Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3322 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Should Deadpool Regain His Healing Factor?

• 75 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

What happens when the "Merc With A Mouth" falls in love with the most unattainable girl, period? Well, a whole lot. Let's just say that if you thought Deadpool couldn't get any weirder, he had to go ahead and fall in love with Death. If you've been keeping up with the last Daniel Way's Deadpool then you know that he's recently given up his healing factor in order to (literally) get with the girl of his dreams; Death.

No Caption Provided

Let's rewind a bit first, though. In the appropriately titled "Dead" story-arc, Deadpool decides that he wants nothing more than to be with the woman he loves. His healing factor and regenerative properties allowed Deadpool to see Death -- and during this arc, he fell in love with her. It was when Deadpool was locked down by Department K, tortured and put to the ultimate test that he first laid eyes on her. During this time, Death would distract Deadpool to ease his mind by spending time with him. Because of his love for her, Deadpool gave up his healing factor, making him completely human and vulnerable to attacks. But is this a good thing, and is this something that will stick through Marvel: NOW?

No Caption Provided

Whether or not Deadpool should still have his healing factor is a matter of opinion, so Deadpool fans aren't all going to agree. Having said that, we can look at the pros and cons of Deadpool's lack of healing factor. First off, I think there are only so many stories you can tell about a merc who can never die before things get stale. If you've ever wondered why Deadpool has such a complicated and convoluted history, it might be because of this very reason. For most characters, the fear of death and the idea that a character can potentially die is always something in the backs of their minds as well as in the backs of the minds of readers. That, essentially, is part of what makes so many stories so interesting. Under his suit, Tony Stark is just a man, for example. There is always a chance he won't come out in one piece. Black Widow is just a spy (albeit a really good one). One false move and it could be the end for her. By taking away Deadpool's healing factor, Daniel Way has opened up the door for new storytelling possibilities. His enemies know he is now vulnerable in ways he never was before, and they all want their revenge. This ups the stakes for the character and his story. He can get hurt now, he can't be as reckless. He's got to watch his back and be one step ahead if he's going to want to survive.

No Caption Provided

The thing is, Deadpool is all about recklessness. In fact, the very term encompasses his personality and is what makes his character so unique. There's something about picking up a Deadpool book and reading a story about a character that just doesn't really give a damn and does basically, whatever he wants, that is so much fun. The stories are funny and lighthearted, and his sense of humor can be attributed to the fact that he doesn't really have to worry about anything because he can't really die. It's what makes him different from any other hero or anti-hero or…well, whatever he feels like being today. So maybe the healing factor was a big part of the reason why Deadpool was so much fun to read. But can you really tell an interesting story about a character who does, basically, the same thing over and over again? Who is invulnerable to any attacks? Whose actions have no repercussions? That is, essentially, what good storytelling is all about, right? Or is Deadpool the exception?

In issue #53 of DEADPOOLBob Agent of Hydra brought up a good point: what if Deadpool's lack of healing factor lead to consequences that don't only involve him? Case in point, Bob. In previous issues of DEADPOOL, Bob had made a deal with Tombstone to bring Deadpool back on the condition that Tombstone gets to be the one to kill Deadpool. If that doesn't happen, then Bob dies.

No Caption Provided

So far, it doesn't seem like Daniel Way has allowed Deadpool's lack of healing factor to get in the way of the amount of action we've been seeing in his series. Tombstone, Taskmaster, Black Swan -- the list goes on. And each one is after the merc now that they know he can be put to sleep for good. So what will happen? And how long will this last? If I had to guess, I'd say not too much longer. The start of Marvel NOW! this fall is the beginning of something new, different at Marvel. It's a chance for some character to get a clean slate -- that includes Deadpool. His healing factor is such an integral part of his persona and identity, I think it woiuld be a shame for them to do away with it permanently. And lets face it, nothing in comics is ever permanent. At least for now it's nice to see some stories that leave Deadpool a little vulnerable, even if it is just for the time being.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Grey56

Yes. He should.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AngeTheDude

He probably will before the new creative team gets their hands on the book.

hazmat103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hazmat103

he definitely should get his healing factor back.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThanosIsMad

His healing factor and his enchantment by Thanos is why he couldn't die. Bring back the healing factor, leave the enchantment. He'd be able to heal and he'd still be able to die.

Which is probably what they'll end up doing.

Avatar image for portlandsbatman
    PortlandsBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PortlandsBatman

Unless then plan to kill him, then yes.

