Reynolds Says Deadpool Movie has "Absolutely No Connection" to Wolverine

• 59 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
 The real question is... just how ugly are they going to make this pretty boy?

So Ryan Reynolds is saying that the DEADPOOL solo movie is going to have “absolutely no connection” to X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE and I can’t say I’m too surprised.  Not a bit. Sure, DP being headless and mouth-less might seem like big obstacles to overcome, but there really aren’t any continuity cops in these circles who’ll blow the whistle on somebody fudging some “history” to tell a new story for a movie. Remember how Bishop’s creator (no, not that one) showed up in ALIEN VS. PREDATOR and died gruesomely after he’d already shown up in ALIEN3’s far-flung-future? It’s not like anybody was looking for a yellow footnote to pop up on the bottom of the screen explaining the discrepancy.

Getting back on topic, Reynolds also told Total Film (by way of the Coventry Telegraph) that the script's going to be harder than the comic, straddling the treacherous line dividing PG-13 and R. It’s still going to follow the comic’s tone as closely as possible (I.E. the fourth wall will be broken "many times".) Barring the addition of some deadly F-Bombs to DP’s arsenal, I always figured the comic would already be a "hard R" if it were filmed exactly as illustrated. Gore's a little less intense on paper, you know?  

But the most relevant question is... how will this fit into Reynolds' commitments to GREEN LANTERN? == TEASER == 

In Double-R's eyes, there's no conflict whatsoever.  GL’s a straight-up superhero movie, while DP is a superhero deconstruction.  Other commitments and R.I.P.D. aside, I think it’s pretty clear this guy's dead-set on DEADPOOL. Maybe this Canuck just wants to put one of Canada’s biggest heroes up there, but I’ve rarely seen an actor committed to a role this vocally and consistently.  He's a fan and he really wants to do it. It's going to happen eventually. 

While we're on the subject of DEADPOOL adaptations, might I humbly direct you to the latest Preview Theater, wherein myself and inferiorego lend our voices to DP's latest gun-blasting, blade-swinging adventure?

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS! &  UNIMAGINABLE.Order them on Amazon   here  & here.

#1 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

He's REALLY starting to annoy me now...

#2 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

So happy to hear its a not connected to that wolverine movie XD Sounds like RR really wants this character to be accurate so we might get a good x-men related origin movie 

#3 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (583 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm on the one hand happy to hear some 'news' that Ryan Reynolds still seems to plan on doing the Deadpool movie etc. Also happy about the direction the movie seems to be taking.

On the other hand, I'm getting a bit tired of these conversations while there seems to be almost no progress being made in the actual making of the film.

#4 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Who would have thought that a Rob Liedfeld Deathstroke rip-off from the 90s would ever be immortalized and canonized into the public consciousness via film? 

Deadpool will join the likes of Spawn and Hellboy as 90s creations who've made it to the silver screen as stars of their own feature films.

#5 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

So are they gonna ignore the movie all together? It wont be hard to not ignore it. All they have to do it say his cut the skin to open his mouth and ripped out the blades. maybe he lost his eye beams when his head was cut off. Done. He's already disfigured so there you go. not ignoring wolverine, while also now doing a new story. That wasn't hard.

It's funny you mention how deadpool is Canadian, just made me realize that two of marvels characters that they over expose (wolverine and deadpool) are Canadians. sweet! ha ha

#6 Posted by 123422 (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, let's just hope this makes a great Deadpool movie, i have big hopes for this, don't fail me now (crosses fingers)

#7 Posted by sora_thekey (8105 posts) - - Show Bio

Every time he talks about this movie, he makes it sounds better and better...
I hope it comes through in the end!

#8 Posted by Duncan (11325 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care anymore about info. I just wanna see some progress

#9 Posted by Benuben (230 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious:

Who?
#10 Posted by Rheged (619 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a Deadpool fan, but I'd definitely go see Ryan Reynolds play him in a movie.  If his Hannibal King performance is any indication, he'd be perfect!

#11 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... he's been talking about the Deadpool solo movie years before he even got the Green Lantern role, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he's still passionate about it.

#12 Posted by AirDave817 (786 posts) - - Show Bio

We will see what we will see...

#13 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio
@Benuben: Ryan Reynolds, he's really starting to frickin annoy me now...
#14 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

Good. The Wolverine movie was SO inaccurate with Deadpool, and Deadpool needs a mouth.
#15 Posted by NexusOfLight (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy.

#16 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

they ruined deadpool in wolverine. give him a new start

#17 Posted by darkwolverineUSMC (315 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd go see it.

#18 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

i cant stand deadpool any more.

#19 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Duncan said:
" I don't care anymore about info. I just wanna see some progress "
#20 Posted by BuddyBulson (427 posts) - - Show Bio

they only got two things wring in the movie really. the eye beams & blades. 
 he always finds teleporters, he has had his mouth sewn shut a few times, and hes a bad as fighter. 

yes it might have not been the best but everyone if flipping out for one reason. it was what it was.

#21 Posted by G Bird (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

That's awesome, but we already knew this. I want some news on progress of the film! Or even announcements on who else will appear in it.

#22 Posted by MichaelBach (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Better they combine the movies into one. "DeadLantern".

#23 Posted by 614azrael (10238 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative:
the fact that they shut him up made for a good moment he shud hav undone it tho shortly after, i mean hes the merc with a mouth after all. hopefuly it actuly gos into production
#24 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as the film stays close to the original comic book story, I'm happy.
#25 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want news on the actual movie's progression

#26 Posted by Shatterstar (4437 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason a yellow footnote explaining the disparity strikes me as an awesome idea... Can't say it having nothing to do with Wolverine is a bad thing.

