Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Which Deadpool Origin do you prefer?

Avatar image for capo_del_bandito
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito

Since Nicezia said it's up to the current writer of whatever series Deadpool is in, i'm curious as to which Deadpool origin people prefer:

Wade Wilson, schoolteacher, married man, victim of T-Ray's evil and then loses his mind and goes merc?

Or Jack/Wade Wilson army washout turned so-so merc, who commits manslaughter and loses his marbles?

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DEADPOOL

I think the second one was always his origin, the first one apparently never happened. See in Cable & Deadpool, while fighting T-Ray, he realized a glaring hole in T-Ray's story... he never became "Deadpool" until after he left Weapon-X, but T-Ray's story happened before Weapon-X.

Still a pretty big mystery between them though...

P.S. I think #2 is over simplified, lol.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Whichever one that has the least variants.

Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @DEADPOOL: They're both simplified.

The only thing that I didn't care for (besides over-complicating the origin) was that he chalked it all up to magic. 

But it still doesn't make sense because "Wade Wilson" was the name used by a guy who was a schoolteacher, got married and Mercedes Wilson was his wife and was killed by someone else. Whether it was really Deadpool or not *shrug*.

If Nicezia had addressed what the deal was with Mercedes and the whole Cabin deal.

Supposedly though, Deadpool didn't have that costume, but whether he did or not, he was there, and he remembered parts of Mercedes life, but that, the whole cabin situation/murder/etc was left up in the air because...well I dunno why it was ignored.

Personally I think origin #2 would be more dramatic/story worthy: washout/merc does something heinous, and it would explain why he tries so hard to do the good guy thing sometimes.
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MrMiracle77

I like the Ulitmate Alliance origin, in which he gets persecuted for being bombarded with radioactive spiders.

rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rey

I prefer the whole Wade Wilson was a Merc extraordinaire, who gets hit with cancer and Weapon X promises to cure his cancer with Wolverines Healing Factor as well for payment for his services....the experiment goes messed up disfigures wade, messed up his brain as well and thus he is put into "THE DEADPOOL" where he eventually escapes and becomes the DEADPOOL we all know and love....preferably the deadpool in his first and second mini series and Kellys deadpool ;)

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @Capo_Del_Bandito said:
    " @DEADPOOL: They're both simplified.  The only thing that I didn't care for (besides over-complicating the origin) was that he chalked it all up to magic.   But it still doesn't make sense because "Wade Wilson" was the name used by a guy who was a schoolteacher, got married and Mercedes Wilson was his wife and was killed by someone else. Whether it was really Deadpool or not *shrug*.  If Nicezia had addressed what the deal was with Mercedes and the whole Cabin deal.  Supposedly though, Deadpool didn't have that costume, but whether he did or not, he was there, and he remembered parts of Mercedes life, but that, the whole cabin situation/murder/etc was left up in the air because...well I dunno why it was ignored.  Personally I think origin #2 would be more dramatic/story worthy: washout/merc does something heinous, and it would explain why he tries so hard to do the good guy thing sometimes. "
    It's true that Deadpool didn't have the costume or moniker when that supposedly happened, but that's how T-Ray "remembered" it however it couldn't had happened. It's true that Deadpool did remember those things, but it could had been T-Ray screwing with him or the two could be being manipulated by someone else. Deadpool's real name is also "Wade Winston Wilson" so does that mean T-Ray also happens to be named Wade Wilson or... hell, maybe T-Ray was the mercenary and Deadpool was the teacher. It's really hard to say and I hope it gets cleared up. It's like Deadpool's own version of the Clone Saga, lol.
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @DEADPOOL: Eh, the costume/wade wilson bit can be chalked up to 'messed up memories' that Nicezia summoned up out of nowhere and then cleared up but now are back for Way's run.

Of course, neither origin makes sense because of the inconsistencies and Nicezia even confronted that by the end of the series saying it's up to the writer, meaning there is no definite. I'm just trying to gauge people's preferences out of curiosity. 

Deadpool could be lying about his name, or forgot that he had a costume like that. There's no way to tell for sure until it's handled. The memory bit is faulty because he does remember Mercedes, but he also remembers not having the costume, complete jibberish all around.
    AgentOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By AgentOrange
    @Capo_Del_Bandito:  It's got to be the  mouthy sarcastic ex soldier wrung out for disrespecting the military when he see's advert on the late night shopping channel for dangerous military experiment in up an coming super soldier program needs volunteers for possibility of facial mutation and extreme insanity previous, experience in torturing small animals necessary
    Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

There was already a thread about this but who cares?

Here's what I said there.

I recently have been having this great debate on Deadpoolbugle.com (great site) about the whole Wade Wilson issue.

Obviously Joe Kelly intended Deadpool to have stolen the identity. But Fabian kinda came in in completely negated that. It could always be negated back if another writer felt it was appropriate "it's depends on who's writing" after all.

But my question is this: Which history do you like better?

Wade Wilson escaping his violent life and upbringing from a violent father, going to college and falling in love with the girl of his dreams only to have it torn away from him by a nut job losing his mind and going back to his roots and becoming a mercenary. Eventually only to run into the man who took everything from him and that man keeps reappearing in his life.

Or

Jack comes from the same violent upbringing but instead doesn't get away from it with his father's death. He joins the military but gets court marshaled due to unknown reasons. He goes into hiding taking on new personas every now and then. Eventually finding Wade Wilson and his beautiful wife and kills them both (the wife on accident). Due to this he decides to take that name and stick with it. Only to be tormented by his sins of the past when the man he killed returns from the dead to seek vengance.

