're welcome.  Would it be a bad idea for Deadshot to be working for Black Mask? That might be too much for a Batman film.  What about Hush?
#25 Edited by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:
Hush is unlikely, since his plot involves a variety of villains, and Nolan hasn't introduced enough this soon into the franchise.  I don't see any reason why Deadshot working for Black Mask would be a bad idea.  Black Mask is a crime lord who has men working for him.  Deadshot is often portrayed as a gun for hire.  After all, he's done "body guard" work before (the scan I used in my article).  Plus, like I said in my article, it won't suffer from Spider-Man 3's mistakes.  Deadshot would essentially be a secondary character, almost like Bullseye in Daredevil (except the film would be of much greater quality, of course LOL).
#26 Posted by Edamame (28394 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, then I believe that it would be wise to include Deadshot as Black Mask's subordinate.  This will be the last Batman film that we see from Nolan. So why not raise the stakes? I personally think that the Riddler would appear to be too similar to the Joker.

#27 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:
I agree with the Riddler being a bit too familiar after we've had the Joker, but I'm afraid he's the likely candidate.
#28 Posted by Edamame (28394 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:
" @Edamame:
I agree with the Riddler being a bit too familiar after we've had the Joker, but I'm afraid he's the likely candidate. "
GRRRR. LOL

Well, there is nothing we can do to change that, I guess. I wish I could have seen more Scarecrow and Mr. Zsasz. 
#29 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:
No matter what the choice, Nolan has done an amazing job with each.  Even if he does take the obvious choice and pick the Riddler, I'm sure it'll be a great movie.  I think we've seen plenty of Scarecrow, but IIRC, Zsasz was let loose at the end of Batman Begins.  So, there's always the potential for another appearance from him.
#30 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

THANK YOU!  THANK YOU VERY MUCH! 

This is exactly what my first thought was.  Deadshot would be excellent when played by Tom Hardy and directed by Christopher Nolan.  However, they would have to keep his suicidal tendencies intact.

#31 Posted by Edamame (28394 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:
" @Edamame:
No matter what the choice, Nolan has done an amazing job with each.  Even if he does take the obvious choice and pick the Riddler, I'm sure it'll be a great movie.  I think we've seen plenty of Scarecrow, but IIRC, Zsasz was let loose at the end of Batman Begins.  So, there's always the potential for another appearance from him. "
That is correct. Mr. Zsasz was let loose, after Ras al Ghul and his subordinates let them all free. He had that big cut on his neck. Remember that?  I think they were stitches. 
#32 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: 
Yup. 

@jakob187:

Glad to hear it.  However, I don't believe Floyd is in fact suicidal, but instead doesn't care about dying in action. 

#33 Posted by mrtrickster (2307 posts) - - Show Bio

good idea man, love deadshot, he should play along with riddler and catwoman in the movie, it would be interesting

i wish Ventriloquist could be in batman movie because he's my favorite character. but he's not that interesting character for most people.

#34 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@mrtrickster:
Thank you.  How would he fit in with Riddler and Catwoman?
#35 Posted by brc2000 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I've mentioned it before, but I doubt mainstream audiences would buy into the whole concept of Scarface. However, if anyone can make it work, it's Nolan.

#36 Posted by k4tzm4n (51181 posts) - - Show Bio
@brc2000:
I actually agree.  Scarface isn't a far-fetched concept... However, I don't think he'd be a likely option.
#37 Posted by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n:
Do you know any good BATMAN TPB with Deadshot as a villain? 

Deadshot would be awesome in the movie, but I don't know if Nolan would use him. If Black Mask is there he stands a very good chance of getting in.
#38 Posted by ecm1285 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the idea.  Who do you think could play a good Deadshot?

#39 Posted by Edamame (28394 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: Any thoughts on this thread?

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/master-chief-vs-omega-red/580435/#38

Sorry for digressing from the main topic at hand.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.