I was watching a bit of Origins last week...the more I see it the more I think they blew it. Not only did they bury the possibility of Gambit being a breakout character, but future Wolverine movies will have to rely on the first's kinda crappy origin.

#27 Posted by Abnormally Warm Guy (1297 posts) - - Show Bio

You thought it'd be R? Why do people keep thinking this. It's box office suicide.

#28 Edited by The Impersonator (4304 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good that the Deadpool movie will have no connection to that sick garbage film. I like Deadpool. He's a funny character. Even though I haven't read his solo series, I have read featuring him in Cable and Ms. Marvel series. Right now, I'm reading Wolverine Origins series. Can't wait to see him in humorous action.
#29 Posted by Dipic (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool... *yawn*

#30 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio
@Abnormally Warm Guy said:
"You thought it'd be R? Why do people keep thinking this. It's box office suicide. "

Exactly.
#31 Posted by Shipwreck (114 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad he's doing it. Out of all the actors and actress' he's the only cares about the actual character. With his love for Deadpool he might be able to really pull together a good Deadpool movie.

#32 Posted by RoosterCogburn (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, that's a load off my chest.

#33 Posted by ComicMan24 (147004 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a good thing that it won't be connected to the Wolverine movie. I think he will be good as Deadpool.

#34 Posted by k4tzm4n (35159 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool had a mouth in Wolverine: Origins but it was sewn shut.  And that actually did happen (according to Deadpool, X-Force #2)

Staff
#35 Posted by ShomyCar092 (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you Lord!!

#36 Posted by Darkchild (40542 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" Every time he talks about this movie, he makes it sounds better and better... I hope it comes through in the end! "
#37 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be nice to see a good deadpool movie...not being connected to wolverine is a good start.
#38 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the reboot ideaaaaaaaaa, i mean is easy to explian why the character change into deadpool, but really? a reboot, i mean, why, this means is another universe?
Then why to keep Ryan and dont try with another acto?r, becuase this is annoying.
But damn, i rebot?
I mean how many year pass from Batman and Robin to Batman Begins, i mean, damn.

#39 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#40 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's starting to think he's REALLY Deadpool....

#41 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio
@Abnormally Warm Guy:  For the fact he belives he is Deadpool.
I mean it was cute, now is annoying
@Vance Astro said:

" I think he's starting to think he's REALLY Deadpool.... "

Yeah, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale and all the other actors should go and try to help him to remmeebr him, he is not Deadpool and he have no powers.
#42 Posted by Aspenite (892 posts) - - Show Bio

I´ll be happy when this film hits the screens!

#43 Posted by 123422 (1013 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aspenite said:
" I´ll be happy when this film hits the screens! "
Yup, and hoping so hard it doesn't suck
#44 Posted by Undeadpool (460 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Ryan Rennolds was the best part of X-Men Origins, so as far as I'm concerned, he can reboot whatever the fuck he wants. I was secretly hoping for an R, but after the trifecta flops of Watchmen, Kick-Ass and Punisher: War Journal, it's not surprising to see them trying to hit PG-13. Still, they could go Dark Knight-style PG-13 and still have effective violence.

Staff
#45 Posted by Chaos Burn (1755 posts) - - Show Bio

at leas tthis means they're gonna make the movie

#46 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio
@Undeadpool said:
" I thought Ryan Rennolds was the best part of X-Men Origins, so as far as I'm concerned, he can reboot whatever the fuck he wants. I was secretly hoping for an R, but after the trifecta flops of Watchmen, Kick-Ass and Punisher: War Journal, it's not surprising to see them trying to hit PG-13. Still, they could go Dark Knight-style PG-13 and still have effective violence. "
Actually the only way to obtain R rating is if you use "bad words" and you have nongay sex on screen, without a getting out of the bed, also if some one is naked big part of the movie, in a noncomedy style.
Very bizzare, buyt those are the reasons, why even Deadpool have a hard time to be a R rated movie.scene.
#47 Posted by theundead (100 posts) - - Show Bio

wew thanx it aint connected....

#48 Posted by Undeadpool (460 posts) - - Show Bio
@DeathpooltheT1000 said:
" @Undeadpool said:
" I thought Ryan Rennolds was the best part of X-Men Origins, so as far as I'm concerned, he can reboot whatever the fuck he wants. I was secretly hoping for an R, but after the trifecta flops of Watchmen, Kick-Ass and Punisher: War Journal, it's not surprising to see them trying to hit PG-13. Still, they could go Dark Knight-style PG-13 and still have effective violence. "
Actually the only way to obtain R rating is if you use "bad words" and you have nongay sex on screen, without a getting out of the bed, also if some one is naked big part of the movie, in a noncomedy style. Very bizzare, buyt those are the reasons, why even Deadpool have a hard time to be a R rated movie.scene. "
I really don't think that's correct. Why do you think movies like Inception don't have blood whenever someone gets shot (unless it's dramatic)? Rambo (the most recent one) had very little swearing, but I guarantee it still would've been R. The things that you listed are definite ways to R, but violence can do it too. That's why PG-13 movies are so bloodless.
Staff
#49 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME. Screw anything resembling continuity.  

You made a mistake deal with it. why is there a reboot fetish going on with marvel? 

#50 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Reynold's enthusiasm for the project is infectious, but I'm still harboring some doubts.  I think he can pull it off with the right script and the right director, so I guess time will tell.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.