Yuk Yuk Time for New Deadpool Series?

#1 Posted by charlespdk (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious as to people's reaction to the new series. While Deadpool himself seems to be a little better off, I'm pretty disappointed in the ridiculousness of the whole thing which felt more akin to something from Vertigo than Marvel except that in a Vertigo comic the dead presidents would actually provide some social commentary or have some purpose other than to just spew out presidential related humor ("Who dares veto the eternal rest of Harry S. Truman?" or Kennedy and Washington carrying on about Kennedy's affairs) and to just generally be the 'bad guys' of the story. Also, why do I get 6 pages of boring people doing boring things that almost make me throw the book away before we actually see Deadpool? Is this a series about Deadpool or about dead presidents?

I guess I just miss when Deadpool had things to say other than clever one-liners and pop culture references. For sharts and gaggles, I went back to look at Pools' other first issues from 97', Cable & Deadpool, and Way's run. The elements from both Kelly and Nicieza's opening stories is the immediate introduction of a moral dilemma or character developing situation for Deadpool. With Kelly it's Pool risking his life (kinda) to fix the radiation core and the introduction of the good guy/bad guy theme of the book in his conversation with Sasquatch. Nicieza brings in the One World Church which leads Pool to reconsider his mercenary ways in favor of this church who could 'cure' his ugly mug. Two stories which right off the bat offer a glimpse into Pool's psyche while still establishing him as a funny, crazy, bad ass character. Way, of course, just introduces a story that establishes his organized madness strategy and breaks down into little more than a wild goose chase for him to get his money from Osborne which ends in the GREATEST OF CLIMAXES over a year later when he steals Osborne's credit card and gets a million dollars out of an ATM. Funny, but not exactly high level story telling.

What are we learning about Deadpool from this presidents story aside from Saturday morning cartoon presidential trivia? What character defining choices is he going to have to make and will they be interesting or worthwhile? I'm just afraid this new series is just going to be a joke series with a lot silly, gratuitous violence. As poorly as he did it, at least Way tried to work in some character development into the series, but I just don't see how that sort of stuff will fit in with a world of kitty spewing Reptars. Hell, even Rick Remender finds time to do some character analysis with Wade that outshines anything done with the character in the past 6 years and he has an entire team to write.

Anyway, that's my rant. Are you liking the new series? Do you miss the voices? I can imagine people who became fans of Way's run enjoying this new series just as much but I may be wrong.

#2 Posted by charlespdk (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Just wanted to quickly add that I do love Moore's art in the new books and appreciate a new look to Deadpool which has grown stale as of late. Not to mention the return of the thigh pouches!

#3 Posted by The Lobster (1526 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the series, it's been a while since a Deadpool book has come out that's been worth reading and has good writing....and thank god the voices are gone. Good-freakin-riddance.
 
But I agree that this arc just seems to be for s#!ts and giggles. Although Gerry has already said that the arc after this will be a lot more dark and actually examine the character. So it just sounds like they wanted to get the fun arc out of the way before they got serious.  Which makes sense. Introduce Deadpool's fun side for new readers, then drift towards his darker side.
 
One or two mindless arcs meant for fun are okay, just as long as they do some serious character driven arcs every now and then or actually evolve the character and make him more than just a walking talking punchline.

Online
#4 Posted by 244 (499 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Deadpool was mant to be taken seriously originally. To me, he seemed like a satire of the whole 90's anti-hero thing.

#5 Posted by The Lobster (1526 posts) - - Show Bio
@244 said:

I don't think Deadpool was mant to be taken seriously originally. To me, he seemed like a satire of the whole 90's anti-hero thing.

I kind of agree, but also disagree. 
 
Deadpool may be a satire or a character than spawned out of a parody, But even at the start he was written as a character. Although he was just a bad ass who liked to joke around.....not much of a character but still a character. He eventually evolved into something so much more. Joe Kelly took this character who was a basically just a bad ass mercenary who liked to talk a lot and actually made him into one of the best comic book characters I have ever read. 
 
