Should Deadpool be an Avenger?

• 149 results
#1 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers are supposed to be "Earth's Mightiest Heroes," and Deadpool has kicked maybe 1/3rd of the Marvel universe's keester. Doesn't that make him one of Earth's mightiest?

Granted, he isn't exactly a "hero." But, he's whatever he wants to be. And he has been searching for a way to better himself, but can't seem to break old habits. So being an Avenger would nail two birds with one stone.

In an alternate reality, Deadpool was not only an Avenger, but was their leader. He called himself the "Swordsman."

Post Edited:2007-01-23 00:39:00

#2 Posted by Brunbb (41 posts) - - Show Bio

No. You don't become an Avenger just because you can beat people up.

#3 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#4 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he should be an X-man, even if he isn't technically a mutant.

#5 Posted by G-Man (18889 posts) - - Show Bio

I do love Deadpool but I think it'd be too much if he was on the Avengers. Also I don't think they'd really go for the killing angle. I love the comic relief but Spidey added enough when he was on the team. Deadpool works better solo or in a duet. La la laaaaaa.

Staff
#6 Posted by Fierce Almond (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool should be in everything. Kind of what Bendis is doing for Spidey and Wolverine. Just slap him in every comic.

#7 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

Imagine it: Wolverine, Spiderman and Deadpool in their own comic. They could take on the world! I mean, two of them are already unkillable...and the JOKES spidey and wade would have!

#8 Posted by Mind (256 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see him in the avengers. why not?

#9 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

Brunbb says:

"No. You don't become an Avenger just because you can beat people up."

What other requirements would one need?

G-Man says:

"I do love Deadpool but I think it'd be too much if he was on the Avengers. Also I don't think they'd really go for the killing angle. I love the comic relief but Spidey added enough when he was on the team. Deadpool works better solo or in a duet. La la laaaaaa."

...Too much of a good thing? And Deadpool didn't kill or savagely beat people when he was Cable's pet maniac, so he can restrain himself.

I believe some of the people are thinking of putting Deadpool in the New Avengers. While that would keep Deadpool and Cable on good terms, the Mighty Avengers could be an option.

Post Edited:2007-01-23 21:26:10

#10 Posted by Brunbb (41 posts) - - Show Bio

How many other people have become Avengers just because they could beat someone up?

#11 Posted by Fierce Almond (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine?

Wait no, I think he might be in there because he smokes cigars better than anyone in the marvel universe. Even Nick Fury, and that's saying something.
Post Edited:2007-01-24 06:26:18

#12 Posted by Brunbb (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is in there to sell books. He sells better than Deadpool.

#13 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

He sells more because he got pushed down everyone's throats. If Deadpool had as much exposure, he'd sell just as much. But as it is, he has a much smaller, but much more dedicated fanbase.

#14 Posted by Brunbb (41 posts) - - Show Bio

But he doesn't sell as well.

#15 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool has had two limited series and his own currently ongoing series for 11 years. Only a couple of characters that are in, or have been in the Avengers could claim even a fraction of that success.

Post Edited:2007-01-26 09:29:42

#16 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Before New Avengers hit, the team was made up of mostly B-listers who don't sell on their own. Deadpool isn't likely to become an Avenger, because it's not really in his character. Deadpool is a mercenary and is regarded by most as such, he's certainly not exactly the altruistic soul Captain America would be looking for.

#17 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

That's true, but he wants to be a part of something bigger and is constantly conflicted with himself.

Deadpool's behavior and logic slightly changes from writer to writer, but he has key characteristics that shine with each incarnation. Deadpool may not be a selfless defender of justice, but he is eager and very capable. He also tries to do what he thinks is right, which is why he ends up helping the heroes so often. And not only that, but he's very loyal to those who manage to get personally close to him.

Here are a few examples:

" />http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Deadpool/Death/Death_1.jpg

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Deadpool/Cable/Cable1.jpg[/url]

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Deadpool/Cable/Cable7.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.x-men.pl/summaries/deadpool_v3/graf/dpl031b.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.x-men.pl/summaries/cable_deadpool/graf/cdp017b.jpg[/url]

[url]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2265/deadpool028195wu.jpg[/url]

[url]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9221/deadpool028213or.jpg[/url]

[url]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2112/deadpool028223cp.jpg[/url]

[url]http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=deadpool37p176pp.jpg[/url]

[url]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1571/dddp446xb.jpg[/url]

Post Edited:2007-01-26 12:17:40

#18 Posted by Brunbb (41 posts) - - Show Bio

It's obvious you're just going to follow your blind fan boyism and not accept the fact that Deadpool is not Avengers material.

