Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3322 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Should Frank Miller Direct Deadpool Film?

Avatar image for muhammad_moustapha_akkad
    Muhammad Moustapha Akkad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Should he??????
    Jessica Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Jessica Baby

no.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

Haha.... HELL NO.
    Avatar image for muhammad_moustapha_akkad
    Muhammad Moustapha Akkad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not?!?!?!
    Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Frank Miller has no background with Deadpool. I doubt he'd want to. These nay sayers just are getting on "The Spirit movie sucks" bandwagon. Well I can tell you that as a Spirit fan, that is how the movie should have been done.

Frank Miller was friends with Will Eisner (the creator and long time writer of The Spirit) were you? I didn't think so.

Avatar image for capo_del_bandito
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito

The Spirit, even if it did follow it's origin material, was bland and goofy. Deadpool should have some silliness to it, but it should have subtlety and wit, just like Joe Kelly's Deadpool.

Frank Miller, though possibly an apt director, is not suited for Deadpool's brain of humor as he always goes over the top super strong anti-heroes with GRRRRRRR scowls and whatnot.

References: All of Sin City, Ronin, anything Batman related he's done.

theaceofknaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theaceofknaves

yea no thanks to Miller. His idea of subtlety is a sledgehammer to the face. and his idea of intelligent humour is fart jokes.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why? he's not a director.
    the only film he was attached to that he tried directing
    was The Spirit and we all saw how well that went.

Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @CATMANEXE: He co-directed Sin City, and he directed The Spirit by himself.
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By EisforExtinction
    @Abnormally Warm Guy said:
    " Frank Miller has no background with Deadpool. I doubt he'd want to. These nay sayers just are getting on "The Spirit movie sucks" bandwagon. Well I can tell you that as a Spirit fan, that is how the movie should have been done.  Frank Miller was friends with Will Eisner (the creator and long time writer of The Spirit) were you? I didn't think so. "
    Yeah, Frank Miller used to work with Eisner. So it's only fair Miller decided to use Eisner's best known work and write it like a Sin City reject. That movie was garbage.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capo_Del_Bandito: 
    doesnt count for anything. he "co-directed " on Sin City by giving advice,
    and was therefore credited for it, the same way your going to see Bendis
    have a co-director credit for Thor. he had extremely limited responsibilities,
    not enough to chalk it up to experience, much less be responsible for the actual 
    directing work.
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @CATMANEXE: Not according to the commentary on the DVDs. He worked on the shots, the scenes themselves, generic stuff like that. That shows. That and it's dead on how he did The Spirit. The story and acting may have been garbage, but it  had a decent style to it. 

That said, I still don't think he can do Deadpool as he doesn't fall into that archtype of overlybuff and gruff anti-heroes.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Caligula

Frank Miller is Legendary, He is (well can be at times) a Great Writer, I Have the entire Sin City series in trade, as well as DK returns, but he also is sort of a one trick pony. all of his best characters, are Testosterone fueled, Border-line psycho-pathic, as well as Physically opposing, and Gritty manly men. Deadpool just isn't that, Frank Miller would be better suited to something like Conan, or Punisher.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capo_Del_Bandito: yeah, thats not actually what being the "director" is. in crediting him with something
    that gives him the experience to do a movie. saying he directed Sin City enough and look how it turned out
    and use that as a springboard for a reason he would do another movie well is selling an empty box of goods.
    the "true" director of that film, the one that already had experience was Rodriguez, and in part Quentin.
    what your trying to sell me is as bad as saying Miller did as much directing work on Robocop as 
    Paul Verhoeven. and Sin City and The Spirit are identical? GTFO!!! Miller doesnt have jack for directing
    experiance. he's just breaking into the business and just completed training, and he's a little too old
    to ever become anything at that.
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @CATMANEXE: Uh, he 'directed' in the same way Tarenteno directed one scene. Whereas Tarenteno directed how that scene was filmed, was controlled, etc, Miller did all the same stuff. 

