Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Where should I start reading Deadpool?

SameStory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SameStory

I've watched all of the x-men movies and the animated tv show (back in the day), I'm currently reading Astonishing x-men and Wolverine and the x-men, plus Avengers Vs. X-men.

That's my comic book background, where should I start reading about Deadpool?

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Redberry

I recommend you to read Deadpool and Cable, so you have someone you know with from the X-men while you familiarize yourself with the character Deadpool. The character Deadpool is pretty hilarious in that book. Afterward, you can try his v1 ongoing series. It takes about where he got his immortality and how he went from a villain to an anti-hero.

SupahForeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By SupahForeigner

@Redberry said:

I recommend you to read Deadpool and Cable, so you have someone you know with from the X-men while you familiarize yourself with the character Deadpool. The character Deadpool is pretty hilarious in that book. Afterward, you can try his v1 ongoing series. It takes about where he got his immortality and how he went from a villain to an anti-hero.

This.

If you're someone who enjoys comic books which aren't to serious and don't mind having some humour then you'll love Deadpool. Another series you could try is X-Force which Deadpool is a part of. Doesn't go into much detail about Deadpool but it's a good introduction to Deadpool along with some other familiar faces from X-men. Hope this helped :D

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By RoboShark

Issue 50 is a good jumping on point for the on-going. Also check out "Suicide Kings."

SameStory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SameStory

Thank you all :)

Avatar image for assassinhighbird
    AssassinHighBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AssassinHighBird

You can start with his volume 1 series which started around 2008. On the cover, its of him in a big, green, bear-looking mascot on a baseball field. Thats where i started. Got hooked ever since. Then i started reading his deadpool and cable series.

Avatar image for deadpoolchimichanga96
    Deadpoolchimichanga96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. if you're looking for some older stuff, discussing his friends, and his origin, i bought a sort of anthology collection thing called Deadpool-We don't need another hero. each of the issues in the collection was a great read.

but yeah, the issues from 2008 onwards are fantastic, and IMO they're a fantastic read.

ranvage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ranvage

Lot of people seems to like the Cable and Deadpool series, I personally think it was the begginig of Deadpool's downfall as a character.

The current series, the one from 2008, is quite funny, but the current writer can't give meaning to the character. In the end it's a funny comic, but it gets tiring, leaving Deadpool as nothing more than a bad pun.

My personal favorite is his firts run, way back on the 90's. Kelly's Deadpool is the real Deadpool.

But in the end, as one of our friends pointed out, it all depends on your taste.

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9  Edited By Endanger

If you want to read good Deadpool:

X-Force, New Mutants, Cable and Deadpool

everything else is pretty bad, or hit and miss.

nerd217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By nerd217

I'd start with his first solo series which starts in the tpb "we don't need another hero!". Then i'd say his first appearances in new mutants and x-force.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

Suicide Kings

Cable and DeadPool

X Force

DeadPool Classics are good

I'de start in a couple months though when the Revamp happens :3

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12  Edited By The Lobster

*sigh* I really do dislike giving the same answer over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over

Can we PLEEEEASE get a mod and glue on of these threads at the top of the forum. It's starting to drive me crazy all these threads asking the same question. I'm glad people are interesting in getting into Deadpool but the number of newbies creating a thread asking the same question as newbies before him/her is getting out of hand.  

That being said, here's what I always recommend......

1) Joe Kelly easily wrote the best stuff and he is often considered the definitive Deadpool writer. You can buy his run in trades, just pick up " Deadpool Classic Volumes 1,2,3,4, and 5" and you'll get the entire run. Believe me, it's as good as they say. It's the holy bible for all hardcore Deadpool fans. I firmly believe that you're not a TRUE Deadpool fan until you've read Joe Kelly's stuff, just as you're not a true Captain America fan without reading Ed Brubaker's stuff, or a true Punisher fan without reading Garth Ennis' stuff.

2) As for some current stuff.....Well, " Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe" is pretty cool and really fun although it seems that alot of fans are getting butthurt about Deadpool killing off some of their favorite superheroes, saying crap like "Deadpool would never be able to kill Thor" well DUH, but honestly when you buy a series called Deadpool KILLS the MARVEL UNIVERSE what did you expect? Him to kill everyone BUT Thor? Still some of the deaths are really cool and although the last issue hasn't come out yet if the ending to issue 3 is a hint to anything to come it's going to be probably the best Deadpool story within the last 5 years.

3 ) " Uncanny X-force" is great but Deadpool isn't always given the spotlight. But when it comes to Deadpool, I'd rather get a well written Deadpool who isn't always shown than a terribly written Deadpool who is the focus of attention (Daniel Way's stuff). Plus the other cast of characters are just as interesting to read. This series is probably the best ongoing series Marvel has out right now. No Joke.

4)  " Cable and Deadpool" stuff is good too but like Daniel Way's series it often ignores continuity. If you really want to get into Deadpool, give it a try. It has some pretty good stuff in it and it ended perfectly.

5) Buy the new Deadpool ongoing series coming out in november, it'd probably be the best place to start. That's what Marvel NOW is setting out to do after all, find new readers.

Hope this helps.

HarlequinKiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By HarlequinKiss

Start on volume 1 of Deadpool Classic. You'll get his origin, well written, and much more true to his character than a few of the modern comics.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

#14  Edited By Arkhamc1tizen

how about start with marvel now

AlexRRR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By AlexRRR

i jumped straight in, you sort of get the gist of whats been happening in the series from the little synopsis' at the start.

though i will eventually get a few books

z1co80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By z1co80

I have been thinking of buying the Deadpool Classics and the Deadpool and Cable Ultimate Collections but wanted to ask if i can get into Deadpool without having to read X-Men books?

I am not all that interested in the X-Men so i'd rather not have to get into the X-Men Universe if i didn't have to.

Swagger462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Swagger462
    This is where I started. Deadpool Classic Volume 1.
    z1co80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By z1co80

@Swagger462 said:

Yep

Just ordered all six Classics and next up the DP and Cable.

Is Pulp any good?

Swagger462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Swagger462

@z1co80: The only deadpool I've read so far is classic volume one and Kills the Marvel Universe. I'm tossing up between continuing Deadpool Classic or just jumping over to Deadpool and Cable.

LipstickZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LipstickZombie

I found a lot of good Deadpool comics on Marvel.com! While online comics aren't really the same as the real thing but you can find older issues of great books.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The Lobster
    @Swagger462 said:

@z1co80: The only deadpool I've read so far is classic volume one and Kills the Marvel Universe. I'm tossing up between continuing Deadpool Classic or just jumping over to Deadpool and Cable.

Please continue with Deadpool classic, You've only read issue 1 of Joe Kelly's stuff and believe me Joe Kelly's Deadpool is considered THE best Deadpool run so far. Not just by me, ask anyone at any website. Everyone at the Deadpool Bugle will tell you the same. 

You won't regret it, it's fantastic.
    Crimsonutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Crimsonutcase

The Circle Chase or Deadpool and cable

Swagger462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Swagger462

@The Lobster : Brilliant, I'm sold. I am like 2 books away from finishing all of Garth Ennis' Punisher stuff (who was so good he has ruined punisher for me.) So after that I'll just get back onto Deadpool.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Billy Batson

@Swagger462 said:

I am like 2 books away from finishing all of Garth Ennis' Punisher stuff (who was so good he has ruined punisher for me.) So after that I'll just get back onto Deadpool.

Whatcha talkin bout, Willis?
    BB

Swagger462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Swagger462

@Billy Batson: Every time I read other peoples stuff it's just not as good as his. I feel that if I had read other peoples stuff first I would have enjoyed them but now I compare them his work and it doesn't compare.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Billy Batson

@Swagger462 said:

@Billy Batson: Every time I read other peoples stuff it's just not as good as his. I feel that if I had read other peoples stuff first I would have enjoyed them but now I compare them his work and it doesn't compare.

Oh, LOL. Well yeah, he's pretty much the definitive Punisher writer. You should check out Aaron's and Rucka's run too though.
    BB

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The Lobster
    @Swagger462 said:

@The Lobster : Brilliant, I'm sold. I am like 2 books away from finishing all of Garth Ennis' Punisher stuff (who was so good he has ruined punisher for me.) So after that I'll just get back onto Deadpool.

Every character has that definitive writer. The one writer who understood the character more than anyone else or just knew what to do with him rather than have him run in circles. Garth Ennis to the Punisher, Ed Brubaker to Captain America, Frank Miller to Daredevil, etc. Joe Kelly is THE definitive writer to Deadpool. His stuff is so good that it makes everything else look terrible by comparison. Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza built the character but Joe Kelly redefined it. Deadpool does some really disturbing things in his run, yet we still find ourselves caring for him and wanting him to achieve his goals. His run masterfully walks the fine line between serious and humorous moments. 

It's perfect Deadpool.
    Swagger462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Swagger462

@Billy Batson: I'll put them on the list. Haha. This list is getting enormous.

@The Lobster : I can already see what you mean about the line he walks. Like that part where he kills a bunch of dudes and then threatens to lick Sasquatches hand. That always makes me laugh. Who would you say is the writer for Batman? I've read things like The Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns a few others but I find Long Halloween is the best so far. I know I'm getting off topic but what writer would you recommend for him?

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The Lobster
    @Swagger462 said:

@Billy Batson: I'll put them on the list. Haha. This list is getting enormous.

@The Lobster : I can already see what you mean about the line he walks. Like that part where he kills a bunch of dudes and then threatens to lick Sasquatches hand. That always makes me laugh. Who would you say is the writer for Batman? I've read things like The Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns a few others but I find Long Halloween is the best so far. I know I'm getting off topic but what writer would you recommend for him?

Batman is a tough case, cause there's a lot of stuff to go through and each writer does something different to the character while containing a level of quality. It's not like the other characters I mentioned where one writers run is universally loved, So it's ambiguous. With the other characters I mentioned there's always the run that is unanimously good and better than all the rest (and the same can be said for other characters too) and is always recommended to new readers. With Batman you could pretty much pick up anything and you'll get what you want cause....it's batman!! He's just that good of a character, he can be written by anybody and never lack quality.

Although if I had to pick......I'd have to say Paul Dini or Grant Morrison. Just because Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, and Alan Moore's Killing Joke don't really define the character and are miniseries not an actual run. The Dark Knight Returns is fantastic, but it's not part of continuity so I wouldn't count it. The Killing Joke is part of continuity but it's a story about the Joker not Batman so I can't count that either.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.