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By blackadamFTW

Sure.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JohnnyWalker

yep. not really funny when he could die at any step. plus this whole love death thing is really starting to get annoying and stupid.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CrimsonCake

It's one of the things that make Deadpool, Deadpool.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By DanialCarroll

It is basically who he is, so yeah, I'd say he should get it back.

I've never read any Deadpool solo books, so can someone tell me, has the whole "love triangle" thing ever been used, pitting Deadpool and Thanos against each other?

AlexLaVelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By AlexLaVelle

I am fine with him eventually getting it back, but I'd like to see writers leave him vulnerable for a while. Mortality may not be funny in real life, but in fiction impending death can be humorous. Take Buster Keaton, for instance: one of the central conceits of his films is that he's only alive because he's really lucky--not observant or driven by any sense of self-preservation, but lucky. A building can fall down around him without him noticing, and he'll survive because he happens to be standing where the window lands.

Or, as Mel Brooks put it, "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall down an open sewer and die." This idea is ingrained in the history of comedy; from ancient Roman farce to the American vaudeville traditions of slapstick comedy to Peter Griffin periodically battling with an oversized chicken, vulnerability and mortality are funny as long as you have a little distance. The trick is, as an audience, accepting that your protagonist won't die (granted, this isn't a given in comics as much as it is in other media) and appreciating the timing or how he gets out of a scrape or just how far in over his head he really is.

Retro_Metro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Retro_Metro

I would give him back his healing factor only if he breaks up with Death(there's other girls who aren't cosmic entities that are still good mates for him.) and knows what it's like to be a normal merc for a while.

BATMAN9797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By BATMAN9797

he should have his healing factor

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

It's like getting rid of Superman's powers and still have him try to be Superman, without any kind of help from either an armor or gadgetry. You see how that would be a problem? Well that's how it is with Deadpool.

AverageKoala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AverageKoala

It should be interesting seeing DP fight for real all the time as opposed to when he needs to. His natural skill set alone makes him one of the toughest street levelers in marvel and often he would be messing around. He can do quite a bit of damage if his life is always on the line. I vote for healing factor though, its part of his character.

batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By batmarcus

Deadpool need his healing factor it's part of what makes him, himself. Deadpool without his healing factor is like Captain America without his shield it's just not as good.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#17  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Weaken it, don't take it away...

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By feargalr

Him loosing his healing factor is fine for a few issues, 10 at most. But it can't be longterm.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By GothamRed

He's just not deadpool without it, you know?

Acharya77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Acharya77

I just wanna ask, who's that big lady sitting with those guys in that last picture with Taskmaster?

Gibbet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gibbet

I prefer uglyfacepool to prettyboypool

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGodofThunder

so where is thanos in all this?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By fodigg

Is this even a question? Of course he will.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By fodigg

@Atary77 said:

I just wanna ask, who's that big lady sitting with those guys in that last picture with Taskmaster?

Big Bertha.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By longbowhunter

Damn it's been a while since I've seen Big Bertha or Blind Al. The Deadpool annual were Wade first meets Death is my all time favorite Deadpool story.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DEADPOOL

Remember Joe Kelly? His Deadpool was nigh invincible, yet every one of Deadpool's antics had an impact on the character and the series. After that, it slowly became a sitcom where laughs are had and everything returns back to normal for the next episode.

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cc1738

Yes.

I'm going to be honest. I always used to hate deadpool. I couldn't stand him. Then recently I started reading the trades for Uncanny X-Force. I'm going to be honest he didn't bother me as much. In fact I liked his character and I was shocked. lol.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SandMan_

Yes, because DC and Marvel always go back instead of forward.

Give him back the healing factor, but take away the immortality, so while he does have a healing factor, he can still die.

Turkeysammich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Turkeysammich

Whatever gets him back together with Terry!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BatteredArmor

Not even really a question, we all know he should have it

TheFordPrefect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheFordPrefect

Jokes like awe flipper hands arent going to occur without his healing factor.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Ganthetsward20

we should have old deadpool back when the number one issue starts up, I dont think they could lessen his durability so that he still has to be careful and not some reckless mess, I love deadpool but i like as he is now too. So its actually hard for me to decide

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jwalser3

@GothamRed said:

He's just not deadpool without it, you know?

Agreed

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Trodorne

I honestly think he is great without his healing factor. Like babs said and Im not just agreeing with her. Im thinking there is TONS more for story telling then just saying Deadpool wins cause he has healing factor. before he could just outlast the enemy till he dies. now he can not do that.