Seriously listen to the commentary tracks and the behind the scenes stuff. You really have no idea what you're talking about since you seem to just sorta throw out what you think he did. You're just assuming he 'offered advice. Again, in the commentaries, they talk about all he did, controlling the scenes, actors, etc etc. '

As for Spirit/Sin City, I said the style, not in terms of story you ignorant twit. Please pay attention, it's obvious you're lacking in that department already so I'll make it plain:

In terms of style, camerawork, direction, and all the background stuff Sin City and The Spirit were dead on. Hell, it was jokingly referred to as "Sin City 1.5" during the reviews when it was initially released.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capo_Del_Bandito: 
    sorry, i do know what im talking about. he provided commentary and knew what was going on after the fact
    in a scripted commentary means nothing. Rodriguez was the director there, there is no question of that.
    Miller was an assistant. Miller is not comparable to Tarentino.

it was like the Spirit because he took the style of Sin City, which was technically his in the first place via the graphic novel,
    and the crew made it happen. doesnt mean anything either. Micheal Bay can release a movie that looks just like Sin City
    tomorrow. that doesnt give him full credit for Sin City. Bryan Singer having a movie with the same style as a movie by
    Richard Donner means nothing either. thats called the studio still having the same things they used for the movie prior
    on hand.

and, one of these things is not like the other.
    Sin City = did great, good reception
    The Spirit = epic failure of a flop

the difference? 
    Rodriguez's direction skills.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#17  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Abnormally Warm Guy said:
    "Frank Miller has no background with Deadpool. I doubt he'd want to. These nay sayers just are getting on "The Spirit movie sucks" bandwagon. Well I can tell you that as a Spirit fan, that is how the movie should have been done.  Frank Miller was friends with Will Eisner (the creator and long time writer of The Spirit) were you? I didn't think so. "
    I actually liked The Spirit, but then again, I've never read anything about him.
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @CATMANEXE: 

So all in all, you've got conjecture and opinions, but no real proof of what was occurring on the soundstage, and you refuse to believe the word of both Rodrieguez and Miller. Got it.  Because your opinion makes perfect sense and is backed by irrefutable proof.

And the biggest difference between The Spirit and Sin City was not the director, it was the overall story and how goofy he went with it instead of a hard boiled almost self satire like Sin City. 

Thanks for proving my point though, that you really don't have any idea of what you're talking about other than "Rodriguez was the director because there's no conceivable way this guy could've done it despite my having no proof to the contrary".

You're almost as bad as Daniel Way fanboys. Yeesh.
    Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

@EisforExtinction: first off he didn't just "work" with Eisner. He was best friends with him. He helped write his biography. And I liked the Spirit movie. And I have been a spirit fan for years.

Miller understood that moving The Spirit to a new medium would be incredibly difficult but if you look at it beyond the Sin City style it had a lot in common with the comics. It had a very retro and modern feel to it. It was ironic and very smart. The women were iconic and strong. And the style changed with tone of the scene.

Deadpool is very funny and very clever. But he is also darker then The Spirit. Miller would try to twist that and we might get something like Batman and Robin: All Stars... no thanks Miller.

I respect Miller. He's one of comics greatest writers EVER. But he is the wrong choice here.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Frank Miller should not direct anything ever again.

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capo_Del_Bandito: 
    and your proof is?
    and yes i do.
    1. Rodriguez's long directing resume, and the fact this is his career.
    2. Millers almost non existent one (two, count em, movies, only one actual full stint)
    and his long time lack of experience in making a film.
    3. the presence of Rodriguez's directing style in Sin City, big itme, and complete lack thereof in The Spirit

Rodriguez did the bulk of the work for Sin City. he was the director, Miller was advisor. it 
    got critical acclaim. Miller tried to do it all by himself on The Spirit. it got laughed at hard.
    i think my proof is extremely visible, yet you seem to think Miller somehow did an awesome first ever
    job directing Sin City and was the brains behind that operation, but some other factor screwed up The Spirit,
    even though Rodriguez was the difference. biggest point being, Miller is not a director, as he doesnt have the experiance
    to make him one, he is just trying it out at this point.

