Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

What the Death of Deadpool Might Mean

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

So, it turns out Wade Wilson, a.k.a. Deadpool, is going to die. But, you know, for real this time (or so we're told). DEADPOOL #45 is a massive issue that'll go on sale this April and the solicit says the merc with a mouth will end up dead. We don't know how he'll meet his end and we won't bother speculating, but it turns out this issue will also be the last one in the volume. We'll give you a minute to flip a table or something if this is your first time hearing the news. Better now? Okay, for many Deadpool fans, the immediate response to this announcement is a mix of sadness and anger. Why kill Wade, especially when this volume has done such great work with him? Isn't there so much story potential left with this dude and his supporting cast? For others, it comes off as a cheap gimmick. Is this just a cash grab? Could this be connected to conspiracies that Marvel isn't being kind to movie characters that are owned by 20th Century Fox? Let's talk about it.

No Caption Provided

Just like many others out there, my knee-jerk reaction was a negative one. I love the stories by co-writers Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn. Every month, I look forward to a new chapter of this series, so to hear that it and the awesome character are coming to an end is kind of heartbreaking. I know that sounds silly since we're talking about a fictional character, but for many of us, this is a hobby we're very passionate about and, assuming the creative team does their job well, we establish an emotional connection to these characters.

"Why, Marvel? Why?"

When the announcement was made, many were quick to call it a cheap gimmick and a way for the publisher to rake in more money. So, let's discuss that before anything else. First and foremost, it's important to recognize that Marvel is a business. It knows killing off a popular character is sure to get attention and it sure as hell knows it's a way to earn a lot of money with a single issue. Seeing as this is an enormous issue (like, the size of Agent X when he was morbidly obese), odds are it's going to cost you more than you were expecting to spend on comics that week. Deadpool's wedding cost a whopping $9.99 yet that still sold very well. That took place in DEADPOOL #27 and, for the month's top 100 comics, it took 16th place. The issue before that one came in 33rd place. Not as epic as a "Colbert bump," but it's a noticeable jump in sales. Again, that's just Wade settling down. Now imagine how many people will be willing to shell out a few extra bucks to see how the popular character is killed?

DEADPOOL #40. Hilarious and awesome issue that you need to read right now.
    DEADPOOL #40. Hilarious and awesome issue that you need to read right now.

If DEATH OF WOLVERINE was a bad story and blatant cash grab, it would leave a good amount of readers with a bad impression and that may make them less likely to pick this up. That, of course, would probably lead to a slight decrease in sales. However, it wasn't a weak story and Charles Soule and Steve McNiven did an awesome job. They knew and respected the character while also embracing his history. It showed they didn't kill Logan just so they could earn a quick buck. They had a solid story they wanted to tell and it happened to end with the death of a character who has existed for quite some time. And you know what? I firmly believe the creative team behind DEADPOOL #45 will do an awesome job as well. Do I want Deadpool to die? Hell no. Do I think they can give him a great final issue (for now), though? Absolutely.

"Shame on them for killing a character just to earn more money." Who said it's just to earn more money? Obviously they want to make a profit, but why does that mean the product won't be worth what it costs and it's just a gimmick? When the announcement was made, Duggan said they've been building up to this since his first issue. Maybe I'm gullible, but I believe him and I have no good reason not to. The guy and Posehn have done a brilliant job handling the character and definitely appear to care about his story. Sure, the volume began with an arc that was all about over-the-top comedy and violence, but it quickly began to add a ton of heart and just the right amount of compelling and dark material. They've placed Deadpool on a rough path and it looks like it's been leading him to his temporary final resting place; something he could use after all the terrible stuff he's been through.The only real hiccup has been the Original Sin tie-in and that's mostly because many of us weren't a fan of the art. The style would have worked for a sillier story, but that wasn't the case. Even if this chapter is a staggering $9.99, I'm confident in Duggan and Posehn's ability to make it a story that'll be worth that intimidating cover price. They have yet to let me down and if this is how they're ending their run, why wouldn't they give it their all? Who wants to end a bad note?

Will the extra stories be worth the additional cash? Only time will tell, but one of them has Deadpool wielding the Infinity Gauntlet, so that alone has the potential to offer a huge amount of crazy fun. As much as I appreciate the volume's writing, that's only half of the final product. Luckily, the co-writers have worked with some very talented artists, and fortunately for our eyes, Mike Hawthorne and Scott Koblish are working on the last issue. The solicit says there's more artists involved, so fingers crossed they're bringing back Declan Shalvey and Tony Moore. Koblish can adapt to whatever script is put in front of him (check out the "lost" issues to see his range) and Hawthorne's style sells the comedic and serious beats equally well. Whether a scene is horrifying, heartfelt or hilarious, history has proven these two artists have what it takes to bring the story to life incredibly well. Plus, they're insanely talented when it comes to the action and it's looking like this last issue will have plenty of it. See below for a little teaser of the issue that Hawthorne shared via Twitter.