#19 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

I've just shown some evidence that Deadpool is a champion and wants to be a hero. Deadpool just lacks guidance, which has come in the forms of Siryn and Cable. Just a discussion, not fanboyism.

Post Edited:2007-01-27 18:57:15

#20 Posted by Dead_pool (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Fuck, Yeah! At least in the New Avengers

#21 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

When I heard about the Mighty Avengers, I was wondering why Deadpool wasn't considered. But he has done alot of soul-searching and inner-growing since then and that may not have been possible if he was a member of the Mighty Avengers. I think he's more than ready now, especially after his recent partnership with Captain America. But he doesn't have to join the Avengers, any team would be good... which team is Siryn on right now? I want them to rekindle their friendship, if not something... more. <3

But, after the last issue, I'm thinking the only team Deadpool's going to be a part of is Agency-X. But I do want Deadpool back with Siryn, or getting the respect he deserves from respected heroes.

#22 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Respect? The guy is worse then Spiderman. At least Spidey doesn't run his mouth 24/7. I like trash talking, when its above the level of a 7th grader. Personally I cant stand Deadpool.

#23 Posted by fesak (6981 posts) - - Show Bio

I like DP, but he wouldn't fit in in Avengers. Maybe Great Lakes Avengers, where he is a reserve member. So you could say he is an Avenger.

#24 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

They're the Great Lakes Initiative now.

#25 Posted by iwan (572 posts) - - Show Bio

A-Rod will sooner join the Red Sox than Deadpool will join the Avengers. The Avengers aren't just there so that every popular character can get in to more comics. You're obviously a fanboy of his, so why ruin him ?

#26 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

depends who is writing it... deadpools a comedian with a weird sence of humour, the writer would have to be good with deadpool and that would be difficult. avengers characters normally get stuffed up alittle cause the writers dont truly understand the character... eg iron fist is like the 80s iron fist in the new avengers

#27 Posted by fesak (6981 posts) - - Show Bio

DEADPOOL says:

"They're the Great Lakes Initiative now."

I still call them Great Lakes Avengers because they change their name all the time anyway.

#28 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Deadpool. He's a very underrated character. Another Canadain weapon X character, with a healing factor, tons of weapons and amazing martial arts training-that's awesome!

I think part of his appeal is being solo and somewhat of an unknown. Putting Deadpool in the Avengers would have been like putting Moonknight in the Westcoast Avengers like they did in the 80's.

It would have been nice to see him in Omega Flight since he's Canadain-it would have made a lot more sense than USAgent.

But I agree that the character needs more press. He should appear more in a story arcs; maybe teaming up with Wolverine or Daredevil or Iron Fist. I mean, he already took out Taskmaster but hardly anyone even knows about that. (unfortunately)

#29 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven says:

"I like Deadpool. He's a very underrated character. Another Canadain weapon X character, with a healing factor, tons of weapons and amazing martial arts training-that's awesome!I think part of his appeal is being solo and somewhat of an unknown. Putting Deadpool in the Avengers would have been like putting Moonknight in the Westcoast Avengers like they did in the 80's.It would have been nice to see him in Omega Flight since he's Canadain-it would have made a lot more sense than USAgent.But I agree that the character needs more press. He should appear more in a story arcs; maybe teaming up with Wolverine or Daredevil or Iron Fist. I mean, he already took out Taskmaster but hardly anyone even knows about that. (unfortunately)"

That first line almost sounds like sarcasm, lol.

What appeals to me about Deadpool is that he is such a sympathetic character that you just want good things to happen to him and succeed. He's a physically and emotionally scarred person that uses humor to hide his insecurities and poor social skills. His life has just never been fair, he has never had anyone to support him or believe in him, and he has obvious mental disabilities. He does bad things because that's all he ever knew how to do, but he's an inherently good person that tries to put his life together and do the right things; but in the end he doesn't get the girl, walk off into the sunset, or get his name chanted by a crowd... he's an underdog that everyone expects to fail, few people like him, and any progress he has made putting his life back together usually just falls apart.

And I personally think that if Deadpool got more press, he'd be a break-out character. But as things are, he's like Marvel's little secret. He has a dedicated fan-base, but it could be so much more. Hell, he isn't even going to be in the Messiah Complex with Cable... Deadpool should be leading that whole event!

Post Edited:2007-11-01 18:56:05

#30 Posted by WindStalker (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#31 Posted by The Iron Cavalier (231 posts) - - Show Bio

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"I think he should be an X-man, even if he isn't technically a mutant."

He's just as much a mutant is wolverine is. For exactly the same reason.

#32 Posted by fesak (6981 posts) - - Show Bio

The Iron Cavalier says:

"Cosmic Sentinel says:

He's just as much a mutant is wolverine is. For exactly the same reason."