To me, his run is a masterpiece, the most underrated stuff in comics. The way he walks the tight line between dark and brooding to funny and quirky is a feat that most writers can't do. The fact that the character was a mentally ill scumbag who locked blind old ladies into a dark room full of sharp objects, yet you still kind of liked him or at least understood why he did it. Deadpool would do some very dark stuff in his run, yet no matter what you liked him. Then to see Deadpool try to better himself by becoming a hero and stop killing, was masterfully done. Joe Kelly created this character, and it's a dang good one. If you haven't read it, please do....you won't regret it. 
 
Then.....Daniel Way came along. His run isn't bad, and he doesn't write Deadpool like he's not a character. There are moments where he dives into Deadpool as a character....but he also screwed the character up royally. But I won't go into a rant about that, I've done so on this website enough as it is.  Long story short, it seems like they had a great character and took ONE BIG GIANT step back to the point where Deadpool isn't as interesting as he once was. Rick Remender had moments where he captured what made the character great, but it just wasn't enough. 
 
Deadpool may have started off as a parody of Deathstroke, but he evolved into something so much more. He became one of the best comic book characters I've ever read. Then Marvel took one big giant step back and almost....actually not almost, they did indeed take away what made him a great character. Now he's just a shell of what he once was, a shadow almost.
Online
#6 Posted by charlespdk (32 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster said:

Although Gerry has already said that the arc after this will be a lot more dark and actually examine the character. So it just sounds like they wanted to get the fun arc out of the way before they got serious. Which makes sense. Introduce Deadpool's fun side for new readers, then drift towards his darker side.

I'm glad to hear it and looking forward to it, though I can't deny the trepidation I feel about it still. And I totally agree about Kelly's run though I would go far back as Niceiza's Circle Chase as to when Wade really started being fleshed out as a character rather than a throwaway villain. Even Mark Waid's limited series got into the good guy/bad guy stuff. I'd say the start of Deadpool's weak writing started right with Priest and went steadily downhill until Gail Simone. Who has the nerve to just jump onto a title after an amazing wrap up to an intense origin story and then just start screwing with the origin right off the bat? Deadpool will always be psycho Jack to me. Have you ever read Kelly's I Kill Giants? A beautiful little series and you can see why he was probably attracted to Deadpool (even though this series came way after).

Also, I think Deadpool sort of walks the line between parody and rip-off considering he was created by one of the chief offenders of everything that was wrong with comics in the 90's. I love that that's part of his real world origins. A rip-off weapon x facility, rip-off powers, rip-off design so that his identity is skewed and messed up in real life and in the books.

#7 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue 1 felt more fresh and interesting than issue 2 for me. I agree that Moore should be signed on for the long-haul though. I think his art is perfect for a Deadpool series.

#8 Posted by The Lobster (1526 posts) - - Show Bio
@charlespdk said:

@The Lobster said:

Although Gerry has already said that the arc after this will be a lot more dark and actually examine the character. So it just sounds like they wanted to get the fun arc out of the way before they got serious. Which makes sense. Introduce Deadpool's fun side for new readers, then drift towards his darker side.

I'm glad to hear it and looking forward to it, though I can't deny the trepidation I feel about it still. And I totally agree about Kelly's run though I would go far back as Niceiza's Circle Chase as to when Wade really started being fleshed out as a character rather than a throwaway villain. Even Mark Waid's limited series got into the good guy/bad guy stuff. I'd say the start of Deadpool's weak writing started right with Priest and went steadily downhill until Gail Simone. Who has the nerve to just jump onto a title after an amazing wrap up to an intense origin story and then just start screwing with the origin right off the bat? Deadpool will always be psycho Jack to me. Have you ever read Kelly's I Kill Giants? A beautiful little series and you can see why he was probably attracted to Deadpool (even though this series came way after).

Also, I think Deadpool sort of walks the line between parody and rip-off considering he was created by one of the chief offenders of everything that was wrong with comics in the 90's. I love that that's part of his real world origins. A rip-off weapon x facility, rip-off powers, rip-off design so that his identity is skewed and messed up in real life and in the books.

I have indeed read I Kill Giants, it's one of my favorite independent stories ever. 
 
The Circle Chase didn't have much character development, although I do agree Mark Waid's little series did a decent job tackling him as a character and trying to have him grow. They just fail in comparison to the awesomeness of Joe Kelly. 
 
Priest was okay, and Gail Simone ( while I agree with what you said ) wasn't that bad. She did a better job than those that came before.  
Online

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.