Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3321 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Remembering Deadpool from 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'

• 57 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

With both the regular and the "red band" trailer launching yesterday for the 2016 film Deadpool, it may be time to go back to 2009 to see Wade Wilson's first cinematic appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine to really fully appreciate the awesomeness in the trailer.

Ryan Reynolds played the role of Wade Wilson in the Wolverine origins film and the opening introduction to the character has him cleaning off his sword and spouting quip after quip, and he gets told he has a big mouth, which is true, but he's totally funny. Now, this is supposed to be a "pre-Deadpool" Wade. That's pretty clear, as the film goes on.

No Caption Provided

The team made of characters like Sabretooth and Blob make their way up an elevator, and Wade rushes in and swings his swords around, ricocheting bullets back at the shooters, killing them all. Ok, that was a bit silly, but every time Wade talks, it's awesome and the idea that he's a really awesome mercenary is pretty cool too. The sword swinging, well that's a tad forgivable. Why does everyone keep telling Wade that "he'd be the perfect soldier, if it weren't for his mouth?" There's no way they're foreshadowing something later on, right?

No Caption Provided

He's so good with swords that he can cut a bullet in half and the pieces of said cut bullet take out two shooters? I can still forgive that. It looked cool, right? Wade gets told a couple more times that he's a loudmouth. Why do people keep pointing that out? There's no way that'll come back into play later on though, right? Anyway, after this whole scene and a following one where Wolverine stops Sabretooth from killing random folks, after Stryker, the guy running the show, said "kill em all" (not literally, mind you), Wade Wilson disappears, and the movie starts to head pretty far south, which stinks because the opening to the film and the opening credits were so awesome and even this whole scene with the swinging swords was pretty awesome too.

No Caption Provided

Later on, we get to see Wade again, in Stryker's lab, and Wade is referred as "Weapon XI." We catch a quick glimpse of him and... wait, why is his mouth sewn up? At this point, Wade is being turned into Deadpool, and Stryker has been collecting mutants around the world, but for no reason, obviously. There's no way that will come into play with this character, right?

No Caption Provided

Wolverine and crew free a whole bunch of mutants Stryker had locked up and as they're heading out, "Wade" makes his entrance as Deadpool... kinda. Wait... so that whole "you have a big mouth" thing everyone kept saying WAS foreshadowing? Man, that went way over my head! This "Deadpool" has giant adamantium blades coming from each arm. He actually looks really familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

No Caption Provided

Not sure what all the black lines are on the guy either, but Deadpool is controlled by Stryker, through a computer and some brain implants or something. Deadpool also has more abilities. He can heal fast and he can teleport and he's a pretty tough opponent for both Wolverine and Sabretooth.

No Caption Provided

Wait... he has Cyclops' optic blasts too? Oh! I get it now! Deadpool, being controlled by Stryker completely, is essentially dead, and in addition, he has all these super-human abilities and is like a "pool" of mutant powers. Hence the name "Deadpool." It's like the writer of the film knew two things about the character: he talks a lot and his name is Deadpool. Anyway, he gets his head cut off and dies...

No Caption Provided

Or is he? MWAHAHAHAHA!

Here's the thing, I'm a big supporter of well-written, well-established adaptations of characters as long as the essence of the character is still there. If this whole film was about the Wade Wilson from the beginning of the film turning on the other mutants, for Stryker because Stryker held something over his head, that would have worked fine because Ryan Reynolds portrayal of Wade Wilson felt like a toned-down Deadpool. In fact, it also wouldn't completely muck-up that third act.

However, the direction was so far off it was unrecognizable, which can work if it really adds something to the movie or character, but it felt more like it stripped down the character, and frankly, it felt like those involved with making the film were trying way too hard to make something "cool," and when that happens, it always undoubtedly uncool. Anyway, let's forget the whole movie happened and appreciate everything the new Deadpool trailer has to offer fans, starring Ryan Reynolds, the only thing that worked for Deadpool in the early moments of Wolverine.

The real Deadpool fires his way into theaters on February 12, 2016.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Fallschirmjager

No thanks. I'm good.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Deadpool should fight Barakapool at the end of the movie.

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

RememberingForgetting Deadpool From X-Men Origins Wolverine

MultipleMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some things should be forgotten.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Why would you want to remember that?

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By KritikalMassX

I think the 2009 movie would've been passable if Wolverine joined Alpha Flight as well, before he became a X-Man. Hell, I wish there was a Alpha Flight movie also...A live action Guardian and Puck would be awesome.

haoalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By haoalchemist

@lukehero said:

LOL

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

Loading Video...

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By zombietag

it's pretty incredible that ryan reynolds still has the fans support. i mean really, it's REALLY similar to ben affleck trying daredevil again.

"However, the direction was so far off it was unrecognizable, which can work if it really adds something to the movie or character, but it felt more like it stripped down the character, and frankly, it felt like those involved with making the film were trying way too hard to make something "cool," and when that happens, it always undoubtedly uncool."

i agree, and i remember this movie starting really great and actually loving it, then just wondering what happened and why it got SO bad. still, to this day, i think it's the only modern super hero film i felt had pretty much no redeeming qualities at all.

favorite scene is still stryker typing in "de... cap... it... tate...." and then deadpool trying to slice logans head off.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to remember you can't make me!!!

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to remember you can't make me!!!

SpiderAidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still not over his movie.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

That's not a strange adaptation, it's just plain bad and a bad joke to the character.

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
    GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deadpool_the_merc_with_a_mouth
    Deadpool_The_Merc_With_A_Mouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Deadpool - The Merc Without a Mouth.

Those were the bad days.

【=◈︿◈=】

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about we don't remember him and just erase Wolverine Origins alltogether.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

This movie would have been better if it ended after the first 30 minutes.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@pelykan said:

How about we don't remember him and just erase Wolverine Origins alltogether.