Art from DEADPOOL #45 by Mike Hawthorne.
    Art from DEADPOOL #45 by Mike Hawthorne.

"Okay, maybe the issue will be pretty cool. But still, I think it's petty that Marvel is killing him just because they apparently don't have a good relationship with 20th Century Fox." If that's true -- and that's a big if -- then yeah, that's petty and it probably won't impact ticket sales for the eventual Deadpool movie all that much. What will impact sales is how the studio promotes the movie and, of course, the quality of the final product. Having Deadpool dead at the time doesn't suddenly erase his fans or remove his dozens upon dozens of collections from being sold in comic book shops or online stores. Maybe that is the case and Marvel will deny it until the end of time, but honestly, who cares? What's important on our end is whether they're able to produce good stories, and when it comes to Deadpool, they've been doing a mighty fine job. I'm not here to speculate about that gossipy stuff; I'm here to say whether the death of Deadpool has potential. Given the volume's history, I say the answer should be a firm yes.

Who else would much rather have Duggan and Posehen conclude their run on a high note instead of dragging it on and on and it eventually becomes clear when they begin to really struggle for good ideas? If this has been the idea for the conclusion of the volume since get-go -- which is what Duggan claims -- then I'm optimistic about these final issues. Is it a bummer? Sure, no one wants to see one of their favorite characters die, but a good story is a good story, and given the creative team's work with the mercenary, I'm betting this is going to be a memorable one. So, what does the death of Deadpool mean? To me, it means Duggan and Posehn want to conclude their excellent run on an unforgettable note and I seriously hope they deliver. If that means we have to wait a long time before someone else comes up with a great story for the character's return, then so be it. Besides, there's plenty of Deadpool stories to read until the character is eventually brought back. We just hope whoever brings him back takes note of the work Duggan and Posehn have done. You know, assuming the ending isn't terrible. And who says someone won't take his place while he's gone? Marvel has lately been all about changing the status quo, so maybe if we're lucky Agent X will make his return. We're not saying we want someone else to step into Deadpool's costume ("Bob, the merc with a mouth!"), but having some follow-up to Wade's death would give his supporting cast some much-needed time in the spotlight. Just don't tell the tale in a $3.99 weekly comic, okay? Many of us are already spending more than we should on comics every single week!

Maybe -- just maybe -- you'll get to experience happiness before the volume ends.
    Maybe -- just maybe -- you'll get to experience happiness before the volume ends.

Feel free to jump to conclusions about the death of Deadpool in the comments section below. But seriously, are you going to voice your disappointment with your money and not buy the issue or are you going to pick it up and hope for the best?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Personally I'm hoping Deadpool dies but Wade lives.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @dagmar_merrill said:

I purposely avoided talking about ways they could handle the ending, but yeah, that's something that has crossed my mind as well.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just don't see how they can kill Deadpool, he came back from being turned into a pile of ashes.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

another one... maybe there would be a reboot after all

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Nothing, death never does

DarthStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

Issue 45 comes out in April. April fools day(April 1st) is a Wednesday or as we've come to know it New Comic Book day.

INCSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think the death of deadpool means that there will be a new deadpool series in a few months

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
    thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking that Wade is going to let the Deadpool persona die. It allows for Wade to be with his daughter and not have to worry about her safety as much since those hunting her will be dead. I have a great feeling that the writing team will knock it out of the park, but I will still be sad one of my favorite monthly books is ending.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What it means is that Marvel has run out of ideas be sides character deaths.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I'm going to need a bit of explanation.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill of a popular character. Resurect him a few months later. Fill an empty pool with the money you made and have a swim. Repeat.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@xwraith said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

Once Wade Wilson takes out the final threats, he gives up being Deadpool and tries to live the rest of his life as just Wade Wilson -- a father and a friend to many; not a mercenary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@xwraith said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

Once Wade Wilson takes out the final threats, he gives up being Deadpool and tries to live the rest of his life as just Wade Wilson -- a father and a friend to many; not a mercenary.

That actually sounds like a great ending.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@xwraith said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@xwraith said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

I think it's the one he deserves. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they will be doing a Deadpool in Hell series or something where he's considered dead and battles other dead people. You know something that will allow them to restart the numbering back at 1 and make more money.

GhostPirateX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking Deadpool Corps returns to fill the void until he's back.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@k4tzm4n said:

@xwraith said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

That sounds like something Marvel would do to get the rights of Deadpool back in Marvel Entertainment. In a sort of Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver type of way.