Both can explaine certain parts of his personality.

If we go the Wade Wilson route he becomes more sympathetic. He need to belong and his heroic tendancies are more obvious. But if we go the Jack route his almost inabaility to trust thoughs around him and his killer instinct and weaposn training is more easily explained.

Also with the Jack route his whole Japan history makes a lot more sense but then again other parts of his history is more easily explained with the Wade Wilson route.

Any inconsistencies either way can be explained due to his brain being messed up but also by the psychological phenomenon of the false information effect. Have you ever heard the concept of someone telling a lie so many times they forget it's not true?

I don't know, I really liked this debate and wanted to open it up to more people. What do you think? And I rather not have flame fest s here I just thought it might be fun to share our thoughts on this issue. If someone doesn't agree however you don't need to make it an attack.

Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @Abnormally Warm Guy: 

Hmm. I didn't know there was already a thread, but i'm still just poking around here. 

I have to admit I kinda forgot about that the 'lie repeated enough times' thing. I'm pretty sure T-Ray brought that up as well. 

I kinda see where you're going with the sympathy aspect. I didn't take into consideration some people might be turned off by the fact that he wasn't a noble guy to start out. In one way or another, he *was* a street punk, so there's that. 

I think for dramatic storytelling purposes Jack might make (if written properly) a more entertaining read. The lying to himself, the guilt, the starting cycle of self loathing.
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12  Edited By The Lobster

I liked it better when he stole the identity, it added more mystery to his character's background. Thanks to Cable and Deadpool and Fabian, we're not sure who is right and what to believe. 

Here's how I think it went though...

1) He was born in Canada by his mom and the dad he met in the bar.
    2) His mom and dad were separated when he was at a young age. 
    3) Him and his mom moved to the USA where his mom met the dad that was shot in a barfight.  
    4) His mom died from cancer
    5) He was stuck with his abusive US military dad. 
    6) His dad was shot in a bar fight.  
    7) He joined the military
    8) Gets court marshaled 
    9) He goes into hiding and starts taking on new personas every time in order to stay hidden. 
    10)  Finds Wade Wilson and his wife and kills them both, and takes that name and stick with it

That's how I think it went, how I want it to go, and I'm sticking to it.

Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Suigetsu

All the daniel way s***t doesnt count, so only the stuff that was written by Kelly, Gail Simon and nicieza counts.

screw danile **** way,.

Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @Suigetsu: Well the problem with that is Nicezia kinda fucked up a lot too, that's why I was gauging which one/ones people preferred more. 

@The Lobster : I dunno military uniforms, is there a way to tell based on the uniform the officer dad in Deadpool's flashback in C&DP #19 if it was American or Canadian?
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito

You know, something I didn't consider until just now: What if T-Ray *is* somewhat insane and imagined just the Wade Wilson bit, and Deadpool always was Wade Wilson, but he *did* kill murder a married couple in the woods?

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16  Edited By The Lobster
    @Capo_Del_Bandito: Maybe not but he did say he was from Ohio or something like that, so it's safe to assume that his abusive dead father was American.
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capo_Del_Bandito: In Cable Deadpool 19 he says "I'm  boy from Ohio". And That definitely was an American uniform with the medals he had unless he was a Canadian officer who was decorated with honors for helping the U.S... does it work that way? I don't know.

@Suigetsu:
    Hey, don't pull a Daniel Way and just refuse to acknowledge cannon. His stuff really hasn't changed any origin stuff anyway.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

None.

Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @Abnormally Warm Guy said:
    " @Capo_Del_Bandito: In Cable Deadpool 19 he says "I'm  boy from Ohio". And That definitely was an American uniform with the medals he had unless he was a Canadian officer who was decorated with honors for helping the U.S... does it work that way? I don't know.

@Suigetsu: Hey, don't pull a Daniel Way and just refuse to acknowledge cannon. His stuff really hasn't changed any origin stuff anyway. "
    To be fair, he made his dad *look* like a blue collar jackass (I don't remember seeing a uniform on his dad) in Wolverine: Origins.
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes but we do see his father in unifrom in Cable and Deadpool .

Delta Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Delta Red

@rey said:

"I prefer the whole Wade Wilson was a Merc extraordinaire, who gets hit with cancer and Weapon X promises to cure his cancer with Wolverines Healing Factor as well for payment for his services....the experiment goes messed up disfigures wade, messed up his brain as well and thus he is put into "THE DEADPOOL" where he eventually escapes and becomes the DEADPOOL we all know and love....preferably the deadpool in his first and second mini series and Kellys deadpool ;) "

This is the story i prefer too. 
    I hope Way doesn't try to make a new origin and ends messing things up.
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @Abnormally Warm Guy: And then Way made him a drinking blue collar jackass
    Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Suigetsu

well honestly I think that Patric zircher drew Wades dad like that because he had no idea how a canadian general dressedlike.

To me wades story was the one told by nicieza, Daniel way doesnt count. He sucks at telling stories and I dont buy he's BS.
    Ill will write some comics for marvel one day, and I think Ill do a deadpool origins one shot one day. Using the stuff by Nicieza and Joe kelly and screwing daniel way.

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#24  Edited By HaloKing343

Who is Deadpool?

Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HaloKing343: I think it's some game? I don't know.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.