Deadpool is outsold Superman and Wonder Woman last year to say just a few, and currently outsells 
    Wolverine. i think Ways fans may also have proof as well.

i disagree with you. accept it.
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @CATMANEXE: Except, according to both people, the directing was split pretty well down the line. But hey, don't take the people who worked on it at their word or anything. Just because someone's got a great resume means he shouldered the entire movie by himself. Hell, it seemed like you though Tarenteno did some big part in there despite it being one scene.

Just because something sells well doesn't mean it's good. Look at Transformers and Wolverine: Origins. Trash on all 3 counts. And they sold well.

Daniel Way's Deadpool sells because of old fans of both Kelly and Nicezia's, and once that wore off it's been because people love the mindless non-existant rehashed plots. He's not Deadpool so much as he is Peter Griffen in a Deadpool suit. And idiots eat that up. 

I'm not saying Miller's a great director, and The Spirit was trash. But according to, you know, the production staff, the actors (who praised Miller's direction) and Rodreiguez, he did direct and not just 'advise' despite your 'well it SEEMS like he didn't even though there's no tangible proof". Again, conjecture and theories, no real proof.

...and what 'critical acclaim' did Sin City get? It got decent reviews, but 'critical acclaim' seems a bit much.
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By EisforExtinction
    @Abnormally Warm Guy: While I can agree the transition would be difficult, because a lot of what shaped the Spirit was the time it was created and the other types of media that were popular at the time, I still think there was TOO MUCH Frank Miller in my Spirit movie which is what turned me off.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capo_Del_Bandito: 
    what was Rodriguez going to do? say Miller was here just learning the ropes?

re-read: first direction job ever, no experience at all.

yeah, he directed it equally. he was on par with someone who has done that his whole life while
    he's never even tried it. let yourself believe that.

Way is actually a driving factor of that book. It comes up in almost every interview i read, including 
    Way's own he had on this very site. People like the adventures Deadpool gets into and his dialogue.
    its what they reminisce on the most. you were just saying something cliche is all.

doesnt seem like too much at all. its considered on of the best direct translations of comic book to movie,
    and a great artistic throwback to the old black and white noir movies.

whether something sells alot actually means alot. if something cant even sell, it failed to do its job.

sorry, Miller isnt a director. he tried it, he failed. he should go back to writing comics and doing an occasional
    storyboard for extra money because thats what he's good at.
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @CATMANEXE: 

ReRead Again: conjecture, theories, no real proof. You're guessing based on that fact. it seems likely, but again, it's not proof.

Again, just because it sells doesn't make it good. It makes it a successful business transaction, but it doesn't make it a good product. Helll, look at anything Billy Mays sold. 

As for Way's Deadpool, it's retelling old plot points, adding nothing new beyond gimmicks (Which Way is relying on rather than storytelling) and pretty much fucking about with Deadpool because he has a tenuous (at best) grip on the characterization of Deadpool. He picks and chooses whicih bits of continuity to go with, throws in random wacky events to sell to people who like juvenile crap, and does nothing to expand on the character or even make it similar to the character that has been around for about 2 decades. He's just throwing in silly random crap because he knows he can get away witih it because he figures it's Deadpool, no one will mind. Despite the fact that there's characterization out the ass and a history, he's just making up shit as he goes along, pulling out old plot points that both Kelly and Nicezia have done to death, and basically throwing Deadpool into crossovers and then giving him wacky pointless adventures and doing nothing new.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capo_Del_Bandito: already gave you the proof multiple times, your just ignoring it.