Days of Future Past actually did that already.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remembering Deadpool from 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is just flat out cruel. You should feel bad because you are bad. Bad.

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A terrible character that wasn't funny or cool..........seems like a pretty accurate Deadpool to me.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BappyRonChantin

the guy who wrote that part was clearly insane

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

it's pretty incredible that ryan reynolds still has the fans support. i mean really, it's REALLY similar to ben affleck trying daredevil again.

I think the reason he has any support at all is because he actually did a good job as Wade Wilson in Wolverine Origines. The problem wasn't his acting, not by a long shot. And he didn't decide to make a mess of the actual Deadpool character at the end or write the terrible script. Same goes for Affleck as far as I'm concerned. He wasn't the problem with that movie.

Plus, look at the trailer for new Deadpool. To me he pretty much hits the bullseye.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
    IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad Reynolds is getting a chance to do the character right. He actually did a pretty good job as "pre-Deadpool", but there was no saving that movie, especially since they took away his best asset. Then I thought he did a good job as GL too, but again, one actor can't save a terribly written movie (or compensate for other bad performances). He was pretty adamant about Deadpool needing to be an R-rated film and I feel like his push is at least part of the reason we're not getting a watered down character this time around.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, this article makes me remember how confused I was at the end of this movie. It was one of the first times I was truly disappointing by a movie I went to see in the theatre. I was in shock I think.

But remember how much fun the Wolverine Origins Game was?? It got pretty repetitive but I actually had a lot of fun with it. So much stabbing!!!

Loading Video...

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

the one thing i hope the new movie keeps are those sick sword-swinging skills he had

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#30  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

OH THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

~MiB

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: YES! X-Men: Origins Uncaged Edition FTW!!! It's the bloody violence I always wanted in a Wolverine movie...

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By nappystr8

I honestly have no problem with the way Deadpool was portrayed in Wolverine. I thought Reynolds was great as Waid Wilson, and it only makes sense that Stryker would attempt to sew his mouth shut, the optic blasts and hand blades were a bit much, but they could easily be explained away as part of the powers graft that didn't take in the long run. He was never Deadpool in that movie, because he had not yet gained free-agency from Weapon X, had they continued with that version, he could easily have grown into the Deadpool we all know and love.

This is not at all to say that I am not digging the new comic accurate version though.

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme:Yes but I meant to literally erase all copies of the film.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal:

Yeah, I wish they had made a sequel with more playable characters. They had the action dialed in.

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000 said:

@indomitableregal:

Yeah, I wish they had made a sequel with more playable characters. They had the action dialed in.

QFT

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god thats over, now unto a new and better future 8)

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly have no problem with the way Deadpool was portrayed in Wolverine. I thought Reynolds was great as Waid Wilson, and it only makes sense that Stryker would attempt to sew his mouth shut, the optic blasts and hand blades were a bit much, but they could easily be explained away as part of the powers graft that didn't take in the long run. He was never Deadpool in that movie, because he had not yet gained free-agency from Weapon X, had they continued with that version, he could easily have grown into the Deadpool we all know and love.

This is not at all to say that I am not digging the new comic accurate version though.

then they shouldn't have refered to him as deadpool in the movie, called him it, and then put the name deadpool on the action figures box. He could have just been another weapon XI and been a perfectly fine android character or something, but no, they took wade wilson and made deadpool into that, that's why it's so odd. He was portrayed as something, but it's not like it was anything remotely close to deadpool. That's like turning the hulk into a werewolf in one film and being okay with how it is portrayed because of the transformation sequences.

Avatar image for bullet_to_the_head
    Bullet_to_the_Head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

At the very least he needs to make a reference

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two observations.

1. Character wasn't actually named Deadpool. He was Weapon XI. The "Deadpool" was technically the mix of powers that were going to make up his set.

2. I actually liked the movie. The one issue I really had with it was the "Adamantium can break Adamantium" thing that eventually left us with Logan declawed of his Adamantium. It brought us a truly badass Sabretooth, was a fast and enjoyable popcorn film, and Jackman was great as always.

It wasn't perfect but it sure doesn't deserve the dislike it gets.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a totally unnecessary article.

First off, what the hell is so wrong with Wade deflecting bullets? It was badass beyond belief.

Not sure what all the black lines are on the guy either,

Do you even Xmen? They put those on Wolverine to know where the adamantium drills should go when they give him the coated skeleton., logically Deadpool would also have them.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#42  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I want someone to say to Deadpool in the Deadpool movie that "he'd be a pefect soldier if he could just shut his mouth" only to have Deadpool look at the audience and say "Don't worry guys I won't be shooting beams out of my eyes in this movie." That would be so funny and very Deadpool.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why even remind us?

Nolidoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kid Apollo

im so glad this movie is finally coming out...

so ppl will stop b*tching about the movie that never came out

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluelantern1995: yeah that would be cool but if a soldier says that i would want deadpool to be all like NO! NEVER AGAIN! And cuts the guys head off.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Man, that was a train wreck after the great beginning with Wade. It's like the creators decided "Ha ha! I got it, Deadpool's tagline is 'merc with a mouth', sooooo how about we remove his mouth altogether! Wa ha ha ha!!"

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

origins Wolverine take a character away from the comics and everyone hates it, Nolan does it to loads of Batman characters and everyone praises it. Double standards.

FrankenKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FrankenKong

So...Why is Colossus in this movie? I know they need to bring the whole Marvel universe together somehow...by why through the X-Men?

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frankenkong: Since Deadpool is FOX, and FOX have right only on X-Men and Fantastic Four. Do you want a Human Torch appear in Deadpool? [Your disappoint is right, but that is the sad reality...]

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.