New to Deadpool

#1 Posted by Dizzy_Z (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi everyone! I have been reading comics for awhile (mostly Star Wars) and I was recently referred to Deadpool. I read some of his stuff and I love the humor! I really wanna get into his stuff but I don't know where to start. I wanna read everything but in chronological order! Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can get started???

#2 Posted by dagmar_merrill (10003 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd suggest getting the current Deadpool series, start at #13 or #7. 13 Just came out.

#3 Edited by chem86 (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Here are the important Deadpool stuff to read in chronological order.

1. new mutants 98 (first Deadpool apperance)

2. Circle Chase Deadpool (mini series, first deadpool book)

3. Joe Kelly written Deadpool ( This is widely liked by fans and really will help you understand the character of deadpool deeper.)

4. Cable and Deadpool (Personally my favorite deadpool series, and comic series of all time! Great humor, again learning more about who deadpool is as a character, and some amazing stories. Plus, this is written by Deadpool's co-creator!)

5. Deadpool NOW ( This is the current run, better run then the perivous deadpool series. Lots of different opinions on the current run but personally I'm really enjoying it, very well written story.

Also, you could read the danny way written series of deadpool but it really should be last on your list of deadpool to read. Most deadpool fan's really dislike the danny way run, some saying he ruined the character. Personally I didn't hate the series, I had a good time reading it, but I also agree that it's the worst written of the deadpool stuff out there. If you really want to read it thou in order, read danny way's run after cable and deadpool). Hope this helps :)

I should also note there is a lot more Deadpool than I listed that is worth reading. But if you're new to Deadpool this is what I would call the Deadpool starter kit. Great place to start is deadpool classics #1 TPB, it has new mutants 98, circle chase, mark waid mini series, and the first joe kelly written deadpool issue.

#4 Edited by The Lobster (1526 posts) - - Show Bio

@dizzy_z said:

Hi everyone! I have been reading comics for awhile (mostly Star Wars) and I was recently referred to Deadpool. I read some of his stuff and I love the humor! I really wanna get into his stuff but I don't know where to start. I wanna read everything but in chronological order! Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can get started???

Check out the Recommended Reading section.....that's what it's there for.

Also, even though it'll cost a pretty penny the upcoming Joe Kelly Omnibus is worth every penny. My recent blog explains why.

#5 Edited by Dizzy_Z (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you all very much for your input! I'm very excited to get started!!!

#6 Edited by madknight3 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm also someone who's new to Deadpool, and comics in general to be honest, but Deadpool has peaked my interest and you've gotta start somewhere right?

After much searching on what to read, I was thinking of going with "Deadpool Classic Vol 1 - 5" followed by "Cable and Deadpool Ultimate Collection 1-3" followed by "Deadpool: Suicide Kings". This seems to cover a lot of favourites from people so I don't think I'll go wrong.

I'm not sure what to expect from all the other stories in the classics volumes, but at least I can't go wrong with Joe Kelly's run. I may try out volumes 6-9 once I'm done with my list but no one seems to suggest reading Christopher Priest's stuff so I might just pass and go with the Uncanny X-Force, Deadpool (2013), or something else from the recommended reading list on this site.

#7 Posted by chem86 (398 posts) - - Show Bio

@madknight3: Good choice in starting with classics 1-5 and Cable and Deadpool! Those are the are for sure the ones I'd consider must reads. Priest's stuff it good too, it's just very over shadowed because he took over right after Kelly. Uncanny X-force is really awesome, the good part is its fun to see other cool characters as part of the team, the bad part is it's not just about deadpool. Uncanny xforce is great way to branch off to other stuff in comics but still get the daily does of deadpool

#8 Edited by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

You could easily just start with the current Deadpool series, it isn't too far along yet so there's not a ton of back reading, and its quite good.

#9 Posted by mxb (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@chem86: What he said is pretty right on. I'm not sure i would skip ways whole run. Might leave you confused if they reference it in future runs. You can probably be ok skipping 23 - 39 and the final DEAD story arc of ways run. I think you should check out the rest.

#10 Posted by madknight3 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@mxb: Yeah, I may end up going through most of his stuff just out of interest. After all, I may like some of the other stuff or at the very least, understand where people are coming from who dislike it. But it's good to know what most people consider to make up the best of Deadpool as those are must reads and gives me an idea of how people might judge the other stuff in comparison.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.