Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3316 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

New to Deadpool

StooshD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StooshD

Hey guys and girls. Im new here and thinking of picking up a few Deadpool stories, i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good place to start?

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By SupremeHyperion

Deadpool v thunderbolts, Secret Invasion Deadpool (really funny) are really cool, but to be honest I'd just start up with his new series (I can't stand deadpool but his new series has entertained me a lot). Plus I'd check out the Xforce (that he was in) and new Thunderbolt series that just kicked off (he kills mimes)

EpicAssassin90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EpicAssassin90

ALL the joe Kelly stuff (can't stress that enough), cable and deadpool, merc with a mouth and his new series

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By The Lobster

Joe Kelly's stuff is the holy bible to Deadpool fans. 

You can get his entire run in volumes 1 to 5 of Deadpool Classic. Every character has that one writer that completely nailed who they are. Garth Ennis nailed the Punisher, Frank Miller nailed Daredevil, Ed Brubaker nailed Captain America, etc. Joe Kelly nailed Deadpool down to a tee and in my opinion you're not a true Deadpool fan till you've read his run. 

Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan's series is fun, and Gerry has promised that issue 7 will get a lot more dark and serious. It's been entertaining in the least and I think it's worth buying. 

Uncanny X-force was great and I can't recommend that enough, although Deadpool isn't given the spotlight all the time.

StooshD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StooshD

Thanks very much! Iv read Millers run on ol horny head and Ennis's run on the Punisher, so if Kelly is the comparable writer for Deadpool i think thats where ill start.

Zero_Shift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zero_Shift

Yeah, Joe Kelly's run is the absolute best place to start. All collected in the Deadpool Classic paperbacks. Next best option is Cable & Deadpool. A little more light-hearted but still good.

Avoid the Daniel Way material like the plague.

Liz_Lixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Liz_Lixx

I was going to ask where to start too, but my work has been done for me! Glad I checked the forums first. Joe Kelly it is!!

Avatar image for hulkslayert1000
    HulkSlayerT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HulkSlayerT1000

Read the very first and original deadpool comic.

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By RawrImADragon

You could totally start at Marvel NOW! Deadpool even if it's not my personal favorite iteration of the character. But I still think it's a good starting point because it basically showcases what you'll be in for with a character like Deadpool. Funny, over-the-top, and breaking the 4th wall. My favorite version of Deadpool is Remender's iteration in Uncanny X-Force but since you want to focus on Deadpool start with his latest series and then if you're still on board, go to his original series, and then try and catch up with the million other books Marvel decided to put him on in the last several years. I swear they're trying to groom him into the new Wolverine!

tea8765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By tea8765

@EpicAssassin90: Joe Kelly, Im gonna look into that, thanks.

First Deadpool I read was Deadpool Max, I really liked it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.