k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Have you ever wanted to see Deadpool and Crossbones punch each other into oblivion? Yes? Well, this issue is for you, my fellow action junkie! Co-writers Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn continue to develop Deadpool, but the vast majority of this issue is a brawl that feels practically tailor-made for our "Best Battles in New Comics" weekly feature. Both characters are given due respect and laughs are delivered without ever making the fight feel too ridiculous. Okay, so maybe Crossbones is in his tighty whities for most of the fight, but it's still a seriously badass and insanely amusing melee.

Just like with the other issues in this story, Duggan and Posehn create a comic that's able to smoothly juggle quite a few tones. Yes, it's primarily a brutal hand-to-hand fight, but they're still able to work in a little more depth for Wade, some much appreciated comedy (mostly slapstick and one bit at an airport, but there's more than a few awesome lines as well) and just the right amount of darkness. It definitely feels like a swift ending because all of the key elements are brought into this one street fight, but despite that, it's still a ridiculously fun time and still successfully develops the Merc with a Mouth.

Artist Mike Hawthorne and colorist Jordie Bellaire continue to deliver some mighty fine pages in this volume. I mean, they made Crossbones look frightening while he's sporting just undies and a mask... that's pretty impressive, yeah? But really, this art team is such an excellent match for Duggan/Posehn's script. The characters are animated, the action has a great flow to it, and some of the expressions these characters make are absolutely priceless. Whatever the co-writers put in the script, these two are able to bring it to life with just the right touch.

The Bad

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but I was left a little confused with some of Deadpool's decisions. For example, he seems like he wants to fight Crossbones in the bar and then, moments later, says he doesn't (this is before he thinks death via street meat vendor isn't good enough). And, in the end, he says he's going to become better person but then murders a bird. Sure, I get the message was nobody can mess with him, but I thought the point was he's going to solve his problems without killing? Don't get me wrong, I laughed at it, but it's not the best way to start his new path. Lastly, I can imagine my fellow Sabretooth fans screaming about how he was downplayed and such ("he wouldn't be intimidated by Wade! Rabble, rabble, rabble!") -- and I am a little disappointed he never played a role --but come on, that gag was hysterical.

The Verdict

I'll be honest, the fact that I love a good fight and have always thought Crossbones vs. Deadpool is loaded with potential is playing a decent role here. If you're not the biggest fan of action, you may not be as enthusiastic as I am about this one. But even if you cast aside the punches and kicks, it's still an issue that does a terrific job diving into Deadpool's character while also offering some big laughs. To make matters even better, Duggan and Posehn are quickly yet effective able to wrap up the story and give Wade a bit more depth. Plus, with a teaser like "time-traveling Hitler" how can you not want to buy the next issue?

Deadpool fans, this is yet another must-read story arc by Duggan and Posehn. Opinions may have been mixed when they first kicked off the volume, but since then, they've absolutely proved they're the perfect fit for the Merc with a Mouth. Funny, badass, and a character-driven story... what's not to love?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This issue was hilarious

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Since I have to wait a few days for this and I must know know.. could you just tell me if it sets up for the wedding at all?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill It doesn;'t rreally set up the wedding.The epilogue just shows Dracula with some chick who recommends Deadpool to him. Setting up Deadpool: The Gauntlet

Avatar image for ultimastarkiller
    UltimaStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UltimaStarkiller

@dagmar_merrill: Sorry to disappoint, but it's more of a lead-in to Deadpool's already-in-progress Infinite Comics series, "The Gauntlet". So unless the next issue with Cable and Deadpool fighting Hitler somehow leads into his wedding, you're really only going to see that buildup in "The Gauntlet", which although I personally recommend reading even if you aren't a fan of digital comics (this is coming from a guy that feels that way, btw), yeah, chances are the wedding is going to wind up feeling more "out of left field" for those who aren't reading that series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: @ultimastarkiller: I'm waiting for Gauntlet for when it comes out in print. Hopefully soon. Thanks for the answers though!

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By murderpool

Idk katzman. I think even if I was sabretooth and I rounded a corner to see deadpool doing what he was doing id have reacted the same way. That was spooky wade.

It prolly didn't help that crossbones was in his undies and mr Wilson is known for being a psycho with a penchant for "deviant" behaviors.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Sabretooth bit had me doubled over laughing.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another fantastic and funny issue. Something I find a bit odd though, why did Marvel put the #1 on this issue, the last of the arc? Seems it would have been better placed on the next issue, or even the one after next. At least they had some fun with it with the "I think tacos are #1".

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Another fantastic and funny issue. Something I find a bit odd though, why did Marvel put the #1 on this issue, the last of the arc? Seems it would have been better placed on the next issue, or even the one after next. At least they had some fun with it with the "I think tacos are #1".

The #1 slapped on the cover is just a joke because so many things are being relaunched, the real number (#25) is in the lower right.

Idk katzman. I think even if I was sabretooth and I rounded a corner to see deadpool doing what he was doing id have reacted the same way. That was spooky wade.

It prolly didn't help that crossbones was in his undies and mr Wilson is known for being a psycho with a penchant for "deviant" behaviors.

Like I said in the review, I'm fine with it because it was comedy gold. But come on, we're talking about a guy who regularly has the brass to piss off Wolverine ;)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The sabertooth Gag was just.....awesome.

I nearly lost it.

Happy to see people appreciate the joke and aren't raging that Sabretooth didn't play a bigger role.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Sorry to disappoint, but it's more of a lead-in to Deadpool's already-in-progress Infinite Comics series, "The Gauntlet". So unless the next issue with Cable and Deadpool fighting Hitler somehow leads into his wedding, you're really only going to see that buildup in "The Gauntlet", which although I personally recommend reading even if you aren't a fan of digital comics (this is coming from a guy that feels that way, btw), yeah, chances are the wedding is going to wind up feeling more "out of left field" for those who aren't reading that series.

Oh and the Deadpool and Cable issue probably doesn't have anything to do with the wedding as it leads to when Deadpool goes on vacation in Wakanda.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.