He is technically not a mutant so he doesn't need to be in the mutant-lore of Fox.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Man I'm going to miss this series so much. I love him and his cast of characters in this series, and I was hoping that Duggan and Posehn were going to write him for several years to come. Here's hoping the ending is at least a satisfying one.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mouse living in Jason Aaron's beard is infected with something Wade can't heal from. It will bite, and ultimately kill Deadpool.

deathsdoor726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot twist Wade is just Batman with prep

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they might just as others said drop the deadpool name, and possibly start a new title under Wade Wilson.... like we all already know for sure its just a Marvel gimmick, My question is how long til they bring him and Wolverine back ?

Also will this last issue of Deadpool be a regular priced issue or will they try to tax us for it? While im not regular DP fan, i would consider buying it IF its a regular price. not no $6 or so bucks a pop.

GeneralTekno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also think the idea that it's a metaphorical death makes a lot of sense.

Wade has an actual life now - he has something to lose while at the beginning of this volume he didn't.

So he'll leave the name behind, go underground for a bit, and then Dark Cybertron will happen and he'll reclaim his name and - wait, wrong franchise.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Hope the final issue is a good one. Though I feel like this is going to be a reboot...

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am more sad that it will force me to take a break from comics since Deadpool ( and maybe x-force ) are the only ones I tend to follow right now. The rest got too convoluted with events and such that I can't bring myself to read them without scouring Wikipedias all day.

So , I love Deadpool and hate that this might be the end...but it also means , I probably won't read Marvel for a while too.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm gonna miss DP

Jakk_Al_Ghul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jakk_Al_Ghul

My problem with the theory of the persona dying is that a lot of people said that about wolverine and they "actually" killed Logan.

It makes sense, but I can't see them doing it.

Look forward to it and I hope I'm wrong about my theory.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By patrat18
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Scourge

@k4tzm4n said:

@xwraith said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@xwraith said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

I think it's the one he deserves. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

That would be a great ending for his character and one I personally hope he doesn't come back from.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well then why don't they kill any MCU character then?????

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#32  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

If he does die, it;ll only be for a week.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dondave said:

I just don't see how they can kill Deadpool, he came back from being turned into a pile of ashes.

Disintegrate the ashes. Remove his soul etc.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, no one jumping to conclusions here.

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
    Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ironspiderchan45

I swear if it comes out on April 8th.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

this deadpool fan is totally neutral. im curious as to what they are going to do with his kid and wife. are they going to make one of them lady pool or something? I got back into reading deadpool because of shiklah but its like "hey he's married now lets put the wife in a corner". such a waste. she should be going on missions with him and a HEAVY part of the series as his partner and supporting cast just like they are doing with daisy Johnson in bucky barnes

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe he will die but they will use a defibrillator to revive him or something? They didn't say how long he would be dead.

Nargaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Spoiler:

Thanos will have a appeareance. He made Wade immortal, so i guess he can make him mortal again.

Nargaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also think the idea that it's a metaphorical death makes a lot of sense.

Wade has an actual life now - he has something to lose while at the beginning of this volume he didn't.

So he'll leave the name behind, go underground for a bit, and then Dark Cybertron will happen and he'll reclaim his name and - wait, wrong franchise.

Good point. Maybe Wade will be the familiary guy now and Agent X will be the ,,All new Deadpool" in a new Series. That would be actually worse then a dead Deadpool.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Cream_God

Him and Death are gonna pork

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Thank God Marvel. Kill squirrel Girl Next.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@batmite1995 said:

Well then why don't they kill any MCU character then?????

I don't see why Marvel supporting Marvel Studios' characters translates to it's purposely screwing over characters 20th Century Fox owns. For example, 20th Century Fox owns Sabretooth & Mystique and it looks like Marvel's giving both of them a good push. Magneto, Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Storm have their own titles and Amazing X-Men just started a big story. And while they haven't techncailly killed any of the big MCU characters, they have drastically changed a few of them.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dotwilson

its an aprils fools joke

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@

The issue numbering thing annoys the crap out of me. They want it to be issue 45 cause they wanted to renumber it to start with a number 1 but WAIT it's ACTUALLY issue 250 (since this is a selling point). It's bulls***. Just number the issues sequentially OR stick with the renumbering. GRRR

"So-and-So dies" IS NOT A STORY. This is something that happens at the end of a story. A good story could end with him dying or not cause they actually were writing about something happening otherwise. At the end of T2 Arnie could have rode off into the sunset instead of taking a dip in lava and the preceding story would have been functionally the same. The death at the end is like punctuation or something. Also, it totally ruins the story knowing how it's gonna end.

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Maybe he should have been called Livepool rather than Dead.

ubungqingili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe they plan on replacing him with another deadpool so its easier to do a movie about that one instead i think there going to introduce a new deadpool.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thegoshdarnbat-cow
    TheGoshDarnBat-Cow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly think this is a joke. Perhaps he will die at the end but will immediately come back (maybe in the same issue.).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.