Except that Wolverine is a mutant and Deadpool is not.

#33 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"The Iron Cavalier says:
"Cosmic Sentinel says:

He's just as much a mutant is wolverine is. For exactly the same reason."

Except that Wolverine is a mutant and Deadpool is not.

"

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

#34 Posted by fear monger (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

him on the avengers whould be cool.

but what he should really be in is a moive

come on think about it the "merc with the mouth" on the big screen. oh heck yah!

but who are they gonna get to play him ?

#35 Posted by Liverwurst (881 posts) - - Show Bio

fear monger says:

"him on the avengers whould be cool.but what he should really be in is a moivecome on think about it the "merc with the mouth" on the big screen. oh heck yah!but who are they gonna get to play him ?"

Young Jack Nicholson, via time machine.

#36 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing Deadpool w/ the New Avengers would be awesome!!! Deadpool+ Wolverine+ Spider-Man= Comic Gold/Genius! This has been an idea of mine for some time, and is something I'd really like to see.

#37 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Brunbb says:

"Wolverine is in there to sell books. He sells better than Deadpool."

If they wanted to sell the new avenger comics they were all ready doing it with spidy. Spidy is also one of the most popular heroes in marvel. I truly believe they only put wolverine on team so that the team has someone willingly to kill.

#38 Posted by Seviin The Ender (5 posts) - - Show Bio

i think o'l DP should do more stuff with docter strange. I mean this allows a lot of possibilites. plus we get to see deadpool in places he hasnt already been in. perhaps something on a more galactic scale. i mean hes already enemies with thanos. but who knows.

but lets take a look

the formula for deadpool.

deadpool kills. deadpool feels guilt. deadpool wants to be a hero. deadpool confronts an old enemy. deadpool kills. rinse. repeat.

#39 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Respect? The guy is worse then Spiderman. At least Spidey doesn't run his mouth 24/7. I like trash talking, when its above the level of a 7th grader. Personally I cant stand Deadpool."

i agree i cant stand deadpool

#40 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

What's wrong with 7th grade humour Mr. Poopypants?

#41 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"Apparition says:
"Gambler says:
"Respect? The guy is worse then Spiderman. At least Spidey doesn't run his mouth 24/7. I like trash talking, when its above the level of a 7th grader. Personally I cant stand Deadpool."
i agree i cant stand deadpool"
I like deadpool. He's awesome."

of course you do. 7th grade humor

#42 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"Gambler says:

I like deadpool. He's awesome.

#43 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"Copy says:
"Apparition says:
"Gambler says:
of course you do. 7th grade humor"

I laugh at everything. So its not just 7th grade humor. And like what cosmic sentiel said "Whats wrong with 7th grade humor?"

#44 Posted by fear monger (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"Rotten gun says:
"whats wrong with a character you can laugh at? deadpools great"
Agree."

same here,Avengers need a guy like DP

#45 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

whats wrong with a character you can laugh at? deadpools great

#46 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"whats wrong with a character you can laugh at? deadpools great"

Agree.

#47 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"Apparition says:
"Copy says:
"Apparition says:
"Gambler says:
I laugh at everything. So its not just 7th grade humor. And like what cosmic sentiel said "Whats wrong with 7th grade humor?""

hmmm. when my three year old cousin makes a joke i laugh because she's cute, but the joke isnt funny. when i read deadpool there's no cute little toddler to make the jokes cute so i'm just left with... nothing

#48 Posted by fear monger (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"Copy says:
"Apparition says:
"Copy says:
"Apparition says:
"Gambler says:
I laugh at everything. So its not just 7th grade humor. And like what cosmic sentiel said "Whats wrong with 7th grade humor?""
hmmm. when my three year old cousin makes a joke i laugh because she's cute, but the joke isnt funny. when i read deadpool there's no cute little toddler to make the jokes cute so i'm just left with... nothing"

some people think he funny some dont, its your opianin(i do think he is)

#49 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

fear monger says:

"Apparition says:
"Copy says:
"Apparition says:
"Copy says:
"Apparition says:
"Gambler says:
hmmm. when my three year old cousin makes a joke i laugh because she's cute, but the joke isnt funny. when i read deadpool there's no cute little toddler to make the jokes cute so i'm just left with... nothing"
some people think he funny some dont, its your opianin(i do think he is)"

lol some people like 7th grade humor ;)

look at how successful jim carrey's been!

#50 Posted by fear monger (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"fear monger says:
"Apparition says:
"Copy says:
"Apparition says:
"Copy says:
"Apparition says:
"Gambler says:
some people think he funny some dont, its your opianin(i do think he is)"
lol some people like 7th grade humor ;) look at how successful jim carrey's been!"

true

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.