Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Rhett Reese Discusses Writing Deadpool Script

mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By mavfan626

Deadpool #28
    Deadpool #28

nothing can top the buzz generated by Reese and Wernick's superhero movie, Deadpool, starring Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson. The two scribes have already finished two drafts for the feature and are eagerly awaiting a director to be attached to the project (a process that is no doubt going on as you read this). While Reese wouldn't speak to the rumored director would-be's he would, however, talk about the difficulty of making a Deadpool movie in general. 

What do you do with a character who's beloved for being "in the now" — in that you don't care how he came to be, or where he goes after this, you just love following him around. How do you create an arc for that character, given that his chief lure is his total shallowness?

"Ultimately, I think despite how fun he is in the now, we really did want to explore how he became that way and why he became that way, we definitely delve into that," Reese answered. "He's a warped character, and that's why he's so fun to write. Various writers have tackled him and I think that particular club of people have always enjoyed being able to just go places with a character that you wouldn't be able to go with any other character. Because he's completely crazy. That's the joy of writing him. You don't have to place any limits on decorum, or what might pop into his head, what reference he might make to pop culture. He'll go anywhere and say anything and that's the joy of writing him. So we really enjoy that but we also did enjoy exploring a little bit of his origin." 

As for other challenges with Deadpool, specifically casting one of Hollywood's prettiest Canadians for a role where the character spends the majority of his comic book panel time in a mask, Reese noted that the movie will show all three shades of Wade. "I think there's a good balance in the movie of seeing Wade Wilson pre-Deadpool and seeing his scarred face post-becoming Deadpool and having the mask on — which is how most comic fans envision Deadpool, is with the mask on." Though he neglected to mention how much of the screen time we spend with each. Although the Deadpool script seemed like it was all but finished for the two Hollywood screenwriters, rewrites will most certainly happen once a new director comes on board. "We're very, very proud of the script, so I wouldn't say we hope it doesn't get rewritten too much, because there are probably ways it could be improved... but that said, we hope it doesn't get rewritten too much," Reese joked.

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By G Bird

I can't wait to see the movie.... 2012 right?

mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By mavfan626

@G Bird: As far as I know.. yeah 2012

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.