He will gain it back eventually Marvel is notorious for setting things back to the status quo in the main universe. Let them tell this story out. I honestly think there is alot more potential for this before he goes back to being himself again with the regeneration powers.

hyenascar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By hyenascar

he had the dark sense of humor because of his morbid curiosity of death and because he couldn't die. I guess i enjoyed the dark comedy, but i also enjoyed the issues where they showcased just how dangerous he could be if he came after you. Because so many show so much of his slapstick, you forget that he was a proficient mercenary before his transformation. he is grade A killer who couldn't die, when he has his healing, and he is a nut-job. Imagine him coming after you while he is talking to himself.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JamDamage

He'll get his healing factor back. no doubt. Now that his skin has been cured, and the cancer is back, then he should have his healing factor minus the acne

Avatar image for tylerthedestroyer
    TylerTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say he should get his healing factor back, but not sure if he should keep the face. I mean I like it but others may want his old face back.

SadiaVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SadiaVicious

Give him his healing back, but don't make him immortal again.

Keep the new face for a while.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I think he doesn't need his powers, like Deathstroke or Kraven, he could still work without his healing powers. Just like Kraven doesn't need his heightened senses to be a great hunter, and Deadpool and Deathstroke don't need their powers to be great assassins. They could be like Batman, incredibly skilled humans. Its not like they are Spider-Man or Superman who have powers that are very visual in the comics. Deadpool could be cool without powers for a long time I think. What would be cool is if he got badly scarred on his face and body but now has no healing.

Avatar image for secondfallen616
    secondfallen616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By secondfallen616

What does Thanos think about all this? He destroyed and remade the universe all in an effort to impress her so i highly doubt he would let some shizzle talking psycho move in on his "lady" (havent been reading Deadpool through all this so i apologize if its already been explained). Was Deadpool really immortal/invulnerable? I thought that if his molecules were dispersed then he would cease to be, like a nuke to the face would kill him.

A god-like Deadpool is just not as appealing IMO, but a healing factor that rivals (and surpasses in some ways) Wolverine's, is the way to go. I mean, without some kind of "power" he essentialy is a smack talking Snake-Eyes, while that in it self is epicly badass, its still more of the same.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#41  Edited By JonesDeini

these things are never a matter of "if" but "when".

Anti_Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Anti_Reality

If there was a way for him to die but still be able to regenerate, so he can still be in love but not completely weakend. He isn't Deadpool if he can just go running through a slue of bullets and turn out just fine. 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#43  Edited By JonesDeini

@DEADPOOL said:

Remember Joe Kelly? His Deadpool was nigh invincible, yet every one of Deadpool's antics had an impact on the character and the series. After that, it slowly became a sitcom where laughs are had and everything returns back to normal for the next episode.

Kelly's DP was SUPERB and is a CLASSIC run. Way's run (up to where I read) was a total train wreck which caused me to drop the book.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Madame_Mist

Yes.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ARMIV2

He should. It's a good part of his character.

And he's after the same woman Thanos is trying to get with? She's such a friggin' tease.

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ScreamingGhost

Eventually yes, for now no. It'd be a bit silly to revert his ability so quickly after taking it way. A year or sooner from now I wouldn't be surprised if his powers were back though.

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ScreamingGhost
    EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#48  Edited By EganTheVile1

Without the healing factor he is just not the Deadpool we know and love, I never missed it when he lost the teleportation power given, but when I think of the things that make Deadpool Deadpool the healing factor was a big part of him, the moment he shot himself in the head out of boredom is a big example of something that was grim, shocking, and damn funny in a sick way that made this character. I cant picture him having to play it safe, it would ruin the character.

EDIT: Plus his whole body is cancerous, wont he just drop dead without a healing factor anyway? Writers... do your homework...

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

@secondfallen616: Thanos is actually one of the reasons why Deadpool was/is invincible. Sure the healing factor's a big part, but as you said, a healing factor can only save you up to a certain amount of damage. Thanos actually cursed Deadpool so he could never die and thus never be with Death.

I remember this even happened once, way back, that Deadpool's body took so much damage that it couldn't heal itself. Deadpool effectively died for a short period, only to come back alive somewhere else.

Which makes one wonder, if Deadpool would kick the bucket now while his healing factor is negated, would he actually be able to die? Since Thanos' curse is still there, I'd asume he still won't be able to really die. At least not indefinitely.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@Trodorne said:

I honestly think he is great without his healing factor. Like babs said and Im not just agreeing with her. Im thinking there is TONS more for story telling then just saying Deadpool wins cause he has healing factor. before he could just outlast the enemy till he dies. now he can not do that.

He will gain it back eventually Marvel is notorious for setting things back to the status quo in the main universe. Let them tell this story out. I honestly think there is alot more potential for this before he goes back to being himself again with the regeneration powers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.