Frank Miller coming on to Sin City had zero experience in directing, and wasnt alone.
    In the next attempt he was alone and failed. Frank Miller is not a director, even if he
    tried to be one. He isnt qualified. there is no way he stepped onto the set of Sin City and
    was telling people with severe experience in what they actually do for a living how its done. 
    there is no way his contribution to the film is what made Sin City what it was, further proven by
    when he tried it on his own, he flopped badly. 

i wouldnt believe you were reading the book if you took a picture of yourself with it in your
    hands by that statement. your just being cliche and arguing to argue at this juncture.
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @CATMANEXE: 

Again, that's not proof, that's conjecture. You're applying circumstantial evidence.  But you wanna believe it, that's nice and cute.

As for Way, he's not developing the character, that's pretty much a given. I get everyone has different tastes in style and humor and all, but i'm not 'arguing just to argue'. You don't really 'own' anything as you're not providing proof to the contrary on anything. you're just guessing.

I wasn't aware that people disliked Daniel Way's deadpool for the same reason I do. Just goes to show some people don't like mindless adventures that don't do anything.

I just happen to like character development, plots that go somewhere, etc etc. Way is just retelling the "Deadpool wants to be a hero! Again! Except by a certain point down the line he'll be ok with being just a merc again!".

Hell the only cliche I knew of was that a lot of the fans were tired of Deadpool seemingly always being beaten up for the most part. 

If you don't want to believe me, that's cute and all, but head over to The Deadpool Bugle sometime. I'm pretty vocal and constant in my Way hatred since the Pirates arc. After that and midway through the X-Men arc I dropped the book. Up until the pirates arc, I was on the fence, and dropped it since Way barely knows what he's doing with the character.

Hell, in the latest audio interview he says "Deadpool has a memory problem". Despite the fact that Nicezia made one up for C&DP, but then solved it some 18 or so issues in. But Way says 'fuck all that, he's got memory problems again". And his earliest interview saying "Deadpool believes he's in love with the embodiment" of death, and basically treated it like another delusion and that the whole "Death and him as a couple" bit never happened. 

Tell me, how is it 'cliche" to not like re-done stories that bring nothing new to the table, to not like a Deadpool that lacks pop culture references and subtlety, and miss the likes of Kelly and Simone?
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Capo_Del_Bandito: 
    sorry i didnt read it. your probablly just repeating yourself again. 
    Frank Miller is not a director. he has no experiance doing it, and has no business doing it.
    he got in because Robert liked him and his book and wanted him hands on for it.
    he shouldnt direct anymore, he shouldnt direct Deadpool.

i repeat. i disagree with you 100%. agree to that.

as far as your opinion thats all it si. you dont like Deadpool. dont read it. your the sucker
    for buying it then. doesnt excuse the fact that the people who do enjoy it enjoy what Way is writing.
    Capo_Del_Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Capo_Del_Bandito
    @CATMANEXE: 

...I see you're immune to logic and well thought out discussions. I'll just chalk this up to internet stupidity. 

First you said I was arguing just to argue, but at least now you acknowledge I have an opinion. At least you got wise, at least a bit. 

I love Deadpool, I just hate lackluster storytelling, and, like I said, i dropped the book.

You have this big problem with paying attention and treating your opinion on subjects like they're fact. Might wanna work on that. 

You have fun with that.
    theaceofknaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By theaceofknaves

The latest arc by Way shows development in Deadpool. Well, not really development per say, but it isn't just mindless. He has a very good plan that he used to show to everyone that the X-Men ARE the good guys... in doing so he sacrificed what he wants, to be known as a hero. So yet again Deadpool tries to do the right thing, but ends up worse off for it. A re-occuring character trait since the beginning.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By The Mast

No, Quentin Tarantino should.

I've said this for more than a year, and magically Ryan Reynolds recently brought it up.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

I thought the Spirit was very faithful to Will Eisner I enjoyed it

Avatar image for ghostrider_fan1
    ghostrider fan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By ghostrider fan1

F#%& NO!!!! he has ruined the image of batman, god knows what he did to the spirit, and more to come with his loads of crap they call comics. no thanks

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.