Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

What country did Deadpool served as a member of the Armed Forces?

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Brit

Based on some of my readings he did a stint in the U.S. Army Special Forces. Can you guys help me confirm this? Thanks!

jesusjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jesusjoe

His nationality seems to have changed a few times. Most of the early stuff seemed to indicate he was an American who joined the Canadian Military for Department K, who drafted him into Weapon X, but then the more recent stuff makes him out to be a Canadian born and bred. I think he was always in the Canadian military though- was the series you read the Marvel Knights 'Wade Wilsons War'? Because that's not canon...

EDIT: Here's some pages from the old Deadpool & Death 1998 Annual, pretty much the first attempt to show his Weapon X days. Kind of suggests he didn't join the military at all here, just the program... But I know the whole thing got fleshed out more later.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Brit

i always thought that he was a Canadian who joined the U.S. Army then was kicked-out then turned Mercenary then Weapon X subject then turned costumed mercenary...

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By The Lobster

Here's how I think it worked. 

1) He was born in Canada by his mom and dad. 
    2) His dead left and his mom became an alcoholic. 
    3) His mom moved to the states and remarried to a US army General. 
    4) His mom died of cancer and he was left with his abusive adoptive father.
    5) His father was shot by one of his friends in a bar fight and Wade left and joined the USA military.  
    6) At some point he dropped the USA military and became a mercenary, working on a secret government hit squad (with members like Slayback, and Garrison Kaine.)
    7) Wade then got into trouble with T-Ray and he either stole T-Ray's identity or T-Ray stole his. (It depends on the writer, but personally I think Deadpool is the true Wade Wilson)
    8) Wade discovers he has cancer
    9) Wade is told by Garrison Kane about Department K, and how they could cure his cancer.
    10) Wade was experimented on and became a failed experiment.
    11) The rest is self explanatory.

He's Canadian but worked for the US army, it's the only way the two possible origin stories he has could work.

Avatar image for capo_del_bandito
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito

It's a crapshoot.

Nicezia pretty much left it up in the air (but he himself said he was US born, joined the military), etc. 

The only stuff we've seen on panel however, is DP was a merc, and a damn good one at that in DP -1 when he was being considred for the Mithras Project the first time around. Then he averted a catastrophe (the murder of Copycat) only to get cancer. Then we know he had multiple attempts to treat it. He somehow met Garrison Kane and was given the idea to check out Department K/Weapon X. The rest is pretty much common knowledge.

Of course Daniel Way ignores ALL of this except 'military, cancer, weapon x" and no particular order, rhyme or reason. Thanks for not doing research Way! The casual fans know more about the character you've been writing for years now!

Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Man of Lengend

The Lobster  i totally buy this...  
     i just cant pinpoint where Dp, got all his fighting skills from?? anyone>>? 

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Brit
    @The Lobster : nice one! i totally agree with you...
    Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brit
    @Capo_Del_Bandito said:
    "Of course Daniel Way ignores ALL of this except 'military, cancer, weapon x" and no particular order, rhyme or reason. Thanks for not doing research Way! The casual fans know more about the character you've been writing for years now! "
    same here man, same here! Way lost his way on this one....
    Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist
    @Man of Lengend: From Years of combat training with the U.S Army and traveling the world in his earlier merc day? thats what i think
    Avatar image for capo_del_bandito
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @Man of Lengend: If Michael Weston from Burn Notice is any indication, people from trouble homes make great special agents/soldiers/etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.